Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 PM

On-Site Storage for Small Equipment

Generally, we don't salt or do a whole lot with sidewalks, and when we do its nothing that cant be handled with a shovel or a small 2-cycle snowblower. This year, We've got a church that we have to do quite a bit of sidewalk clearing and salting. I'd like to leave my 28" Ariens blower and a push spreader for the salt ON-SITE, and maybe a pallet of salt/ice melt if possible. I can't decide which would be the best and most economical (READ: cheapest) way to leave this stuff there in a secure way. My ideas so far are as follows:

1) cheap sheet metal shed from big box store: $300 plenty of room for everything but still need to spend prob another $10 building a base for it, and everything I have read says these things are chincy as all hell and are a real PITA to assemble. And I hove no way to really move it in the spring, aside from dis-assembling it and then what the hell do I do with it???

2) rend one of those mobile-storage containers (like a POD), cost for that is $75 a month which is fine for me since I only need it for 3 months at this point but the delivery/pickup charge is $140 each way which brings it up to about $500. The delivery/pickup charge is non-negotiable I already tried lol

3) throw a few bags of ice-melt in the truck as needed along with the spreader and then buy one of those small rubber-maid storage shed/box things thats just big enough to hold the blower. Those are just as much if not more than the damn shed though!

The church has nowhere to keep these items, and has no money (really, does any church??) to put a shed up for themselves. My whole idea here was to have everything there so that my one part-time employee could drive himself there in the mornings when we plow and do the sidewalks and salting on his way to school so that way the other 3 of us can focus on getting the actual plowing work done and I don't have to have a truck sitting idling in the lot for 45 minutes while its driver is snowblowing/salting. I also don't want this huge honkin' Ariens beast sitting in the back of a truck when we are trying to plow drveways. I'm open to any other suggestions/ideas that maybe I'm not thinking of here, other than just biting the bullet and dropping the cash on the storage container.

2006 Chevy 2500 6.0
Boss 9'2" V-blade
Drift Buster 7' Back Blade

Pictures Of Stuff Here: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=98382
Old 12-06-2012, 07:16 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Im renting a 20' container same price $75 a month plus tax, delivery round trip was only $100 try some other companies maybe? Mobile Mini, Hale Trailer, check craigslist?

www.pawinterservices.com
Old 12-06-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewG View Post
Im renting a 20' container same price $75 a month plus tax, delivery round trip was only $100 try some other companies maybe? Mobile Mini, Hale Trailer, check craigslist?
I'll have to check them I looked through PODs and Beacon Storage so far.

2006 Chevy 2500 6.0
Boss 9'2" V-blade

Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 PM

I have the same issue at on of my sites and will be buying a small enclosed trailer when some cash starts rolling in. Its really the best option for me
97' Polaris Xplorer 500 Eagle 48" blade
Old 12-06-2012, 08:10 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

This is just my opinion, & btw if talk about a $500,000 job comes up, just ignore it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRi24 View Post
Generally, we don't salt or do a whole lot with sidewalks, and when we do its nothing that cant be handled with a shovel or a small 2-cycle snowblower. This year, We've got a church that we have to do quite a bit of sidewalk clearing and salting. I'd like to leave my 28" Ariens blower and a push spreader for the salt ON-SITE, and maybe a pallet of salt/ice melt if possible. I can't decide which would be the best and most economical (READ: cheapest) way to leave this stuff there in a secure way. My ideas so far are as follows:

1) cheap sheet metal shed from big box store: $300 plenty of room for everything but still need to spend prob another $10 building a base for it, and everything I have read says these things are chincy as all hell and are a real PITA to assemble. And I hove no way to really move it in the spring, aside from dis-assembling it and then what the hell do I do with it???

You are right, they cheap in $ and a Huge PITA to assemble(6hrs+) plus there are not very mobile, meaning you'd prob have to disassemble & reassemble it

2) rend one of those mobile-storage containers (like a POD), cost for that is $75 a month which is fine for me since I only need it for 3 months at this point but the delivery/pickup charge is $140 each way which brings it up to about $500. The delivery/pickup charge is non-negotiable I already tried lol

this is the most secure, but most costly & room consuming

3) throw a few bags of ice-melt in the truck as needed along with the spreader and then buy one of those small rubber-maid storage shed/box things thats just big enough to hold the blower. Those are just as much if not more than the damn shed though!

those rubbermaid things, you can get then quit big, big enough to fit all, but they are really pricey(as much as shed if not more for good ones) and a good & bad thing is they can be really mobile, so you would need to chain/lock it up.

The church has nowhere to keep these items, and has no money (really, does any church??) to put a shed up for themselves. My whole idea here was to have everything there so that my one part-time employee could drive himself there in the mornings when we plow and do the sidewalks and salting on his way to school so that way the other 3 of us can focus on getting the actual plowing work done and I don't have to have a truck sitting idling in the lot for 45 minutes while its driver is snowblowing/salting. I also don't want this huge honkin' Ariens beast sitting in the back of a truck when we are trying to plow drveways. I'm open to any other suggestions/ideas that maybe I'm not thinking of here, other than just biting the bullet and dropping the cash on the storage container.
you could use an enclosed trailer, or buying your own small Sea can & finding a way to move it around, they are the most secure.
8' Hiniker plow
7.5' Winterwolf PRO plow
SnowEx 325 spreader
Toro 621 QZE
Dozen shovels
Old 12-06-2012, 09:23 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

One bad thing about leaving your spreader there..... You can't wash the salt off, my guys salted the other day, put the brand new $225 spreader away salty. Well it was killing me, 3 days later, I went And took it to the car wash lol wow people were looking at me
Old 12-06-2012, 09:26 PM
2000 Club Member

