Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 PM

Adapting a Loftness blower to another application?

Hello all, Newby here first time posting.
I live on an acreage with a 500' rock driveway. Up to now, I've used my compact tractor with a 6' rear blade and front end loader for the big drifts. I'm looking to upgrade to a blower as I should be able to set the skid shoes and skim mostly off the top of the rock.
Anyway, I have a Ransomes 723d front deck mower. I know that Loftness makes a blower for them, but I've had no luck finding one anyplace.
I did come across a 54" loftness that was made to go on a Toro 300 series.
Obviously, I know I'll have to cut off the mounting brackets and make new ones that line up with the Ransomes mounts.
What I don't know is if the PTO shaft placement is compatable, and if the shaft speed and roatation are the same.
The PTO shaft on my Ransomes is direct to the engine through an electric clutch, so the speed would be around 3000 RPM give or take. I would assume the Toro is the same unless it's not direct to the engine. The shaft on the Ransomes rotates clockwise as you sit in the seat and look forward at the attachment. So, it looks like the gearbox on the blower needs to reverse direction and reduce speed about 5:1.
Can anyone give me any information on this blower? I plan on going to have a look at it soon, but it would also be helpful knowing what to look for.
I've attached a photo of my mower as well as the blower.
Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 AM

depending on the size of your compact it would handle a blower much better, imho, you will increase your cleaning time with what you are proposing
Old 12-06-2012, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the response!
Sorry, I guess I should have clarified a couple of things up front.
First off, the tractor is a viable option in that it is similar HP to the mower and it has FWA. But, I'm sure the loader would have to be removed in it's entirety, thus rendering it unavailable for other uses for the duration of the winter.
Second, my other motivation for wanting to use the mower is that I did find a Jodale Perry cab for the mower at a stupid cheap price. The cab has a heater, AM/FM/Cassette, and all kinds of lights. Plowing with that would be way more comfortable for the operator (ME!).