Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2013, 10:09 PM

Looks nice. Nice looking truck. Happy plowing.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:39 PM

Thanks.
It took me a long time to get the truck set up the way I wanted. Fighting with Toyota over options and packages almost made me mental
I think I'm gonna be very happy with this set up. I spent so long going over all the different plow brands, styles, materials use, etc, I wound up making myself dizzy
I know everyone has their preference and I'm sure all of them have their pros and cons. From what I learned and what I wanted to do I am more than happy with what I went with.
My original "need" was to take care of my own properties which I feel I am more than able to handle now. My customers have always asked me if my company provided snow removal services which we did not. Now I feel that if I needed/wanted to I could take on small residential accounts if necessary so Im satisfied. I have a few more things to add but overall its all set.
And my first review. Driving the truck with plow on was much different than I expected. On the highway it was rock solid. I did not feel any play or movement in the plow while driving. The truck handles the weight with no issues. The only problem I have is keeping my temps down. I have to lower the blade more than I would like to get air to the IC and radiator. It was almost 60 today but even so, I will certainly make sure I keep an eye on the gauges. I'm gonna try to figure out how to get some more air to the front of the truck with plow on but I was surprised at how solid the whole thing felt. I expected it to have a much different feel but it was almost as if it wasnt there. I'm not sure if that is a factor of the plow set up or the truck suspension set up but either way its very easy to drive with. Compared to older set ups/trucks with plows on chains that you feel over every bump and imperfection in the road this is a whole different animal.
I'll post up more info as I get it.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:00 PM

Ya plows do indeed make engine temps run warmer. I'm sure its exaggerated more when it is 60 out. I guess just try to avoid driving with the plow on when it is not needed. You could play with angling it too. I'm sure your Tunrdra has a factory transmission cooler. If not I would look into getting one.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 AM

i dont have any temp issues with my curtis setup. idk if the pump being in the a-frame is why or what.inhad this same plow on my f150 and that didnt get hot either
CLAAS master tech
Old 01-20-2013, 05:01 PM

I'm not sure why. My initial thought is when the blade is up it blocks the airflow enough to raise temps. I'm pretty sure that if I didn't have an intercooler in front of radiator to begin with I probably wouldn't have any issue. Since the ic blocks some air already my guess is that the addition of the plow blade decreases the flow enough to cause temps to rise.
I had it on today on highway and with blade about 1/2 way up it was ok. I can live with that.
I'm still very impressed by the stability and strength of this set up. It really feels as if its barely there.
One thing I'm wondering: is there a way to set a boss blade to perfect center? I can get it close but its always a little off to one side or the other. I would think there should be a way to get perfect center no?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 AM

Thats is weird that your temp raises..i have an xblade which is considerably taller etc..and my temp has never gone up..it just make the outside temp gauge go up is all...nothing to do with the engine or trans temps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancepance View Post
I'm not sure why. My initial thought is when the blade is up it blocks the airflow enough to raise temps. I'm pretty sure that if I didn't have an intercooler in front of radiator to begin with I probably wouldn't have any issue. Since the ic blocks some air already my guess is that the addition of the plow blade decreases the flow enough to cause temps to rise.
I had it on today on highway and with blade about 1/2 way up it was ok. I can live with that.
I'm still very impressed by the stability and strength of this set up. It really feels as if its barely there.
One thing I'm wondering: is there a way to set a boss blade to perfect center? I can get it close but its always a little off to one side or the other. I would think there should be a way to get perfect center no?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:08 AM

nice truck...I really think that plow is installed wrong...that plow A- frame looks like its at an angle upwards, as do the plow lights ..maybe Im wrong but just my .02$

Quote:
Plow is on.
Its almost 60 degrees but thats ok. I am happy with the outcome.
With zero ballast it drops the front 1 3/4" I can live with that.
Not sure if the photo is visable but I think it came out good. Glad I went with the SD over the sport.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Intercooler? Is your truck supercharged or turbo charged? If not, thats an AC Condensor or Trans Cooler and its not really blocking anything to the radiator (to make a difference).

While driving, especially on the highway, are you angling the blade to one side or keeping it straight? The plow will force the air up and over your truck if left straight which will cause the temps to rise. Also, with it being 60* that will make a difference as well.

Love the truck, those Rock Warriors look amazing in that color IMO.

2002 Ford F350 CrewCab ShortBed 7.3 Diesel 4x4
-Snowdogg VX95 Now With Wings 11'3"
-Saltdogg TGS07
PHP Hydra Chip, BHAF, Straight Exhaust

Licensed Commercial Insurance Agent in Maine/New Hampshire/Mass
Old 01-24-2013, 03:25 PM

Intercooler is for the supercharger.
I did try the blade to one side which did help a little. Best thing was just keeping it low which allowed temps to stay normal. The front is strong enough that even keeping it low I had no problem with contact over bumps.
Thanks for the compliment. It's actually not a Rock warrior. I liked that look but wanted options that weren't available on RW so its actually a limited that I added the Trd wheels to and had bumpers color matched and got a color matched grill from the sport option trucks. I was very happy with the outcome but it was quite costly. Truck is an '11 and if course now you can order a '13 rock warrior with limited so you'd get most of the things I paid extra for. Thus is life. I love this truck. 100k mi and not a single issue thus far.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:49 PM
2000 Club Member

Nice did you go with the TRD supercharger from the dealer? I bet that truck flies
Old 01-24-2013, 05:42 PM

Yes it's the Trd charger. I went that route for warranty purposes. It's been on since day one and I love it. the truck is an absolute animal. The fuel costs of running 93 and getting 12-14 mpg kind of sting but that's the price I have to pay.
I came out of a ram 2500 diesel with bigger turbo and other goodies so I had to at least have some extra power on this one. I know it's not going to be a 3/4ton truck but I've done about all I can to get it close. With the charger, suspension, and air springs it does a pretty good job keeping up with my tow/haul needs. I miss my cummins ram but the headache free, overall quality of this truck makes the switch ok with me.