Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 01-21-2013, 05:33 PM

Burning up cutting edges.

We have 2 14' HD Arctics. We seem to be burning through the cutting edges on them pretty fast. Less then 100hrs on them and we are down to about a half inch left. Is this due to the fact we keep getting little snow fall and every time we push we are taking it right to the pavement? We are very happy with how they scrape and how they operate...just thought the edges would last a little longer. We are not putting down pressure on them. Run the loader arm down to the middle of the slip hitch and then we run the plow with the tilt to adjust the aggressiveness of the plow. The other question I have is has anyone noticed the outer left section wearing faster then the rest of them? Both of ours seem to be wore down about a 1/4" further then the rest of the sections. I thought it might be from running it up along curb and gutters that are a little higher then the rest of the pavement but we do that on both sides of the plow but it only seems to be on the left side. Thats all I have for now. Still happy with these plows so far. (cutting edges are fairly reasonable for replacement cost )

Member of

Old 01-21-2013, 05:38 PM
2000 Club Member

Lot of heat on them with not much snow on the ground.

www.grandviewlandscaping.com

Old 01-21-2013, 06:00 PM
2000 Club Member

I wont be of any help but for a comparisions sake, I had over 600 hours on mine before replacing the cutting edges and yes they are pretty reasonable in terms of cost.......
Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 AM

Concrete or asphalt? Our last what seems like forever on asphalt, not very long at all on concrete. Also make sure you check your outside skis. They ware down pretty fast on concrete as well, and those are PRICEY
Old 01-22-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview View Post
Lot of heat on them with not much snow on the ground.
You mean when you light up the night with a trail of sparks behind you those edges get hot? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick76 View Post
I wont be of any help but for a comparisions sake, I had over 600 hours on mine before replacing the cutting edges and yes they are pretty reasonable in terms of cost.......
I know..I read your post on that and thats why I thought ours would have lasted a little longer then they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeereguy View Post
Concrete or asphalt? Our last what seems like forever on asphalt, not very long at all on concrete. Also make sure you check your outside skis. They ware down pretty fast on concrete as well, and those are PRICEY
We are running on both surfaces. Id say more asphalt then concrete.

Member of

Old 01-22-2013, 03:47 PM
2000 Club Member

how forward of a tilt?

2014 Super Duty CCSB

2012 Western MVP in SS with Black wings...

http://www.youtube.com/user/1olddogtwo

http://www.arcticsnowandice.com/

See How Its Done Here:

http://www.sectionalsnopusher.com/

past trucks:
2013 SD 6.7 H&S tuned MVP3
2012 SD 6.7 spartan tuned MVP SS
2011 SD 6.7 spartan tuned WO
2008 SD 6,4 spartan tuned WO
2005 SD 6.0 sct tuned MVP
2005 SD 6.0 sct tuned MVP
2003 SD 6.0 sct tuned 8FT
2001 SD 7.3 8FT
1999 SD V 10 MVP
Old 01-22-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olddogtwo View Post
how forward of a tilt?
When the edges are brand new we are running them so you cant even see the triangle cut out in the side plates...i tell them just to curl it forward enough to it is making the surface clean...and if you need to scrape some hard pack off go a little forward till you are just past the triangle. But as the cutting edges ware you have to keep curling it forward to get the blade to make the surface clean. Right now with about 1/2" of cutting edge left you are running it well past the triangle cutout just to get it to clean the surface.

Member of

Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Farmer View Post
When the edges are brand new we are running them so you cant even see the triangle cut out in the side plates...i tell them just to curl it forward enough to it is making the surface clean...and if you need to scrape some hard pack off go a little forward till you are just past the triangle. But as the cutting edges ware you have to keep curling it forward to get the blade to make the surface clean. Right now with about 1/2" of cutting edge left you are running it well past the triangle cutout just to get it to clean the surface.
IDK Farmer... We wore ours out until just to the bottom of the trip edges (within 1/8") and it still cleaned very well at the normal angle as we always did with no tilting forward needed (now that said we'd see the triangles because of the warn cutting edges)

Last edited by Mick76; 01-22-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick76 View Post
IDK Farmer... We wore ours out until just to the bottom of the trip edges (within 1/8") and it still cleaned very well at the normal angle as we always did with no tilting forward needed (now that said we'd see the triangles because of the warn cutting edges)
I might be wrong on that part where I said as the edge wore we had to tilt the plow forward for normal pushing. I have run them enough to know what im doing (or so I thought) I'm just the guy driving around in the pickup making sure everyone is doing what they are suppose to be doing and I guess I just witnessed the pusher with the wore down edge that the triangle was showing. So as the cutting edges ware the plow part will be riding lower therefor the triangle will be showing even though you might not have it tilted forward into the scraping position...right? Anyone else have these mounted on a 924H with the quick attach? just seems like something isn't right.

Member of

Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Farmer View Post
I might be wrong on that part where I said as the edge wore we had to tilt the plow forward for normal pushing. I have run them enough to know what im doing (or so I thought) I'm just the guy driving around in the pickup making sure everyone is doing what they are suppose to be doing and I guess I just witnessed the pusher with the wore down edge that the triangle was showing. So as the cutting edges ware the plow part will be riding lower therefor the triangle will be showing even though you might not have it tilted forward into the scraping position...right? Anyone else have these mounted on a 924H with the quick attach? just seems like something isn't right.
I know the feeling, I don't get much seat time either. Hell this year we haven't push. Last year was 4 pushes, once in the machine.

Anyways I do spent a lot of time watching the sectional do its thing. We have them on 252's,924's and Volvo's. All the larger units are QC's. One of the things we stress to the new guys is not to roll the moldboards past the triangle unless scrapping up hardpack. The sectional should wear at a normal rate if the this way. Even as the cutting edge wears down the attack angle should be the same. I don't remember how many hours they are rated for but its in the hundreds. In reality, once the curl is set it should left alone. A lot of guys like to keep readjusting when its not needed.