Couple of 2x4 's couple of sheets of plywood and build something 2 guys could lift up.

www.grandviewlandscaping.com

Old 12-06-2012, 10:07 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview View Post
Couple of 2x4 's couple of sheets of plywood and build something 2 guys could lift up.
That would prob cost the same as shed, or plastic box, not to mention the labour to build it. lumber aint cheap, well not around here. Would be as secure as those cheap metal sheds or the pastic ones & would be mobile & yet harder to take then a plastic one, might not be a bad option, if your handy with a saw & drill
8' Hiniker plow
7.5' Winterwolf PRO plow
SnowEx 325 spreader
Toro 621 QZE
Dozen shovels
Old 12-07-2012, 06:43 AM
2000 Club Member

More like an upside down box. put the stuff on a pallet then flip the box over to keep the snow off the salt. Sounds like he doesn't need that much at one time. When he runs low just bring some over.

www.grandviewlandscaping.com

Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 AM

I like Grandviews idea, but I would build another one just big enough to store the blower in separate.

Notice: My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer, or any of its affiliates.

http://www.BarnsideBuilding.com
Old 12-07-2012, 10:22 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

he said he wants it to be handled by one man, so a box that you flip over the equipment would not work good(prob too heavy or akward for 1 guy) so he would have to spend a bit more on his"box" and make it with a door or something,
8' Hiniker plow
7.5' Winterwolf PRO plow
SnowEx 325 spreader
Toro 621 QZE
Dozen shovels
Old 12-07-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Handyman View Post
he said he wants it to be handled by one man, so a box that you flip over the equipment would not work good(prob too heavy or akward for 1 guy) so he would have to spend a bit more on his"box" and make it with a door or something,
True, so why not take a pallet of salt, put walls and a roof on it (plywood and 2x4's) and then make one side open on a hinge? take the salt off it to move it obviously but once it is on site it can be filled. Then make one thats just 4 sides (one opens on a hinge) and a roof for the blower?

Notice: My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer, or any of its affiliates.

http://www.BarnsideBuilding.com
Old 12-07-2012, 08:58 PM

The other factor here is I do want this to look somewhat presentable....Yes its off in a corner of the parking lot that doesnt get used much, but its still there and in view of the church patrons (AKA potential business)

2006 Chevy 2500 6.0
Boss 9'2" V-blade

Old 12-07-2012, 09:10 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRi24 View Post
The other factor here is I do want this to look somewhat presentable....Yes its off in a corner of the parking lot that doesnt get used much, but its still there and in view of the church patrons (AKA potential business)
use real plywood, not chipboard & paint it, maybe even put your name & # on in
8' Hiniker plow
7.5' Winterwolf PRO plow
SnowEx 325 spreader
Toro 621 QZE
Dozen shovels
Old 12-07-2012, 11:55 PM
2000 Club Member

I don't like the sound of any of these. Someone will F*** with it. Even if it's at a church. I would go with the POD I guess. Something that can't be moved easily or broken into easily. Personally I would go with the truck sitting there while you blow and salt. At least you know your equipment is safe.
Boss SmartHitch 1100 Tailgate Spreader
Bobcat S650 / Snow Wolf Ultra 120
Old 12-08-2012, 12:14 AM

I am guessing it will be a PITA to haul the blower, spreader and salt, then when you're dune with the route or event unloading it. Hauling isn't feasible?

A pods container would be dandy. Or build an 8x10 shed on skids. Use 4x4s or 2x4s treated plywood for the floor and good steel for the roof and siding. When you're done for the season load it up on a trailer. If you want get some good sized caster wheels that you can put on it to position it or move it. Otherwise shop around for a smaller shipping container.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ lindblom View Post
I am guessing it will be a PITA to haul the blower, spreader and salt, then when you're dune with the route or event unloading it. Hauling isn't feasible?

A pods container would be dandy. Or build an 8x10 shed on skids. Use 4x4s or 2x4s treated plywood for the floor and good steel for the roof and siding. When you're done for the season load it up on a trailer. If you want get some good sized caster wheels that you can put on it to position it or move it. Otherwise shop around for a smaller shipping container.
In short, yes it would be a PITA to haul it all around. I dont really see the point of impairing my vision out of the back of my truck even more while driving around plowing driveways and other parking lots for 4 hours before I even get to the church.

2006 Chevy 2500 6.0
Boss 9'2" V-blade

Old 12-09-2012, 10:41 AM

Find a small 8x8 used shed you can have it moved by a local towing company with a flatbed. I moved one every fall and spring for a guy worked out great for him
Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 AM

Still dont see how a cheap used small trailer wouldnt be the best option take one wheel off for security put some nice locks on it and your set. You can haul it wherever you want. I think these plywood boxes would look really unprofessional and wouldnt last long in the weather unless you seal them somehow.
97' Polaris Xplorer 500 Eagle 48" blade
Old 12-09-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestry17 View Post
Find a small 8x8 used shed you can have it moved by a local towing company with a flatbed. I moved one every fall and spring for a guy worked out great for him
trust me I've been looking for a used shed for about 3 months. got nothing out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90plow View Post
Still dont see how a cheap used small trailer wouldnt be the best option take one wheel off for security put some nice locks on it and your set. You can haul it wherever you want. I think these plywood boxes would look really unprofessional and wouldnt last long in the weather unless you seal them somehow.
Thought of that too but the cost is easily double that of any of the other options.

2006 Chevy 2500 6.0
Boss 9'2" V-blade