Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 01-07-2013, 08:22 PM

wiring harness

i have put my v plow onto a gmc w 3500 cabover and adapting the mount went a lot smoother than i expected. my question is i have wiring harness from 05 ford f250 and a 2010 f250. can i use either one of these harnesses for my cabover? all the info i have found on hiniker shows how to wire up plow with no make or model specifics! it looks complicated from all the crap on the harness but the diagram makes it look a little easier except for the lights. if anyone has any insight to this please let me know. i woiuld really like to get this hooked up this week as they are calling for snow this weekend.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 PM

Coming from straight blade experience, Hiniker's wiring harness is universal. So yes, it will work on your other truck (assuming it is a v-plow harness) The only new part you will need to complete it will be the headlight adapters (short adapter which are unique to the truck). I'm not sure what a GMC cabover is? semi? So you will need to purchase the headlight adapters for this truck. Ya, the diagram is the best way to figure out the wiring.

Last edited by Snowzilla; 01-07-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:48 AM

thanks a bunch snowzilla. yes both harness are for a v plow so i think im going to tackle it today instead of paying someone a bunch of money to do it. i had heard about the light part and the dealer i have called said they make a universal light adapter kit. a cabover is what you see a lot on box trucks used as delivery vehicles. a lot of them in the landscape industry and i have seen on here that there a lot in the snow industry. again i appreciate the help.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:29 AM

No problem. If the headlight of that truck is identical to the pickup I would think the similar year of pickup headlight adapter would work. Yes, the harness can be intimidating but actually is pretty logical. Most of the connections involve tapping into L& R blinkers, parking lights, your headlight connections and the rest is battery & ground connections. If you are moving from one truck to the other the relay connections may be left in place.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:39 PM

ok need help!!! got everything hooked up all functions on plow work except up when you press the switch to go up left wing moves. everything elose works perfectly!!! any ideas
Old 01-19-2013, 06:55 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpiper View Post
ok need help!!! got everything hooked up all functions on plow work except up when you press the switch to go up left wing moves. everything elose works perfectly!!! any ideas
I presume you have an issue I. The connection between the truck and plow harness.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 PM

yes thats what i am figuring but have hooked up all the wires to the solonoid every way possible, the way the book wiring diagram shows a hot wire from battery to solonoid and main power cable to battery? it worked just fine on my other truck before taking it off. just very confused and what little wiring diagrams i can find arent much help. thanks for the reply
Old 01-20-2013, 12:03 PM

had wiring all hooked up correctly the first time lol!! the plow sits very low now that its on the cabover and ram is in a bind and will not raise. all other functions work perfectly. any ideas on putting a different ram on or make new brackets and relocate them?
Old 01-20-2013, 05:07 PM

Ya the thick hot wire from battery + to the solenoid then the other lug of solenoid feeds the + of the thick harness to plow.

I think their specs call for the bottom edge of frame bracket tongs to be near 10" off the ground. Not sure if that is contributing to your bind issue. There is a page in my straight plow manual (page 14) that talks about different pinning positions of cylinder to compensate to change cylinder travel. It should be in the v manual too.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:43 PM

i know its almost a year later but i did get my problem fixed, i had two ground wires hooked up wrong. worked the rest of the winter with no problem

hooked up last weekend and all im getting is clicking at the black blocks at the electric motor, any ideas