Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

not getting power to the factory tow plug. 05 f350

I went under the truck and uncliped the plug and used a light test on the individual receptacles. Nothing.

Lights on truck all work otherwise. Tried grounding the light on several spots, nothing.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 PM

Did your receptacle have power at one point? What does not have power, everything or 12V+ or what?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Sponsor

There is a fuse to the plug in the fuse box under the hood. Believe its a 10a check manual for sure though.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:01 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
Did your receptacle have power at one point? What does not have power, everything or 12V+ or what?
Yes it did. Everything is 12V. This piece of **** was working fine two weeks ago.

I don't believe there is a fuse box under my hood on the model year. So far, the only block I've found are relays.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducaticorse View Post
Yes it did. Everything is 12V. This piece of **** was working fine two weeks ago.

I don't believe there is a fuse box under my hood on the model year. So far, the only block I've found are relays.
You will have fuses for each connection it will ether be under the hood or under the dash. On my truck I think they are all 7.5 fuses Check your owners manual it will list everything.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:05 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruck661 View Post
You will have fuses for each connection it will ether be under the hood or under the dash. On my truck I think they are all 7.5 fuses Check your owners manual it will list everything.
I have checked the manual, and rechecked the manual. The only fuses relating to the trailer lighting are run lights and back up lights and they test out with the light. According to the manual, there is no under hood fuse box, only a three place relay block.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Sponsor

I have an 07 and have one under the hood
Old 01-23-2013, 04:14 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtandshan View Post
I have an 07 and have one under the hood
my truck is actually an 04, not an 05. Not sure if that makes a difference. Maybe I do have a fuse block under the hood, I havent found it yet, and the manual mentions nothing of it either. Is it possible for you to snap a pic of yours and post it here please?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I have checked the manual, and rechecked the manual. The only fuses relating to the trailer lighting are run lights and back up lights and they test out with the light. According to the manual, there is no under hood fuse box, only a three place relay block.
D/R OP just said it in above post

Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Yes it did. Everything is 12V. This piece of **** was working fine two weeks ago..
Yes everything is 12v but I meant the 12v supply. I ask because there are a few circuits. It is all harnesses so get tracing back to the fuse panel. Wouldn't be the first time either if your receptacle was corroded and the terminals bridged each other. The park relay I believe is under the hood by firewall. The fuses are under the dash. It is unlikely that everything went at once. Most likely is the ground went or corrosion got ya.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:58 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Yes everything is 12v but I meant the 12v supply. I ask because there are a few circuits. It is all harnesses so get tracing back to the fuse panel. Wouldn't be the first time either if your receptacle was corroded and the terminals bridged each other. The park relay I believe is under the hood by firewall. The fuses are under the dash. It is unlikely that everything went at once. Most likely is the ground went or corrosion got ya.
I have zero patience for tracing a bad ground or snapped/frayed wire. I will go buy a clip in 4 plug tomorrow and be done with it. I don't use trailer brakes anyway F this **** in this - 7 weather.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:00 PM

I'm confused you have power through the wires to connect a new 4 wire? 4 wires have a ground too.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:04 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
I'm confused you have power through the wires to connect a new 4 wire? 4 wires have a ground too.
On a simple clip in unit, the power is taken off of the tail lights. you splice directly into the tail lights.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:07 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

I only need brake/run/directional light
Old 01-23-2013, 05:12 PM

and a ground, could be cheaper to throw in a new ground wire first.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:22 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
and a ground, could be cheaper to throw in a new ground wire first.
Looks like the ground is bolted to the frame right by the end of the connector. It does not appear to be in bad shape either. I will give it a shot, but I don't see that being the culprit.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 PM
2000 Club Member

On my 02 F350 has a Power fuse that gives power to the brake,turn,tail lights fuse like a main fuse If it blows your trailer plug wont have power

Have you check the fuse panel make sure none is blown best way is with a test light