Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 11-11-2012, 02:40 PM

Considering an Optimus Snow Box

I've been looking really heavy lately into purchasing a new 10 foot snow box. After really researching it I like the idea of the new Optimus box but Its hard to make myself pull the trigger and buy one that is twice the price as a 400 series Avalanche. I guess what Im looking for is some help with my decision. Has anybody seen one in action or even ran one? I know they are hard to find and I've actually located one at my local dealer and its sitting on the lot. I had concerns of plowing thick ice if we had anything like that this year as well as back dragging around docks as I plow a large mall.

Any input or opinions would be awesome. Im going up to my dealer tomorrow morning to look at the Optimus he has sitting and I want to be sure that Im happy with my decision.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:30 AM

We tried one out and although we didn't have any ice to strip we did use it to remove hard packed snow with salt in it that froze after the cars drove over it all day (in a shopping mall) No issues what so ever. We have another optimus in the shop right now that we are rigging up with quick attatch for a 521 Case pay loader. The optimus might be more expensive but I think its worth it!

Vince
Dell operations

Member of SIMA since December 2008.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:47 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

I don't have an Optimus. But do have Protec rubber edge, IST, & an Artic. I would guess the Optimus as far as scraping will be between an IST & an Artic. This is where it gets complicated & becomes dollars and cents.
Our Artic (& IST for that matter) cost significantly more to run per hour than a rubber edge, I don't have firm numbers but I was tolds $ 18-20 vs $ 5, which is probably close. These cost are more than offset by salt savings on seasonal accounts. That said I haven't been able to sell anyone to pay us more for the better quailty it does vs a rubber pusher on non-salt or accounts that salt it themselves (school districts), where it would save them the money. I have tried without success.
What I'm getting at is learn from my "I want the latest & greatest attitude" as many of us have. If the clients aren't willing to pay for the added expence, & your competion doesn't have the technogy (and added expense), its not spec'ed in the bid, etc. Don't add the "extra costs". However if you can re-coupe the monies because your "all-inclusive" seasonal contracts...you will recoupe the costs, on the lots done with a steel edge we use at least 50% less salt, they come that clean.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:03 PM

The optimus and the Arctic clean about the same. We have had both. I think the optimus will be cheaper to run then the Arctic due to its steel construction and new more innovative IMHO trip system. I do not think, feel, believe it will be prone to breakdown unlike the Arctic Sectional's that we personally had allot of trouble with. Salt savings with the optimus and greater durability should/will be its selling strengths IMHO. We worked on R&D for Avalanche and Gino has worked very hard to engineer a better more durable long lasting product then what is currently available in the commercial "snowpusher" marketplace. Many changes were made along with allot of testing and refinments.We believe Avalanche has made the effort; and we are impressed! Now lets work these things hard and see what happens?

Vince McCauley
Dell Services
Operatons Manager

Member of SIMA since December 2008.

Last edited by DellDoug; 11-14-2012 at 02:32 PM.