Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2012, 01:04 PM
2000 Club Member

Why do you have stiff springs for offroading? you want a suspension that is compliant so your wheels stay on the ground.

Dont know try without sway bar.

27 years plowing only Driveways (about 100 of them)

00 Jeep Wrangler, 7 1/2 Boss V with my DP, Front Air Shocks, Duel Batteries, Lead rear bumper, ARBs, Belt Driven Air Compressor, Dana 60 Rear End, Blizzak Tires

00 Wrangler 7 1/2 Fisher RD, Air Shocks, Duel Batteries, Lead rear Bumper, Blizzak Tires

01 Wrangler 7 1/2 Meyer V Air shocks, Lead Bumper, Duel Batteries, Blizzak tires
Old 11-15-2012, 01:19 AM

A few years ago I bought a Rough Country 3'' lift kit, I found out later that this is the stiffest lift kit sold. I did not have the money to buy another lift kit so I learn to live with it. I would like to change out the super swampers but that will have to wait till next year. I was thinking about getting some B F Goodrich all terrains.
Jeep2001
Old 11-15-2012, 08:40 AM
2000 Club Member

I prefer the Dunlop Mudrover over the BFG. airing down for the trail, with the BFG I had to go down to 8 psi to get a good mush factor in the tires. With the Dunlop 11 PSI worked better.

27 years plowing only Driveways (about 100 of them)

00 Jeep Wrangler, 7 1/2 Boss V with my DP, Front Air Shocks, Duel Batteries, Lead rear bumper, ARBs, Belt Driven Air Compressor, Dana 60 Rear End, Blizzak Tires

00 Wrangler 7 1/2 Fisher RD, Air Shocks, Duel Batteries, Lead rear Bumper, Blizzak Tires

01 Wrangler 7 1/2 Meyer V Air shocks, Lead Bumper, Duel Batteries, Blizzak tires
Old 11-15-2012, 08:43 AM

Ok so first and foremost your vehicle sway now is completely different as you dont have a several hundred pound plow hanging off the front. Rough Country has stiff springs as it is. Nature of the beast and its a "get what you pay for" ordeal with them. Stiffer springs or not, running without the sway bar can be quite challenging due to the swinging around of the plow blade out front, especially with the older style Meyer mounting system, as it doesn't provide any lateral support from side to side. I ran all last year without one and to be honest, I put my sway bar back on this year and it was the greatest thing ever. I found a way to make my Meyer mount work with the sway bar. I havent tried it on road as of yet but just the driveway test here at the house showed a noticeable decrease in sway of the plow and body roll at around 15MPH. The major differences between your ride and mine is the longer wheel base which will help.

Yes the springs make a difference offroading, but with plowing its not really that big of a deal besides the major rake your rig will have once you add the plow.

Here is what I believe your goals should be given your situation.
-Find a plow that works for you and find a way to adapt it to your rig keeping the sway bar on.
-Load rear with ballast weight, couple hundred pounds to offset the plow weight and create more PSI on the wheel footprint for better traction.
-Lower the PSI in the Swampers for the season to around 20PSI, maybe even 18. This will flatten out the tire and allow for a little better traction. Try out your rig and adjust the PSI up dependent on how much the vehicle tends to "wander" on the road. I dont have a Cherokee but the principles are roughly the same.
-Pick a plan for your rig. Are you going to be off roading with it still? If your planning on running double duty with it, as I do (plowing and off roading) then you'll want to upgrade some items to better your rig for both situations.
-Find some new tires for next year. BFG's are great tires but expensive. Excellent all around tire, especially in the snow. There are similar tires that have similar all around performance for cheaper cost, you just have to find out where you want to put your money. An all terrain off road will work ok but if you decide to get into any real terrain, you'll wish you went with a full blown Mud Terrain. A damn good driver with all terrains can out wheel almost anyone on most terrain but the greatest thing an off roader can invest in is tires. Just something to think about. Mud terrains will work for plowing but know that its not what they were intended to do so you may lose some traction during icy conditions. A great way to get around this is to run a skinnier Mud Terrain tire. Great for off roading and will work pretty well on a plow rig.
-Change out your springs and shocks. Rough country components are a little cheaper built which is why the cost is so much lower than a lot of other companies. Your "ride" and its quality are based more on your shocks then it would be on your springs, although not entirely. If you haven't already, upgrading your shocks to a higher quality will smoothen out the ride, allow for better articulation, and might be exactly what your looking for without dumping a ton of money into your rig. Its a lifted rig so comfort isnt going to be number one without throwing a ton of coin at it. OME and Bilstein are pricier but you'll appreciate the ride so much more. Save up for these, they are worth it.
-Next, if your ride isnt any better or isnt what you thought it might turn out to be, look for new springs. Your looking for progressive rate springs instead of the standard springs that came with your RC lift. Progressive rate are a little more, but are a better riding spring and progressively get more stiff as they are compressed. Better all around. Check into BDS, OME, Teraflex as a few cheaper, but better options.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:58 PM

I just posted some of these pics in a different thread but here you can see what a 7' plow covers from the back of the jeep. I put on pro wings so discount those as Im sure you wont need them, but as you can see at full left on my jeep, my 7' plow barely covers the tire tracks behind it. Go with a 7'.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:20 PM

Thanks guys for the information I will look for the sway bar this week end. It is some where in the garage. Would you try it first with out the sway bar or should I just put in on? Can I just use sand bags in the rear of the jeep or is there something better?
Thanks
jeep2001
Old 11-15-2012, 06:43 PM

You can try it without it and see how it goes. Not that big of a deal, I just really like the security of the ride.

Sandbags will work but they make a mess if you split one open. I use bags of pellets which makes things a little easier to clean up with just as much weight. I usually run 8 bags or so.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:52 PM

Where do you get the bags of pellets?
Jeep2001
Old 11-16-2012, 12:42 AM

i bought them at home depot. they are found a lot of difference places. they are used as a heating source for a pellet stovce. about $4 a bag.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 AM

Thanks I will look for them this week .
Jeo2001