Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 PM

And depending on what his diesel is, the 2011 5.7 very well could pull better. A 7.3 ford without a chip is pretty gutless as well. If its a non turbo 7.3, well those things barely get out of their own way.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:25 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

The 7.3 TD is gutless as far as speed goes, but it will pull anything you tack on behind it. And it will run forever and a day. I dearly love mine.
My friend has one with a bigger turbo and a tuner...dang thing really has some gumption now.
1979 Arctic Cat El Tigre' 5000- restored and fast!

Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
And depending on what his diesel is, the 2011 5.7 very well could pull better. A 7.3 ford without a chip is pretty gutless as well. If its a non turbo 7.3, well those things barely get out of their own way.
All a matter of gearing. I personally have quite a few 7.3's. Longevity wise, you can't really beat them. I've got one thats got 642k miles on it, and I've done nothing besides injectors 2 times. Thats still my main pulling truck as I can't seem to find another 6 speed dually. Power wise, you can beat them. They will pull anything you put behind them, just take awhile to get to speed.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 AM

I've had 2 7.3s. A 96 and most recently a 2000. I loved them both, but without a chip they were both just painful to drive. Throw a decent chip in them and they were great though. The only reason I got rid of either of them was because of the age of the truck, nothing to do with motor. My 96 had 320k on it.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:58 AM
PlowSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
I have a 2011 F350 with the 6.2, bought fall of 2010. The 6.2 is a beast. Ton of power and will pull anything you want. The 6 speed trans is great. Hauled our 24' enclosed race trailer to PA for the weekend and got between 10-11 doing 75. No complaints with 30k miles.
Just got my 2012 F350 and opted for the 6.7 diesel as this one is my personal truck. The 6.7 is unbelievable! 20+ mph highway and 16+/- around town. I've never been a dodge guy but did take a 1/2 ton with a 5.7 to TN once and vouged to never again take a dodge truck through the hills. Gutless, shifting, miserable trip. I don't know what gears the truck had but sure didnt seem to have the power all the dodge guys talk about. Perhaps there were issues with the truck but it was only 3yrs old.
Overall, you'll be happy with whatever you buy as long as you have realistic expectations. Don't get a 5.7 Hemi and think you're going to get 18mpg and pull as good as a Cummins Dually cause a guy on Plowsite said so. If you're going to pull, get a diesel. If you're going to plow and hook up the occasional lawn trailer, any new gas jobs will treat you right.
The new 6.2 is a great motor matched to an awesome trans. The gear spacing is nearly perfect in that truck for the motors powerband.

The pre 2011 Dodge 2500's and pre 2013 Dodge 1500's used the 545RFE trans. Its basically a 3 speed trans with 2 overdrives. In hilly area's the spacing is horrible - it has a short first gear, second gear comes quick and is matched well, but 3rd is horrible. It kills momentum from the first two gears. Then the OD's just add to it. If your not on level ground, the trans tuning bogs the engine nearly 10mph before it will downshift, when it does, your back to 2nd gear and the engine screams and kicks you back (not comfortable).

The 2012+ Dodge 2500 have a 66RFE trans that uses the cummins 68RFE gearset and is very rugged and matched much better to the HEMI. The 2013 1500 is getting a the torqueflight 8 - 8 speed - which is a ZF sourced trans that chrysler has the license to build here in the US. Its the same trans that is in BMWs, Bently's, Roll's, etc and is a very nice trans.

Long story short, the HEMI has a ton of power it had a trans that while reliable, had bad gear spacing for towing/hauling.

2002 Ford F350 CrewCab ShortBed 7.3 Diesel 4x4
-Snowdogg VX95 Now With Wings 11'3"
-Saltdogg TGS07
PHP Hydra Chip, BHAF, Straight Exhaust

Licensed Commercial Insurance Agent in Maine/New Hampshire/Mass
Old 01-15-2013, 03:28 PM

That makes a lot of sense. The truck was an '05. It did exactly as you say. You had to wait, wait, wait...then it would shift down too low and just scream up the hill. It was a lease and getting turned back in when we got back home (brother in law's truck) so we drove it hard.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:04 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

The new ford diesel is awesome as is the duramax. My new truck is my personal vehicle so i went with an LT gas silverado, as i wanted a luxury truck with a quiet powertrain and a nice ride. Im running 2 diesel worktrucks,1 dump, 1 pickup, they are both great trucks, super reliable and tons of power! Im not sure what im going to do when the time comes to replace one of the worktrucks. I love the diesels, but im starting to wonder if the cost is worth it? If you factor in the cost of purchase,fuel,parts,filters, etc, its a tough call. One thing is for sure, if you turn over your trucks every 3 or 4 years you will loose huge on diesels!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:26 PM

The dakota line was dropped in 2011

Its going to break at some point and that is the point you will call it a P.O.S. But life goes on and the argument of whose supreme will never end.