Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2012, 11:24 AM

Tundra plow mounting question

Hello
I've been going around in circles for a year about a plow for my '11 tundra.
I have seen all the photos on this site of the truck with a plow. In my research I've heard alot of information regarding the mounting of the plow frame. The issue I cant seem to resolve from looking at any of the available photos is: which plow requires the least amount of parts removed from under the truck?
I have been told by different companies that install different brand of plows that each one requires a different set of parts removed.
I've come to assume that all of them require the removal of the front tow hooks. Some I'm told also require the removal of the stock skid plate as well. The western dealer told me he didnt "think" the skid plate had to come off for the ultra mount but wasnt 100% sure. "Unfortunately", he tells me the only way to know for sure is to buy it and see what is required when he installs it. Apparently around here plows for Tundras is not a huge business so most places I spoke with could really only recite whatever the brand listed info online was. They were not much help in real world applications.
I'd like to leave on as many of the truck parts as i can so I was just wondering from people on this site who have different brands of plows on their tundras what was fact and what was fiction. I like the idea of leaving the skid plate as opposed to having it removed. Im hoping the guys here can shed some light on this for me so I can buy one that works for me.
The way I'm leaning now is a western pro plow 7'6" ultramount because in my head that one allows me to keep the plate and only remove the tow hooks. Of course I could be wrong and it may require removal of more than I'm thinking. I'm going on the other posts and photos I have found as the basis for my opinions only.
Any info from you tundra plow guys is greatly appreciated as I need to get this done soon.
thanks
Old 12-23-2012, 02:08 PM
2000 Club Member

On my Dad's Tundra, the only thing they had to remove was the tow hooks to mount his 7.5' Fisher.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:58 PM

thanks. thats the kind of info i'm looking for.
Ive learned that in my immediate area plows on tundras are fairly rare. There are only a few places that do installs and the ones I spoke with personally had almost no information about putting one on a tundra. fisher and western seem to be the predominant brands locally. From what I've learned online and out and about either one of those have good reputations.
I figure what will happen is I will have to provide most of the detail on what I want to whichever dealer I choose because they are so unfamiliar with the truck.
I'm leaning towards the fisher or western units and going with whichever blade is one step up from the "suggested". It seems people are doing ok using a slightly heavier blade on tundras that are set up similar to mine so I'm not overly worried about carrying the weight.
Fisher has an HD and the Western is called Pro I believe. As long as theres not much removal of stock parts I'm happy with either.
I met a guy at a rest stop who had a fisher on his tundra. His was the suggested blade and he told me that although he was happy with it he wished he had gone with the next heavier blade and felt the tundra would have no issue carrying it. This seems to be a common sentiment so I will use the info I've learned to pick a set up.
Thanks
Old 12-23-2012, 06:33 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancepance View Post
thanks. that's the kind of info i'm looking for.
I've learned that in my immediate area plows on tundras are fairly rare. There are only a few places that do installs and the ones I spoke with personally had almost no information about putting one on a tundra. fisher and western seem to be the predominant brands locally. From what I've learned online and out and about either one of those have good reputations.
I figure what will happen is I will have to provide most of the detail on what I want to whichever dealer I choose because they are so unfamiliar with the truck.
I'm leaning towards the fisher or western units and going with whichever blade is one step up from the "suggested". It seems people are doing ok using a slightly heavier blade on tundras that are set up similar to mine so I'm not overly worried about carrying the weight.
Fisher has an HD and the Western is called Pro I believe. As long as there's not much removal of stock parts I'm happy with either.
I met a guy at a rest stop who had a fisher on his tundra. His was the suggested blade and he told me that although he was happy with it he wished he had gone with the next heavier blade and felt the tundra would have no issue carrying it. This seems to be a common sentiment so I will use the info I've learned to pick a set up.
Thanks
I personally prefer Fisher. I like the trip edge design that Fisher has. I wouldn't never want a trip blade like the Westerns have. When my Dad bought his 7.5' Fisher SD the dealer told him the 7.5' HD would be to heavy for the Tundra. But, after owning the 7.5' SD and seeing people with a lot heavier blades on Tundras we now wish he had bought a 7.5' Fisher HD.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:12 PM

