Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 12-06-2012, 10:26 PM

can not get parts

So I go in to get parts for my Western 1000 salter, dealer can't get them until Monday, so since I am only about 20 min away from the factory, I tell the dealer that I would pick them up, but he said Western only allows dealers to pick up parts 2 times per week. I think this is a stupid policy on Western's end, just wondering if there is a rep out there that can explain this policy.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:10 PM
2000 Club Member

I can't speak to the WI factory's policies, but the D&D factory in Maine is open for pickups m-f 7-3...atleast it was a few years ago. He is correct, they won't drop ship, and they won't allow the public in for pickup. It's dealer and freight only. Alot of manufacturers are like that.
PlowGuy.Net

Old 12-07-2012, 05:19 AM
2000 Club Member

Manufacturers do not want to be retail outlets. They don't take cash/checks or credit cards it is all on open account and they are not going to open an account for every Tom, Dick and Harry.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:12 AM
2000 Club Member

It's not even the money. Even if you pay through the dealer, you can't pick anything up. I'm situated half way in between my dealer, and the Rockland factory, 1.5 hours in both directions, I've had to wait for entire plow setups before. It sucks if there is a storm on the horizon, and the part can't be had before hand...I myself have never had that problem, there are plenty of dealers around, chances are one of them has what I'm looking for if my preferred guy doesn't.
PlowGuy.Net

Old 12-07-2012, 08:25 PM

I wasn't trying to go there as a retail customer, I would have gone for the dealer just so I could get the part. The guy at the dealership is frustrated at this policy as well. For example, they pick parts up on Monday, and if someone comes in on Monday afternoon, and they do not have it, they have to wait until the next time the dealer is "allowed to pick up parts". He thinks it is DD's attempt to have dealers carry boatloads of inventory. It is fine for most things, but in my instance, I needed a part that is kind of rare and not many dealers would have it on the shelf. It is a BS policy that Western has, that if my preferred dealer can't get the part, I need to spend time and money calling or driving around looking for the part.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:54 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeman06 View Post
I wasn't trying to go there as a retail customer, I would have gone for the dealer just so I could get the part. The guy at the dealership is frustrated at this policy as well. For example, they pick parts up on Monday, and if someone comes in on Monday afternoon, and they do not have it, they have to wait until the next time the dealer is "allowed to pick up parts". He thinks it is DD's attempt to have dealers carry boatloads of inventory. It is fine for most things, but in my instance, I needed a part that is kind of rare and not many dealers would have it on the shelf. It is a BS policy that Western has, that if my preferred dealer can't get the part, I need to spend time and money calling or driving around looking for the part.

I wouldn't be too quick to believe that story. Rockland isn't that way at all. They ship all week long via LTL, and UPS (minus Sat-Sun of course). The factory pays for the shipping, and bills the dealer for it...so, a more likely story is that the dealer is holding his shipments to keep his bill to a min.. one pallet can hold alot of bill of ladings when it comes to parts and accessories , and when a typical pallet rate is $30-$50 up to a 250 mile radius...I would tend to believe that over his story. Ask him to have it shipped via UPS and offer to pay the UPS charges...I bet he calls you back saying they'll do it. They won't drop ship it, but considering your distance to the factory, it'll be at your dealer within a day or so. No, I think it's your dealer, not the factory.

Also, I've received stuff from Rockland before that had shipping labels on it from the WI plant...so where your particular part is actually coming from is another thing to consider.
PlowGuy.Net

Old 12-08-2012, 05:10 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeman06 View Post
For example, they pick parts up on Monday, and if someone comes in on Monday afternoon, and they do not have it, they have to wait until the next time the dealer is "allowed to pick up parts"..
So have them ship it. ALL manufacturers ship everyday truck freight or ups as has been stated sounds like (to repeat what repo said) a dealer issue.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:25 PM

saltdogg parts

In Indpls IN looking to fix a few salters and would like to network with someone who has parts, I don't know how to find a thread to reply to, so attaching to this one. Also looking for work.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:29 AM
Sponsor

Buyers is the only ones I know that allow end users to use "will call" at the factory. Have done some snow dogg wings this way. Swenson will do it as well, at least on giant spreaders

You can also text us- TEXT SNOW TO 27126