Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF 5455 View Post
I have a question also regarding the calcium chloride. Am I able to use the saturation hydrometer I purchased for my salt brine ? I test at approx. 88.7% to 91% for the sodium brine mix ? If so, what reading on the scale am I looking to be at 32% calc. chloride from your experience ?
No. The saturation hydrometer is designed to measure saturation of salt in water. You will need to spend some more $$ to buy a hydrometer that will read 1.322 like this.... http://www.globalscientificsupply.co..._to_1_450.html
Old 01-14-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubota 8540 View Post
No. The saturation hydrometer is designed to measure saturation of salt in water. You will need to spend some more $$ to buy a hydrometer that will read 1.322 like this.... http://www.globalscientificsupply.co..._to_1_450.html
Haha... you're tough on me. I don't want to spend any more $$$$$. Well, I guess I have to if this job is to be done correctly.

I was checking prices and locations of a few smaller flat beds last night. One in particular stood out.... with 12' flat deck. It has a hydraulic pump on it, a 600 gallon tank, a 150 gallon tank, 300' hose. It was used for pesticides and lawn treatment. Perhaps everything wouldn't work, but maybe tanks are plastic and a poly pump. I couldn't tell too much about it as everything was painted grass green and decals were all over it. Worth a phone call and some investigation.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:16 AM

Nozzle spacing

Hi guys looking to build a new spray bar and would appreciate some advice.

The spray bar can be a max of 7' and I would like it to spray about 9'.

Ideally the bar needs to remain at, 1' off the ground.

I have a load of nozzle bodies and hypro 11005p feet nozzles.

What spacing do you guys recommend, how many and if I need to have some angled out what kind of angle and what design do you recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Will
Backhoe Loader subbed in
Old 01-16-2013, 10:07 PM

Your spray heads are most likely marked with 2 numbers. One is a flow rate in gallons or litres per minute. The second is the width of the fan in degrees. You will have to do some math. How far away from the ground do you want to run the boom. That will let you calculate the width of the individual fan pattern based on the degrees width of the fan. Then you decide how much overlap you need. Then position your spray heads a proper distance apart to get the coverage with overlap.
Then you have to look at application rate. This is where the adventure begins.
For example, we use a 7 ft boom with 6 evenly spaced spray heads sprays about 8.5 ft wide. Then you need to look at flow rating. Say a spray head is rated at 1.5 gal per minute. (our typical) So your total gallons per minute for the boom is 9. (6 spray heads, 1.5 gallon per minute each)
Then you look at speed. How many feet per minute are you traveling ?. At 10 miles per hour you are traveling (5280 ftx10mph)= feet traveled in 1 hr. Then divide by 60 minutes in an hour and you get 880 ft per minute. Now you take your feet per minute times the width of the spraypattern for the whole boom, (8.5 ft wide spray pattern) and you get the square feet you are covering every minute with that boom at 10 mph. 7480 sq ft. Yes, all this to calculate how many square feet you cover in 1 minute at 10 mph.
Now you divide the sq ft covered by the gallons used in that same minute to get a sq ft per gallon coverage rate.In the example 7480/9= 831 sq ft per gallon at 10 mph
That is a little to thick coverage for most liquids. So you put in lower flow rate spray heads or speed the truck up above 10mph a little to get nearer 1000 sq ft per gallon which is usually a good starting place.
Hoowee what a pain. But worth it to be sure you coverages are right for the boom you have.
02 Dodge 3500 Cummins w/ 350 gal spray system, Boss 9'2" V plow
Old 01-17-2013, 08:31 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Brett View Post
Hi guys looking to build a new spray bar and would appreciate some advice.

The spray bar can be a max of 7' and I would like it to spray about 9'.

Ideally the bar needs to remain at, 1' off the ground.

I have a load of nozzle bodies and hypro 11005p feet nozzles.

What spacing do you guys recommend, how many and if I need to have some angled out what kind of angle and what design do you recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Will
Very hard to give accurate advise based on what you have stated. There are many different nozzle bodies and types. Are they dry boom or wet boom nozzle bodies? Model #? Are far as I could find Hypro list their tips in every combination of the alphabet, but not in 11005p. 11005 implies the nozzle sprays 110 degrees wide at a certain height. If it were a Teejet nozzle that height would be approx 24" @ 20" spacing. But different manufactures can be different. The 05 portion of that # implies the orifice size or flow amount. Again, if it were Teejet that nozzle would spray 6' wide at 24" high.