"Trip edge"? I assume the all have some form of trip edge. Is there a major difference in different models?
Old 12-25-2012, 06:24 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
"Trip edge"? I assume the all have some form of trip edge. Is there a major difference in different models?
When a trip edge strikes and object on the ground only the base of the plow will trip witch allows the plow to jump a little and you can keep on plowing. When a trip blade strikes an object on the ground the whole blade trips witch forces the whole truck to come to a complete stop. The trip edge is a lot easier on the truck IMO. You can research this more at http://www.fisherplows.com/fe/index.php and http://www.westernplows.com/wp/index.php

Old 12-25-2012, 08:16 PM
2000 Club Member

Oh boy.........
Old 12-27-2012, 03:23 PM

When installing my boss, they had to remove the tow hooks and skid plate. My decision on the boss was easy for me since every other plow in our fleet is a boss.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 PM

I have Curtis sno pro on my 2011 tundra. The tow hooks and skid plate had to be removed. Makes oil changes easier. I am selling my 7'6" sno pro if you are interested. The mount stays nice and tight up against the bottom of the truck. I think this system looks better when the plow is not on because it doesn't hang down low. Also, the mount on the sno pro entends back to the portion of frame where the a arms connect.. This setup seems to beef up the whole front end.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:52 AM

I have a blizzard 8000 lt on a rock warrior, they did remove the tow hooks and the skid plate, blizzard has a thick piece of rubber which replaces the skid plate. I have heard some tundra plow guys having trouble with snow getting up into the alternator. The truck handle the plow just fine. I plow 30 homes two miles of streets and 3 acre parking lot.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:13 PM

I put fisher push plates on my tundra a few months ago and the install was very easy just had to cut a little piece of the front corners of the skid plat but very easy and still look like it belongs there..... the tow hooks had to come off
where about in ct are you?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercer_me View Post
When a trip edge strikes and object on the ground only the base of the plow will trip witch allows the plow to jump a little and you can keep on plowing. When a trip blade strikes an object on the ground the whole blade trips witch forces the whole truck to come to a complete stop. The trip edge is a lot easier on the truck IMO. You can research this more at http://www.fisherplows.com/fe/index.php and http://www.westernplows.com/wp/index.php
Not quite correct. You certainly don't have to come to a complete stop when you hit something with a full trip blade. As soon as you get past the object, the springs will immediately reset the blade to upright.

The advantage that trip edges give you is that the plow will tend to hold whatever snow is up against it already. A full trip blade will spill more snow out under it.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:46 PM

Boss plows you have to remove skid plate and tow hooks, never had any problems with snow get into engine compartment.

www.SheridanIrrigation.com
Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 PM

With the trip edge blades I've always wondered what happens when the blade hits an object is taller than the trip edge. I would think a full trip would be more forgiving.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:51 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowzilla View Post
With the trip edge blades I've always wondered what happens when the blade hits an object is taller than the trip edge. I would think a full trip would be more forgiving.
Exactly what you think.......No fun. And that scenario WILL bring the truck to an abrupt stop.

Truck has engine, transmission, transfer case. Tires on rims bolted to axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd9
As for your question, the only thing you missed is him answering the question you posed and him completely ignoring the fact that he didn't answer it. .

