Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-20-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Boss View Post
Well, everything is good right now, as long as I'm not using anything. Took the VXT all apart, replaced some pins, etc, and it's about as tight & nice now as a new plow. The OBS Chevys just keep working like they should,.. (knock on wood)

It's running great,... which is amazing after the fiasco I had to go thru at the beginning of last winter with it. I rode it alot,... close to 4,000 miles on it now, but 0 so far this winter,... but that could change now at any time,...

Well, it depends on the time of year,... where they are,... and whether or not they think you're stalking them. A long telephoto lens eliminates a lot of climbing tho,..

Well, today, October 30 was my first few plow jobs for the winter of 2012-2013. Probably didn't really need to plow yet, but it was at least a shake-down run to make sure everything is functioning like it should,... and it is,...

I love this set-up. If i every buy a plow i want the boss VXT, Im almost getting burnt out of the diesel thing. I just don't tow to warrant owning one. The warm up time, plugging it in, service intervals, treating fuel. I would love a newer truck like yours with a 350, simple get in and go.. I've got so much tied up in my truck i don't want to get rid of it. Rebuilt engine and trans, i know i shouldn't have any extreme issues now.
Rebuilt Engine @ 204,000 Miles
Rebuilt 4L80E @ 241,000 Miles
Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 AM

Always nice picture out of Alaska.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:10 PM

Truly a gorgeous piece of Gods country up there. A what a way of life, I'm very envious. Stay safe and warm this winter AB.
BRING ON THE SNOW!!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:52 PM

You'll want a DXT from BOSS. Well worth the extra penny for one. No more bent A-frames unless you're just careless.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:54 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone else here fascinated with all of the new Alaska shows on the history channel and such ?

Alaska state troopers, etc.... ???

Those AST dudes have some mega huge pelotas.......

92 Cummins with a 8.5 Western Pro Plow
Old 11-22-2012, 01:28 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

the troopers are awesome guys, also much nicer/easier to deal with then city cops.

yeah, the whole alaska craze is pretty intense. the move coming out about the butcher baker (on frozen ground) will also help it was set and filmed in anchorage. i have some friends in the movie/commercial biz and they have done very well with it.
1998 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4 V8 4x4 - 105k
2011 Ford F-150 Limited 4x4 6.2 V8 - 26k
Old 11-22-2012, 08:50 AM

Not to hijack the thread or anything......When I got married a few years back, my wife wanted to hit a Caribbean cruise for the honeymoon. She settled for an Alaskan cruise instead. We somehow scraped the $ together for that trip. By far the most spectacular place I've ever seen. The wife even loved it.

We flew from Philly PA, to Dallas, then up to Anchorage. My cousin was stationed there at the time in the Air Force. He picked us up at the airport, then we drove to Seward. Slept about 3 hours then took a charter fishing trip out in Resurrection Bay for Silver Salmon, yelloweye, rockfish and of course, Halibut. My wife caught a huge ling cod but the season wasn't open for those yet. That was the best 14 hours of my life. We saw eagles, wales, sea lions or seals (can't remember which)....then we got on the cruise ship the next day and went down to Vancouver, which was also a pretty cool place. But we were outta $ by the time we got off the boat so we didn't get to do much there. I'd go back to Alaska right this second if I had the chance, but don't think I'd do a cruise again. You are a lucky guy to live in such an awesome place. But I bet it really starts to suck eating crab and salmon every day huh.....
Old 11-23-2012, 12:01 PM

Always love checking out your pictures from Alaska. All my friends and family here in Nebraska ask me how i dont live in Alaska so i could be pushing snow more then 4 months out of the year!
Boss 8'2 power V with Boss wings
04 F-150
Boss 7'6 Std Duty W/ BOSS Wings
Toro Single Stage Snow Blowers
Murray Two Stage Snow Blowers
and Shovels
Old 12-01-2012, 01:46 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks again for all the comments,... but virtually the entire state of Alaska is in a snow drought this winter so far. Here we are now beginning December and all sorts of places still have virtually bare ground! Not in Valdez,... not even Thompson Pass,... one of the heaviest snowfall areas in all of North America has even enough snow to ride snowmobiles easily yet,.. what a difference from last year! The official snow depth for Valdez for the entire winter is currently at 7 inches (about 18cm),... which might be an all-time record for no snow at this point of the winter!