But no matter what, careful calculations need to be made if your spray boom will be placed at any other height than what the tip manufacturer has stated to be ideal. Most generally that height is about 24". That is not to say it cannot be placed at 12" high.

If you can give more specific part numbers I'm certain we can help you out.

Last edited by Kubota 8540; 01-17-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

William Brett,

How fast do you want to spray, how many gallons per acre (or gallons per 1,000 square feet) what liquid are you going to spray?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:42 PM

Anyone have a photo of the plumbing on these setups a guy could see? a simple one, the ones i found of kubotas look like a dang city water supply pump station. i cant follow that. lol.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:06 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSS LLC View Post
Anyone have a photo of the plumbing on these setups a guy could see? a simple one, the ones i found of kubotas look like a dang city water supply pump station. i cant follow that. lol.
Out of all the sprayers I have built, I have tried so carefully to take pics as I built them. Trying to do a step by step picture timeline. It seems to always happen the same way. I start off taking pics then about half way thru I get a glimpse of the pay check in the light at the end of the tunnel and suddenly make a mad dash for the cash. (forgetting to keep taking pics) Just something about that pay check? Then the sprayer is gone and I'm saying, well I'll take more pics the next time. But I do have a lot of pics of the start of multiple sprayers.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Out of all the sprayers I have built, I have tried so carefully to take pics as I built them. Trying to do a step by step picture timeline. It seems to always happen the same way. I start off taking pics then about half way thru I get a glimpse of the pay check in the light at the end of the tunnel and suddenly make a mad dash for the cash. (forgetting to keep taking pics) Just something about that pay check? Then the sprayer is gone and I'm saying, well I'll take more pics the next time. But I do have a lot of pics of the start of multiple sprayers.
Haha... now we know what kind of guy you are. Forget about the rest of us, just grab the cash. Problem solved...just hand the camera to the wife, and ask her kindly to do it for you. Than take her somewhere nice for dinner. This way, you won't have us crawling all over you about your screw up !!!!

Question... We have discussed about a v-box and sprayer setup as one unit on a truck etc.
Isn't a 5 hp or equivalent pump bit of an overkill for spraying from a boom ? At 160 gallon / min., most of the brine is going to just be returning to tank through pressure relief valve ??? No ?
Seems to me, that something smaller in size, same principle with maybe 10 gallons / min would be sufficient.

Also, is it all that important to know how many gpa's we are spraying ? I haven't figured it out, but have been spraying my lots now with new 3 point sprayer, and I mainly just covered entire area until it was damp. Each pass gets me approx. 16' of coverage. If I leave areas dry, than I know what happens. I know enough not to let it flow like a river either. I sprayed lots on Wed night after stores closed. Last night, (Fri.) it snowed maybe 1". I went over this morn. (Sat.) early and parking lots were nice and wet, no snow . Competitors parking lots were dry, covered with the 1" snow. I know that I used 200 gallons, (90 / 10) mixture, on roughly 3 acres + --. subtract shopping cart houses, grass islands etc. I was traveling approx. 4 mph with tractor. Could go a little faster, but felt comfortable. I am still learning also, so after while, perhaps more speed.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:15 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Haha... now we know what kind of guy you are. Forget about the rest of us, just grab the cash. Problem solved...just hand the camera to the wife, and ask her kindly to do it for you. Doesn't like being anywhere near the shop. TOO dirty. Than take her somewhere nice for dinner. Rather have her cook at home. After gaining 75+ pounds since we have been together speaks for her cooking abilities. This way, you won't have us crawling all over you about your screw up !!!! Welcome, join the line,

Question... We have discussed about a v-box and sprayer setup as one unit on a truck etc.
Isn't a 5 hp or equivalent pump bit of an overkill for spraying from a boom ? Absolutely overkill.But a 40-50 gpm poly or silvercast pump will cost far more $$ than the 2" transfer pump w/5hp. Sometimes double or even triple as much money. At 160 gallon / min., most of the brine is going to just be returning to tank through pressure relief valve ??? No ? Yes, generally 35 gpm to the boom will accomplish anything you will ever need to do.
Seems to me, that something smaller in size, same principle with maybe 10 gallons / min would be sufficient. 10-20 gpm on a tractor, 30-50 on a truck.