When you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowzilla View Post
Well, what happens when a full trip blade comes in contact with an object at or above the hinge? Same thing... stuff breaks.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:01 PM

So i've shopped around and checked out a bunch of installers. I realized that as important as the brand of plow is the actual installer. Maybe even more important. from checking out places I realized that there are some real hacks out there. I took a look at some places work and I felt the sudden urge to run away as fast as I could I found a place whos work was outstanding from what I see. He sells the major brands and was very high on the boss plow for a tundra. His work alone was what sold me. Very precise, very neat, extremely knowledgeable and professional. certainly knew his stuff about plows in general. His suggestion is the 7'6" boss poly straight blade. Being out of plowing for a long time I am hesitant on the Poly as in my head I envision plastic and weakness. Not being able to hold up as well as steel. He showed me that the poly weighs the same as the steel and said he preferred poly over steel for my application. The boss installation suggests removal of the skid plate which I do not want so we compromised and the install will be done with tow hooks removed but the plate left in place. I'm gonna cut a hole in plate to access the oil filter housing. I think that should work. anyone have any insight on the boss plows? Any preference between steel and poly? Any major issues to expect from this plow or my planned installation?
My install is scheduled for this weekend. I"m looking forward to it. Of course it wont snow again for the rest of the season but if it does I'll be sure to post reviews
Old 01-18-2013, 04:38 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
So i've shopped around and checked out a bunch of installers. I realized that as important as the brand of plow is the actual installer. Maybe even more important. from checking out places I realized that there are some real hacks out there. I took a look at some places work and I felt the sudden urge to run away as fast as I could I found a place whos work was outstanding from what I see. He sells the major brands and was very high on the boss plow for a tundra. His work alone was what sold me. Very precise, very neat, extremely knowledgeable and professional. certainly knew his stuff about plows in general. His suggestion is the 7'6" boss poly straight blade. Being out of plowing for a long time I am hesitant on the Poly as in my head I envision plastic and weakness. Not being able to hold up as well as steel. He showed me that the poly weighs the same as the steel and said he preferred poly over steel for my application. The boss installation suggests removal of the skid plate which I do not want so we compromised and the install will be done with tow hooks removed but the plate left in place. I'm gonna cut a hole in plate to access the oil filter housing. I think that should work. anyone have any insight on the boss plows? Any preference between steel and poly? Any major issues to expect from this plow or my planned installation?
My install is scheduled for this weekend. I"m looking forward to it. Of course it wont snow again for the rest of the season but if it does I'll be sure to post reviews
If you get a Boss you should get a 7.5' Standard Duty. The Standard Duty plows look a lot more rugged than the Sport Duty Plows.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:34 PM

Yes. I went with Standard duty not sport. I also opted out of the poly as it was heavier than steel. We mocked it all up tonight and although it wasnt fully installed when we attached to the truck it didnt seem to have much of a drop in the front. I was gonna see about rear ballast after having it installed a bit as I was concerned about that much weight but on level ground it seemed fine. The issue I noticed immediately was the "undercarriage" of the plow. It definitely hangs down quite a bit. It certainly will be lower than other brand frames. I saw the fisher set up on a tundra and it did not have framing down that far. I'm not sure yet if that will cause issue. Theres not much I can do about it as it is just the way the framework is set up. I may be able to trim some off after installation is complete because it does have space to adjust for different height settings.
The skid plate is a gonner which bothers me a bit. I think i will just have to fabricate something in place of it once I get the truck back. I dont see I'd have much issue making some type of plate that I can install underneath using existing frame or the plow frame. I am probably over thinkng it as many ppl seem to be fine without a skid plate.
The plow itself is very very stout. We compared it to a fisher SD and HD side by side and the boss seems more solid. I also like how the components are sealed or covered for the most part protecting them from the elements. the on/off system of the boss is really top notch. So easy a monkey could do it. I'll have it back by Sunday morning. Looking forward to it.
I appreciate the comments and insight from the forum. Thank you.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:52 PM

Plow is on.
Its almost 60 degrees but thats ok. I am happy with the outcome.
With zero ballast it drops the front 1 3/4" I can live with that.
Not sure if the photo is visable but I think it came out good. Glad I went with the SD over the sport.
Attached Images