Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubota 8540 View Post
I view things like this.......is this equipment going to make ME money or am I working the equipment to pay for the equipment. I can really tell how other contractors are doing by the number of calls and emails I get. Most have tightened their belts and are trying to get back on their feet again or have battened down the hatches and are weathering the storm until things get better.

If the equipment is surely going to make ME money or save ME money I will invest in it. But this close to spring (about 1 month out) I'm thinking of holding out until warmer weather. Might take the time and add pre-wet to my spreader seeing how I already have 95% of the parts.
I agree with you. I think everything economically for your country and ours is less favorable than we're led to believe. Too many jobs lost, manufacturing plants closing or scaling back to skeleton work force. Housing here is starting to take a hit. Prices have been ballooned to the point of bursting. Household debt is at an all time high. We must be careful that's for sure. Maybe this coming fall....
Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF 5455 View Post
I agree with you. I think everything economically for your country and ours is less favorable than we're led to believe. Too many jobs lost, manufacturing plants closing or scaling back to skeleton work force. Housing here is starting to take a hit. Prices have been ballooned to the point of bursting. Household debt is at an all time high. We must be careful that's for sure. Maybe this coming fall....
Exactly what you described is right where the U.S. was just before the housing crash followed by everything else that was tied to it.

I'm looking just to experiment and toy with some new ideas but not make any major purchases or do any big spending. I used to think being 1 month ahead of the wolf was OK, now I'm thinking being 4-5 months ahead of the wolf is not quite enough.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Exactly what you described is right where the U.S. was just before the housing crash followed by everything else that was tied to it.

I'm looking just to experiment and toy with some new ideas but not make any major purchases or do any big spending. I used to think being 1 month ahead of the wolf was OK, now I'm thinking being 4-5 months ahead of the wolf is not quite enough.
Yes sir..I have a couple large purchases for business need to be taken care of. I get uneasy, stressed when more goes out than comes in. In my line of work, April and May are the worst months. Usually too wet to work, and the phone doesn't ring like it should. The mailman still stops out front, and my credit has to be kept on top. Nothing major this year in purchases. I have what I need. One never knows when the economy will go south. I wouldn't mind moving there, but keep my $$$.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:

How are things in your area ??? Is the economy rebounding and gaining speed ? Many ppl unemployed ? Any new manufacturing jobs moving in ? New / same president may bring you all prosperity this next 4 years.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:42 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF 5455 View Post
How are things in your area ??? Is the economy rebounding and gaining speed ? Many ppl unemployed ? Any new manufacturing jobs moving in ? New / same president may bring you all prosperity this next 4 years.
He did such a wonderful job of adding 5+ TRILLION to the national debt while taking care of his cronies that he was re-elected to add 5+ TRILLION to the national debt.

Truly an economic guru. He plans on spending his /our way to prosperity all with borrowed money. If we survive this it will be a miracle.

No new jobs. Locally, everybody is just existing. It's Illinois. We had to build a new prison as a retirement home to house our former governor's.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:53 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

But on the brighter side I can now add to our seasonal totals of 1/8" ice, 1/2" of snow and a couple frozen rain filled potholes. Today I can add another 1/8" of dry fluffy snow........Yahoooooo !
Old 01-23-2013, 10:58 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Should go out and take some surface temps and spray some 90/10 from my hand sprayer on that 1/8" snow. Nahhhhh,....... I think I'll go paint my living room and watch it dry.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
He did such a wonderful job of adding 5+ TRILLION to the national debt while taking care of his cronies that he was re-elected to add 5+ TRILLION to the national debt.

Truly an economic guru. He plans on spending his /our way to prosperity all with borrowed money. If we survive this it will be a miracle.

No new jobs. Locally, everybody is just existing. It's Illinois. We had to build a new prison as a retirement home to house our former governor's.
Haha.. It baffles me how that critter got back in. I guess the other party didn't have anyone with better ideas ???? Put them in a bag, shake them up, dump them out...SAME !!!

Afraid it's not going to get any better either. I worry about my kids future. Son is doing ok., daughter still in college. By the time she finishes, what she took for major won't be needed.