Where I live, I've got about 5" on the ground,... with every-day temps from -25° to -50°, ice fog in the valleys,... for most of the month of November. Daylight is getting pretty short, and the frost is going deep deep deep with no insulation on the ground. Someone asked about birds surviving here all winter in temps like that,... and they do,... and it is amazing how many of them can not only survive, but actually thrive,... and not freeze their feet & beaks, when they don't even have feathers on those parts,...

...... and no snow or breaks in this weather pattern for at least another week,...
Attached Images

2000 Case 1840 Skid steer w/8' Western plow w/wings
and snow bucket
Old 12-01-2012, 02:52 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

i heard we could see some type of snow by mid next week maybe. these huge high pressure systems are screwing everything up!
1998 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4 V8 4x4 - 105k
2011 Ford F-150 Limited 4x4 6.2 V8 - 26k
Old 12-01-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AK250 View Post
i heard we could see some type of snow by mid next week maybe. these huge high pressure systems are screwing everything up!
Last year we had nothing in the Tug Hill Region of NYS. I put my snow plow on twice and fortunately only had yearly contracts after making a job change and unloading the driveways I used to do. This year the lake effect potential could change that and I'll be posting pics like I did a few years ago with the massive snow dumps. Time will tell.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:31 AM

We hit 70 degrees here in Chicago today!!! The two previous times in recorded weather history that has happened we ended up only having .3" and .4" of snow for the month of December the said on the news...if that happens only a few positive things can be said about it for us here...
1) More low ballers will be forced out of the buisness, as well as national and reginal contractors as they took a hit here this year.
2) The companies with seasonal acct's are smiling.
3) We don't need the ice fishing gear yet, and can still get the boats out on the water to fish

Bad news is, we don't have any snow
Old 12-06-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks again for all the comments,... but virtually the entire state of Alaska is in a snow drought this winter so far. Here we are now beginning December and all sorts of places still have virtually bare ground! Not in Valdez,... not even Thompson Pass,... one of the heaviest snowfall areas in all of North America has even enough snow to ride snowmobiles easily yet,.. what a difference from last year! The official snow depth for Valdez for the entire winter is currently at 7 inches (about 18cm),... which might be an all-time record for no snow at this point of the winter!

Where I live, I've got about 5" on the ground,... with every-day temps from -25° to -50°, ice fog in the valleys,... for most of the month of November. Daylight is getting pretty short, and the frost is going deep deep deep with no insulation on the ground. Someone asked about birds surviving here all winter in temps like that,... and they do,... and it is amazing how many of them can not only survive, but actually thrive,... and not freeze their feet & beaks, when they don't even have feathers on those parts,...

...... and no snow or breaks in this weather pattern for at least another week,...
Great pictures as always AlaskaBoss! Thanks for sharing them. But I'm curious. at -25 to -50 (Deg F I'm assuming) day temps, how do your vehicles handle it? Do you just have to plug them in all the time? Stay safe out there this winter!

2001 Chevy 2500 Duramax
Blizzard 810PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
Anyone who has a Cummins and spells it with a G is pathetic and should turn in their keys for a Prius immediately.
"The only time success comes before work, is in the dictionary"

/\__/\
(='.'=) This is Kitty. Copy and paste Kitty to your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Old 12-09-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:

where is that picture taken from? its awesome
Old 12-11-2012, 11:26 AM

It finally snowed! I see Valdez is getting a weeks worth as well. Its been a long wait!
Attached Images

Dozer
Grader
Follow us on YouTube!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Alaskaforby4
Old 12-12-2012, 09:28 AM

subscribed, beautiful part of the world.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:14 PM
2000 Club Member

It's nice to see the old trucks still alive.

That is a great picture.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:43 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

nice pic i wish we had some of that
Caterpillar Equipment
Old 12-12-2012, 08:14 PM

Absolutely beautiful. Keep the pictures coming!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:36 AM

glad to see you back ab
hope the camera and computer hold up this year so we can continue to see those wonderfull pics
2002 chevrolet silverado W/ 8 ft fisher
2002 dodge 2500 8ft fisher
posi track skid steer
SIMA Member
www.greenstripeslandscaping.com