Also, is it all that important to know how many gpa's we are spraying ? Only when setting up the sprayer when your building it. I haven't figured it out, but have been spraying my lots now with new 3 point sprayer, and I mainly just covered entire area until it was damp. Each pass gets me approx. 16' of coverage. If I leave areas dry, than I know what happens. I know enough not to let it flow like a river either. I sprayed lots on Wed night after stores closed. Last night, (Fri.) it snowed maybe 1". I went over this morn. (Sat.) early and parking lots were nice and wet, no snow . Competitors parking lots were dry, covered with the 1" snow. I know that I used 200 gallons, (90 / 10) mixture, on roughly 3 acres + --. subtract shopping cart houses, grass islands etc. I was traveling approx. 4 mph with tractor. Thats how fast I sprayed with the Kubota when I used it to spray.Could go a little faster, but felt comfortable. I am still learning also, so after while, perhaps more speed.

4 mph doesnt seem very fast but its a comfortable speed in average lots. I spray 5-8 mph in a truck in the same lot?

I like setting sprayers and booms up to spray 100 gpa. Generally don;t need to spray more than that. Most times I would say 80 gpa is about right and all you need to spray. But I like to see MAJOR melting before I leave the lot.

I have sprayed in the same situation that you described, makes you look like you got there early doesn't it.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
4 mph doesnt seem very fast but its a comfortable speed in average lots. I spray 5-8 mph in a truck in the same lot?

I like setting sprayers and booms up to spray 100 gpa. Generally don;t need to spray more than that. Most times I would say 80 gpa is about right and all you need to spray. But I like to see MAJOR melting before I leave the lot.

I have sprayed in the same situation that you described, makes you look like you got there early doesn't it.
Haha... sounds like diet time for you. Home cooked food I find is sooo much better than eating out.

I understand about the gpa's. You like to have that ability to accomplish that amount of spraying, whether it's needed or not. Also about the smaller pumps...personally hadn't priced the smaller versions to notice the difference in price.

Another question for you...

The salt spreader you had on rear of your Kubota I believe was equipped with hydraulic actuated flaps for control of spreading width. Did those flaps work independently, or were they hooked together into one remote ? Thinking about controlling my booms hydraulically in the future, and know if they are hooked together you have to put a control in line to keep equal pressure to both cylinders, otherwise which ever one feels like moving first will do so, and other one follow. Like to have them independent, but both at same time is also ok ??? If independent, I could drive close to an object on one side, while still maintain spraying on other. Just curious ???
Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Haha... sounds like diet time for you. I'm 6-3 and 240. Actually works well. Home cooked food I find is sooo much better than eating out. Homemade tenderloins are the best, pan fried. YUM

I understand about the gpa's. You like to have that ability to accomplish that amount of spraying, whether it's needed or not. Also about the smaller pumps...personally hadn't priced the smaller versions to notice the difference in price.

Another question for you... I have more answers and opinions than you have questions. Fire away.

The salt spreader you had on rear of your Kubota I believe was equipped with hydraulic actuated flaps for control of spreading width. Did those flaps work independently, or were they hooked together into one remote ?I made them and hooked them up to 1 remote. So little fluid was required they actually worked evenly, without any extra controls. I would have hooked up indepent, but only bought with 2 pair remotes and was using 1 pair for the front plow wings or v function, Thinking about controlling my booms hydraulically in the future, and know if they are hooked together you have to put a control in line to keep equal pressure to both cylinders, otherwise which ever one feels like moving first will do so, and other one follow. Like to have them independent, but both at same time is also ok ??? If independent, I could drive close to an object on one side, while still maintain spraying on other. Just curious ???For a boom I would want independent, for the exact reason you mentioned.
The cylinders I used were only maybe 2x8 so very little fluid and they worked well. It allowed me to spread salt on a 1 lane drive or raise them and do 75'+/- in a parking lot.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Home » Parts » Pumps » Centrifugal Pumps » Ace Centrifugal Pumps » Ace Gasoline Engine Driven Pumps
Checkout
GE-100-A
GE-100-A

Ace Pump-Gasoline Engine Driven
1-1/4" Suction x 1" Discharge
GE-100-A Pump Mounted on 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton.
Max Presure: 50 PSI
Max Flow: 50 GPM
Weight: 44 lbs.

Additional Information/Parts Breakdown
Price: $1025.00

Just for a comparison.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Home » Parts » Pumps » Centrifugal Pumps » Ace Centrifugal Pumps » Ace Gasoline Engine Driven Pumps
Checkout
GE-100-A
GE-100-A

Ace Pump-Gasoline Engine Driven
1-1/4" Suction x 1" Discharge
GE-100-A Pump Mounted on 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton.
Max Presure: 50 PSI
Max Flow: 50 GPM
Weight: 44 lbs.

