Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-21-2011, 03:26 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enosez View Post
Look, I'm not an insurance agent.
I get the paperwork from the town asking for certain documents.
Insurance being one of them.
No where does it say commercial insurance.
I pass along that request to my insurance agent who is fully aware of what I'm doing and I get a certificate of liability.
I submit it to the town and never had a problem till now.

For those that dont know, the Town of Brookhaven or Crookhaven as it is known does things.......lets just say a little different.
Then your agent is an idiot and I'd fire him in a heartbeat.

When you get into an accident and have a claim, you'll be wanting to beat down his door.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:21 PM

So be it.....
If I need commercial insurance then that's what I'll get.

This whole experience has been a learning experience for me, thus the reason for posting.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:31 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enosez View Post
So be it.....
If I need commercial insurance then that's what I'll get.

This whole experience has been a learning experience for me, thus the reason for posting.

There is just so many "other" things that could go wrong that isn't necessarily tied to a general truck policy.

For Example.

a.) Even if you aren't using your plow and just shoveling snow, or even using a snow blower you have risk. You could catch a rock and hit someone, break a window on a car, break house windows, and so. You would need to have business GL to cover those costs.

b.) Your plowing snow and you hit a gas meter next to a house that was buried in a snow bank. (has almost happened to me a couple of times.) That's a nasty bill you would want insurance to cover.

c.) Somebody gets behind your truck during a snow storm for a little "pay day". Either on foot or in a car.

d.) Or, let's just take the extreme circumstance. Your plowing a commercial lot, you have a seizure and loose control and run into a building, causing a fire, and burning the place down causing massive damage.

Not only are you protecting yourself, but you are protecting your clients.

Last edited by White Gardens; 11-21-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 PM

ive always had to have commercial insurance or business insurance to be covered for snow plowing.....and all the towns where im from require commercial insurance it seems odd that they never required it until now
2 Yard Stainless steel Air-Flo Spreader
Old 11-23-2011, 11:02 AM

Brookhaven will tell you untill they are blue in the face you don't need commercial insurance. My current and another insurance company have advised me my current insurance would cover me if I was in an accident but will not put it in writing. Commercial insurance will cost an additional 1 to 2k a year. Anyone get the letter signed without having commercial? As we get closer to the snow coming I think the town of brookhaven will have to revisit this new policy as they won't have enough private contractors.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:39 PM
2000 Club Member

Why do you guys worry about if they want it or not? I would have it to protect myself.How come your agent won't sell you the right insurance or backup what they say? time to get some new agents there!

www.grandviewlandscaping.com

Old 11-23-2011, 10:49 PM

Seasonal Plow Insurance

If anyone needs help with insurance give me a call. Quotes are free if you got the time,
I have a small insurance brokerage and helped my plow boss (yes i moonlight) get situated with the town. And yes you need commercial insurance with a plow endorsement.
The problem is no company will put a plow endorsement on a personal policy.
GMAC is now offering a seasonal rate. If your not getting this then your missing out. My mission is to save you money and if your already getting a fair deal I will be the first to tell you.
The Peters Agency
1490 Montauk Highway
Mastic, NY 11950
(631)772-4777
Ask for Wayne!!
Old 12-07-2011, 09:58 PM

Most of he guys plowing for the towns here on Long Island are owner operators driving personal trucks. Because the prevailing wages for a driver or operator are so high compared to what the towns pay, they can get any company with employees to do it. It would be a losing proposition.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:58 PM

if any one is looking to work privately shoot me a text at 631-335-4058 with what you have. i have large lots in rocky point, miller place, ronkonkoma, oakdale, syosset, east meadow. Thanks