I get more concerned when I hear the politicians trying to do away with the American constitution...esp. the one dealing with disarming the people. Should NEVER happen.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:53 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Surface temps are as low as I have seen. -3.6F and warmest -1.3F Used a handheld and shot half a dozen different non snow covered areas and that was the range. So took a soup can and scattered some 90/10 and is looking great, instant melting, no slushing, no instant freeze. So I guess I will go paint the living room and keep an eye on the driveway while I watch paint dry.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

I'll have to check with a contractor I was on the phone with last night from Chicago, he was thinking of spraying some of his lots last night with 90/10 in anti-icing approach so he could go to work today. But as of right now I don't know if he went out and sprayed. Won't be able to call him until this evening.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:07 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Neighbors are already pretty certain I'm not quite right (matter of opinion). But I may have just confirmed it by taking pictures of an 1/8" of snow on my driveway.

Name:  1_22_13 002 (Small).jpg
Views: 100
Size:  47.3 KB

Wet, but no freeze. -3.6F surface temp, Air temp 19F, 20 ounces of 90/10

Top center of pic is 20 ounces of rock salt in a small circle

Last edited by Kubota 8540; 01-23-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I'll have to check with a contractor I was on the phone with last night from Chicago, he was thinking of spraying some of his lots last night with 90/10 in anti-icing approach so he could go to work today. But as of right now I don't know if he went out and sprayed. Won't be able to call him until this evening.
Going now to mix in my calcium brine....90/10 and do some spraying. It's now zero outside here. Let you know the results when I return.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:42 PM

im building one right now. im joining this club!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:07 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSS LLC View Post
Good. Did the pics help any?
Old 01-23-2013, 01:26 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Area in the picture is 10' x 20' = 200 square feet. If that had of been sprayed I think that 20 oz. would have completely covered that 200 sq ft. and at that rate. 100 oz / 1000 sq ft which is not quite 1 gallon/1,000 sq ft.or less than 40 gallons per acre.?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Area in the picture is 10' x 20' = 200 square feet. If that had of been sprayed I think that 20 oz. would have completely covered that 200 sq ft. and at that rate. 100 oz / 1000 sq ft which is not quite 1 gallon/1,000 sq ft.or less than 40 gallons per acre.?
I mixed my 90/10 brines and did some spraying. Air temp was minus 2, and not sure how Kubota checks ground temp....(i laid a thermometer on the asphalt. No sun shining). It read plus 3. The brine didn't freeze yet anyway...it melted the eighth inch we had nicely. I may go check in the morning to see what happened over night ???? Boy, it was cold out there...north wind wasn't friendly.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Hi there...how are things in Nebraska ???? Do you have snow ??? How much is on ground ??? I think you will like the results of the spraying with brine. Let us know how things turn out. Good luck to you.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:55 PM

kubota, the pics helped a lot!

questions first..

to get started without spending money on an electric valve, can i just open the shutoff between the pump and boom, start the engine and hop in the truck and roll on? (i know ill have a heavy spot, but if i do it at an entrance it will all get drug in by traffic)

will a 3/8x50 ft air hose reel work for a spray wand? (to do sidewalks and such) someone asked on this site but i cannot remember the answer.

we got 1" yesterday, and i spent all day plowing and then sanding. i could've spayed liquid down and been done at home! thats what pissed me off enough to go spend 800 dollars on supplies and start building. lol.

Im going to finish this year spreading straight LCC, and this summer i will set up a brine making system as money allows. i think i can sell a lot of farmers on paying me to spray the gravel roads in front of their houses and the local fairs to let me do dust controll too. *think* is the keyword here.

Last edited by GSS LLC; 01-23-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:21 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
kubota, the pics helped a lot!

questions first..

to get started without spending money on an electric valve, can i just open the shutoff between the pump and boom, start the engine and hop in the truck and roll on? (i know ill have a heavy spot, but if i do it at an entrance it will all get drug in by traffic)

will a 3/8x50 ft air hose reel work for a spray wand? (to do sidewalks and such) someone asked on this site but i cannot remember the answer.

we got 1" yesterday, and i spent all day plowing and then sanding. i could've spayed liquid down and been done at home! thats what pissed me off enough to go spend 800 dollars on supplies and start building. lol.

Im going to finish this year spreading straight LCC, and this summer i will set up a brine making system as money allows. i think i can sell a lot of farmers on paying me to spray the gravel roads in front of their houses and the local fairs to let me do dust controll too. *think* is the keyword here.
It sounds good in theory but I hit my switch alot...really it's not like you want to jump out 20 times on a 1 acre lot. Maybe if your spraying at $.10-.20 per gallon but I never got to making my brine system so spraying straight LCC at $.60 per gallon is the only option I have at the moment so using to much is not economical.

Under $100 for a toppet valve, solenoid, wiring, and a switch is a good investment.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 PM

Where can I buy one? Without going online