Additional Information/Parts Breakdown
Price: $1025.00

Just for a comparison.
Wow...that is a huge difference in price of pumps.

On the hydraulic boom...i looked at small cylinders, maybe 1" dia. x 8 x 10 " stroke, plenty for what I need. I have used the one remote for my hydraulic sprayer pump, so I have one left. Perhaps I will just have to use them together, unless I want to purchase another 2 way valve and run hoses into cab to run independently. Don't think i can run each one separate from one remote ???
Old 01-19-2013, 12:59 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Wow...that is a huge difference in price of pumps.

On the hydraulic boom...i looked at small cylinders, maybe 1" dia. x 8 x 10 " stroke, plenty for what I need. I have used the one remote for my hydraulic sprayer pump, so I have one left. Perhaps I will just have to use them together, unless I want to purchase another 2 way valve and run hoses into cab to run independently. Don't think i can run each one separate from one remote ???
That is just a cast iron pump, not poly , not stainless and not silvercast.

I know you can get a solenoid operated valve where you would attach each cylinder separately to it and supply 1 main flow to the valve and a simple flip of the switch determines which side the flow is directed.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:29 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

I Will have to get some pics and post them of our all in one truck. Gas is ABSOLUTELY the way to go for boom pumps. Electric nothing but hastle. We had a real cold snowfall two nights ago and the liquid was killing it. Put down 600 gallons and 3 ton of salt total. Great having the liquid and granular in one truck.
2012 F550 w/ Wideout and 9' Stainless Salter
2011 New Holland w/ Horst Pusher
Old 01-19-2013, 04:46 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynden-Jeff View Post
I Will have to get some pics and post them of our all in one truck. Gas is ABSOLUTELY the way to go for boom pumps. Electric nothing but hastle. We had a real cold snowfall two nights ago and the liquid was killing it. Put down 600 gallons and 3 ton of salt total. Great having the liquid and granular in one truck.
Please do get us some pics.

Just a little situation I have run into. On these sprayer engines, remove the fuel tank and spray the area under the tank with FLUID FILM which houses the choke and throttle linkage and governor spring. Just doesn't take long for these salt brine mixes to fuse the linkage to the springs which are the size of hair. I coat everything on these engines when brand new before they leave my shop.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynden-Jeff View Post
I like the idea of gas better than electric, but in my humble opinion....when i build mine, I plan to use hydraulic driven pump. Nothing mechanical exposed, no wires to come undone or motors to burn out. I also want to change from gas on the v box to hydraulic as well.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Please do get us some pics.

Just a little situation I have run into. On these sprayer engines, remove the fuel tank and spray the area under the tank with FLUID FILM which houses the choke and throttle linkage and governor spring. Just doesn't take long for these salt brine mixes to fuse the linkage to the springs which are the size of hair. I coat everything on these engines when brand new before they leave my shop.
Sounds like a good idea. I'm a WD 40 nut. I use quite a lot of that. It sure prevents lots of problems from happening.

I use my concrete sealer spray tank and fill it with diesel fuel and 2 quarts of motor oil. Shake it up a bit and spray my equipment several times throughout the winter. NO rust occurs anywhere. When i finish with v box, open lids and spray conveyor parts. Box is stainless. Diesel fuel evaporates mostly, and leaves light film of oil behind. Spray my sprayer frame, boom, all around tractor. In spring, good pressure wash, rinse good and apply wax where suitable. 4 years now for v box and paint is still on conveyor chain in many areas. It sure doesn't take long for corrosion to start if one fails to do preventive maintenance.

Question.... At what pressure did you spray when you used the tractor ?

I set agitator about one turn open, and when engine on tractor is 1200 rpm's, I set at 60 psi. for spraying. My nozzles are approx. 18" from ground. I'm not sure I notice any visual difference in spray whether it's at 40, 60 or 80 psi ??????? Perhaps the higher pressure would be relevant to the pencil tips cutting through hard packed snow and ice ???? I don't personally see any reason to spray with high pressure when anti icing ???
Old 01-19-2013, 09:26 PM

I have a question ???

How do I add an album, or post a pic with my name like most of you guys do ? Want to be a bit creative as well. Thanks

Like this....
Attached Images