Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 11-09-2012, 01:17 PM

under hood pump question

hey guys new to the site , now i recently got a good deal on an old 7.5 ft fisher plow . now this set up has an under the hood pulley pump . now i have a 2006 Gm 1500 ext cab 6.5 box . under the hood there is not a great deal of room and i also do not seem to have a avaible pully for my pump i have figured out a way to fit everything under there just wondering my otions would be to add a pully to my crank or the power steering pump ,
now i know most of you frown apon these old systems but i mean i got it all for 350$ so i would like to make it work thanx . any and all info would be greatly apreciated
Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM

the old systems are great. super simple and super reliable. they will still be working great even when the plows of today are sold for scrap.

i don't know what it looks like under your hood, but very few trucks built in the last 15 years will have much room for that pump. even if you find room, you need to build a STRONG custom bracket to hold the pump and you need to ensure the pulley is dead-on with others in the engine compartment. plus i'm sure your truck has a serpentine belt, not a V belt as is likely required by your pump. i guess you could make/source a pulley for the pump to accept a serpentine belt IF you can find room to properly mount the pump - and then keep your fingers crossed that a serpentine belt exists in the longer length you will need. or add a custom V belt pulley in front of the existing serpentine pulley on your crank like you mention - i'd be afraid of going off the power steering pump as you will likely be replacign the pump frequently due to worn bearings. plus if you go with a V belt, you need a means of tensioning the belt. go off the existing serpentine setup with a longer belt and the auto-tensioner will do that job.

and the setup you have likely requires that the head gear (frame, pump, lights, lift arm) all remain on the truck year round (unless you want to go through the effort of removing and installing it each year). problem here is that law does not allow the headgear to remain on a 1994 or newer truck if the plow is removed. this is because of the excess damage the lift arm could do in the event of an accident. it was 1994 that plow manufacturers came out with the unimounts, minute mounts, etc. that allow the headgear to be removed with the plow. plow manufacturers did not do this so your truck would look cleaner - they did it because law required it.... now is this law enforced for a custom job like you are proposing? probably not, in fact i'll bet 99% of law enforcement has no clue it exists... but IF you are ever in a serious accident and that lift arm hurts or kills someone, you can bet a swift lawyer will discover this law.....

it's a lot of work and requires a pretty good deal of mechanical ability and metal work to get it done right. and in the end if all turns out well, it likely may have been cheaper to just find a plow designed to work with the truck - and remain legal.

i'd scrap the idea, but it's your call. if you only paid $350 maybe you can sell it for a bit of a profit and put that money towards a different plow.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:05 PM

oh yeah.... and the valve body needs to be mounted under the hood somewhere too..... or maybe it could be in front with the frame? i'd perfer to keep it all away from the elements under the hood.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:11 PM

well i have just found a meyer eletric pump / hyrdo unit i was thinking of picking that up and scraping the whole under hood idea lol i will keep my plow and mount due to its in good condition and just swap out the cylender that is there now and replace it with the meyer unit . this set up is a custum job anyways due tot he fact that the previous owner simply cut the plow off the truck so i have some mods to do so i wasnt planning on haven the mount and light fixed to the truck year round . my next question is this i have found this meyer unit now its just the wireing kit fr controls i dont know about its a simple up and down pump so wshould be easy enough heere the link

http://sherbrooke.kijiji.ca/c-autos-...AdIdZ429025438

tell me what ya think
Old 11-22-2012, 09:28 AM

OK to Leave underhood pump connected to pulley

Quote:
Originally Posted by linckeil View Post
oh yeah.... and the valve body needs to be mounted under the hood somewhere too..... or maybe it could be in front with the frame? i'd perfer to keep it all away from the elements under the hood.
Hello Gentlemen - may I (complete noob) as a question about underhood pump/pulley set-up - I have an old fisher set-up on my junker s15 - just trying to have a little fun bringing an old set up, that I (over)paid $400 for last year, back to life -

Have what seems like good valve body and pump - putting this thing together component by component - I got the bracket/pulley from Little Jay's in NH - question is can I connect pump and valve body and then just pop brass plugs into the apertures while I move onto the headgear etc - want to see if pump throws pressure, so I can get a "go/no-go" on the pump, and then leave it connected while I set up the rest (reason for leaving it on being its a p/i/t/a to get the v-belt on/off) - I know nothing about whether this is a scenario that will burn out the pump, or if the pump can handle this (I gotta assume its the same as when no valves are open, but, I'm a noob, and when noobs assume...)

Thank you! Eric
Old 12-23-2013, 05:15 PM

I have successfully mounted an under hood Fisher pump (and plow) to my 56 Ferguson TO35 Tractor only thing remaining is how to keep the cable ends on the ball joints in the joystick controller. I think there was probably a sliding tube with a slot cut into it... does anyone know where I might get one or have a picture of theirs so I might build one?