Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 PM

Anyone using a salt spreader on your Jeep Wrangler?

I was wondering if any one is using a salt spreader on their Jeep wrangler? If so, what brand? Trailer hitch type I assume? weight issues? like it?
thanks
Ken
Old 01-16-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken643 View Post
I was wondering if any one is using a salt spreader on their Jeep wrangler? If so, what brand? Trailer hitch type I assume? weight issues? like it?
thanks
Ken
I just bought the Fisher 500 this season. Used it twice, I love it. Mounts right into my Class IV hitch. Hold about 350 pounds, and the unit probably weighs 60 pounds. I bought one of those hitch extenders so I didn't have to take my spare off. The pic attached isn't the best, but you get the idea.
Attached Images

2013 Ram 2500-Boss 8'2" V
SnowEx V-Pro 3000

2004 Jeep Rubicon-Boss 7'6" Poly

Some of the best subs in the world
Old 01-17-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&M Landscaping View Post
I just bought the Fisher 500 this season. Used it twice, I love it. Mounts right into my Class IV hitch. Hold about 350 pounds, and the unit probably weighs 60 pounds. I bought one of those hitch extenders so I didn't have to take my spare off. The pic attached isn't the best, but you get the idea.
Thanks for posting, I was considering it, I have a had a few requests for salt, not sure its enough for the investment. but then again if I offer it others may want it. Thanks again, looks like it hadles the unit well. I saw the fisher 1000 but looks like it might be to large for a wrangler.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:49 PM
2000 Club Member

I tried to offer salt/sand Out of 80 customers only 3 wanted it. not worth the investment for your rig. I did get a walk behind spreader this year, so far no one has wanted salt or sand

27 years plowing only Driveways (about 100 of them)

00 Jeep Wrangler, 7 1/2 Boss V with my DP, Front Air Shocks, Duel Batteries, Lead rear bumper, ARBs, Belt Driven Air Compressor, Dana 60 Rear End, Blizzak Tires

00 Wrangler 7 1/2 Fisher RD, Air Shocks, Duel Batteries, Lead rear Bumper, Blizzak Tires

95 Wrangler 7 1/2 Fisher RD Air shocks, Lead in the trunk, Duel Batteries, Blizzak tires
Old 01-17-2013, 05:02 PM
2000 Club Member

I've set a couple 4 cb ft snoway spreaders on wranglers.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:44 PM

I have a swisher,only thing I don't like you have to get out pull gate for salt to start coming out. if customer has bags of salt on site works better for jeep,you can't carry alot of salt in jeep.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:35 AM

Ken....used to run a buyers( the 600 pound one) on a yj I had. Never filled it up all the way but out of 75 drives we ended up with a dozen or so that wanted salt. Was around $600 per event....easy money after plowing. Had a soft top on it so we could reach in after zipping up window.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken643 View Post
Thanks for posting, I was considering it, I have a had a few requests for salt, not sure its enough for the investment. but then again if I offer it others may want it. Thanks again, looks like it hadles the unit well. I saw the fisher 1000 but looks like it might be to large for a wrangler.
Ken,

I picked up the Western 1000 unit brand new over the summer for $380 off CL. Thought I could maybe use it on the Jeep, but the unit was just too large. Covered the tail lights, etc. I sold that unit for a nice and bought this 500 used. Much better fit for the Jeep. I need to order a vibrator for it so I can fill my hopper before I head out to plow then no need to try and store bags in the jeep, etc.

2013 Ram 2500-Boss 8'2" V
SnowEx V-Pro 3000

2004 Jeep Rubicon-Boss 7'6" Poly

Some of the best subs in the world
Old 01-22-2013, 01:39 AM

been wanting one of these too. would love to see and hear more from users
Old 01-22-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&M Landscaping View Post
Ken,

I picked up the Western 1000 unit brand new over the summer for $380 off CL. Thought I could maybe use it on the Jeep, but the unit was just too large. Covered the tail lights, etc. I sold that unit for a nice and bought this 500 used. Much better fit for the Jeep. I need to order a vibrator for it so I can fill my hopper before I head out to plow then no need to try and store bags in the jeep, etc.
Thanks for the info
Old 01-25-2013, 06:14 AM

I went with a snowex 375 and made a custom mount to hook it to where the spare goes on the tailgate door. It's like a custom swing away now. I can load about 10-12 bags in the back. I made a wood salt box that I swap in for winter to replace back seats (try to keep as much salt in it as possible but there seems to be a ripped bag in every pallet). As I got more accounts its became a problem so I stash salt at different locations so I can make it thru the route. The 375 is small but still better than slinging rock by hand. Sometimes I mix cc and rock so I get better coverage. Salting has been the only down side to running the jeep vs the pick ups. It's tough to beat the maneuverability of these vehicles and we do a bunch of smaller commercial lots so its almost a necessary evil.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:09 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplowmeister View Post
I tried to offer salt/sand Out of 80 customers only 3 wanted it. not worth the investment for your rig. I did get a walk behind spreader this year, so far no one has wanted salt or sand
So just because your customers don't want salt, that means the op's customers don't want salt either? I live in MA and everyone of my customers gets salt.

TG salters are a novel idea, but I do all mine with a bucket and gloved hands or shovel except for my largest lots which I use a separate truck for all together.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:26 AM
2000 Club Member

Second on the Snowex 375, great product!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:00 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducaticorse View Post
So just because your customers don't want salt, that means the op's customers don't want salt either? I live in MA and everyone of my customers gets salt.

TG salters are a novel idea, but I do all mine with a bucket and gloved hands or shovel except for my largest lots which I use a separate truck for all together.
I never said the OP's customers dont want salt.

I just gave MY experience with residential customers and salt

27 years plowing only Driveways (about 100 of them)

00 Jeep Wrangler, 7 1/2 Boss V with my DP, Front Air Shocks, Duel Batteries, Lead rear bumper, ARBs, Belt Driven Air Compressor, Dana 60 Rear End, Blizzak Tires

00 Wrangler 7 1/2 Fisher RD, Air Shocks, Duel Batteries, Lead rear Bumper, Blizzak Tires

95 Wrangler 7 1/2 Fisher RD Air shocks, Lead in the trunk, Duel Batteries, Blizzak tires
Old 01-25-2013, 07:51 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplowmeister View Post
I never said the OP's customers dont want salt.

I just gave MY experience with residential customers and salt
In your original post, you said that the op buying a spreader would be a waste of money. That was what I was referring to. Maybe I interpreted in wrong?

You wrote

"I tried to offer salt/sand Out of 80 customers only 3 wanted it. not worth the investment for your rig. I did get a walk behind spreader this year, so far no one has wanted salt or sand "