Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-19-2012, 05:49 PM

we pay $30.00 hr. to operate OUR trucks. wowa . things really are rough out there in Colo.
$70-80 Minimun for subs WITH proper insurance , equipment and experience .

Last edited by Spool it up; 11-19-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:59 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland View Post
Friend of mine plowed for a guy for a number of years and lately bought his own plow and got some new accounts. His old employer approached him about subbin and offered to pay for fuel and 25 bucks an hour!!

That is just super stupid.

In my area thats what a driver only gets paid.

Ya'll don't want to know what my sub asked for this year.

Buff that sounds a lot like front line pay rate in Lander WY doesn't it? ($40) Never mind being a sub.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:16 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

I was getting 60/hr 10years ago LMAO

2004 F-350 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke
8'6" Fisher MM2 Straight Blade
Western Tornado 1.8 cu. yard

www.bmwastewater.com
Old 11-19-2012, 06:18 PM

it's got to be a typographical error .
Old 11-19-2012, 06:41 PM

Subs here in Eastern are getting $50 to $60 an hour for just a truck with a blade, if they have a sander and using it $65 to $70.
Depends on who they are working for.
I know one company paying $40 an hour for your own truck and $25 an hour to drive theirs.
One of the main reasons I jumped right into getting my own contracts instead of subbing out the first year I started.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Its to bad I like my subs and pay them way more then most would, I could make some HUGE MONEY$$$$$$ off a pack of $40 per hour Rtards! LOL!
Plows, Pushers, Buckets, Brooms, Kage Plows, Salt Spreaders, Shovels, and a SS Snow Blower

Take It To The Curb
Old 11-19-2012, 07:35 PM

These prices are exactly why i will never sub, These guys are beating their trucks for peanuts IMO. I take it there is a mandatory quota or are these guys getting paid to be stuck for two hours?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:37 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

I like being a SUB. I got 85/hr for my plow and when i bought a V-box i get a even 100/hr. I like subbing cuz if my truck takes a **** etc. I just call the boss and go home. Dont have to worry about how its going to get done etc etc. Just my 2cents

www.bmwastewater.com
Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

I was quite happy to get 40$ hour for my 3/4 ton with a 7.5 blade. Had never plowed before and learned quickly,no one told me what to do just push! Those were the days-1986!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:39 PM

Around here straight blades get 40-60 an hour. And 75 for V blade not bad.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:37 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool it up View Post
we pay $30.00 hr. to operate OUR trucks. wowa . things really are rough out there in Colo.
$70-80 Minimun for subs WITH proper insurance , equipment and experience .
We're typically less than the mid west / east coast markets but not this far off. I came very close to hiring a driver @ $25 hour for fill in as I needed him. I'm always on the fence about hiring on a per hour bases, on the flip-side if you pay by the job you have risk too. In this case I know the guy, he's got 10yrs or so experience and he knows I'd whoop his a$$ if he hosed something up. He got out of the season work game and needed to be at work @ 7am, he's a back up if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS#1 View Post
That is just super stupid.

In my area thats what a driver only gets paid.

Ya'll don't want to know what my sub asked for this year.

Buff that sounds a lot like front line pay rate in Lander WY doesn't it? ($40) Never mind being a sub.
Yeah no ***** Stretch.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool it up View Post
it's got to be a typographical error .
Nope no a typo, I've see ads on C-List all the time for drive ways $20-25 ea. I'd have to guess this is for you basic 425sq foot in town drive. I have 3 of those in a row, each has about 30ft of sidewalk, I get $35ea and knock them out in about 20m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
I like being a SUB. I got 85/hr for my plow and when i bought a V-box i get a even 100/hr. I like subbing cuz if my truck takes a **** etc. I just call the boss and go home. Dont have to worry about how its going to get done etc etc. Just my 2cents

I always look at if I'm subbing for someone I'm representing the contractor or an extension of there company and always made sure I held up on my end. If was to bail I'd expect to be fired and would have no problem firing a contractor if they bailed on me,

When I use to sub I was paid by the job and not by the hour. We all know a good driver with good equipment can really kick some @$$ and make everyone some good money. When I sub out it's strictly buy the job not by the hour, I figure they know what they need an hour, I know what I got for the job and typically the numbers work out for both parties.
Heck my shoveler can pull in $50.00 per hour by getting paid this way and he's using his own ride and shovel, I provide the de-icer.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:31 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFF View Post
I always look at if I'm subbing for someone I'm representing the contractor or an extension of there company and always made sure I held up on my end. If was to bail I'd expect to be fired and would have no problem firing a contractor if they bailed on me,
I agree with you 100%. I have been subbing for the same guy for almost 10years now. I would never ever bail on him. He knows that. What i was trying to say is, If my truck broke down or something happens that cant be fixed ASAP. Im not the one getting the phones calls asking why stuff isnt getting done. That has never happen yet. I try to keep my truck in good shape so there is no down time.

www.bmwastewater.com
Old 11-20-2012, 10:57 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
I agree with you 100%. I have been subbing for the same guy for almost 10years now. I would never ever bail on him. He knows that. What i was trying to say is, If my truck broke down or something happens that cant be fixed ASAP. Im not the one getting the phones calls asking why stuff isnt getting done. That has never happen yet. I try to keep my truck in good shape so there is no down time.
I figured this much MM, but sometimes the message is taken the wrong way,

The guy I use to sub for was a almost a nut job when it came to have the jobs done by a certain time, there was a few times when I just had to push back on him and tell him to chill out.
With your Septic Tank pumping bizz you know all to well how things flow.......

BTW I like what you've done with your pickup, flat beds are the only way to go IMO. I have one on my 97 F-350 and have had several other pickups with them.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:43 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

This thread got me thinking. Put an ad on craigslist for 35$ per hour plow subs.Hired 3 on the spot! V plow get's 37.50.My margins are looking really good,might even take a winter vacation since my route will be well covered.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2012, 08:30 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
This thread got me thinking. Put an ad on craigslist for 35$ per hour plow subs.Hired 3 on the spot! V plow get's 37.50.My margins are looking really good,might even take a winter vacation since my route will be well covered.
Nice, hope they pan out for you.............
Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
But how good are they and well they show up is the question.

All it takes is one bad person and your rep takes a hit.

I would be having them follow me to the contracts and double team them so you can keep an eye on them until you know they are dependable.