Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2012, 07:13 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

FF breakdown

Well,

after reading a lot of good stuff on this FF stuff, I finally gave in and bought a case.

Ordered it on Amazon, as it seemed to be the least per can cost. Can't wait to get it and try it out.

Who is the FF contact here, anyway ? I sent this guy Dano a PM a while back, but he hasn't been here since August. Is he the only contact, or is there someone else who's their rep ?

Is there anything you cannot use it on, besides my wanker and my trucks windshield ?

Thanks !

92 Cummins with a 8.5 Western Pro Plow
Old 10-15-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogplow Dodge View Post
Well,
after reading a lot of good stuff on this FF stuff, I finally gave in and bought a case.
Ordered it on Amazon, as it seemed to be the least per can cost. Can't wait to get it and try it out.
Who is the FF contact here, anyway ? I sent this guy Dano a PM a while back, but he hasn't been here since August. Is he the only contact, or is there someone else who's their rep ?
Is there anything you cannot use it on, besides my wanker and my trucks windshield ?
Thanks !
Hello,
We are an exclusive distributor for Eureka Fluid Film. Fluid Film is all we do. I would be glad to provide any product information that we have.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:26 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks Bob

Just received my first case of the stuff. Haven't used it much, as I just opened the can to test spray it on some parts.....

OMG..... it stinks like sheep !

Stopped spraying it as I didn't have a respirator on me.....

Can I assume a chemical respirator will protect my lungs from the stank ?

And ...

Can you spray it on shoes, or would that make the leather too slippery / sticky ? I have redwings and it would go on a lot faster than the boot oil if it's actually going to work....although I'm going to have to put he boots outside for about a month or so so my dogs dont eat them....

Old 10-16-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks Bob
Just received my first case of the stuff. Haven't used it much, as I just opened the can to test spray it on some parts.....
And ...
Can you spray it on shoes, or would that make the leather too slippery / sticky ? I have redwings and it would go on a lot faster than the boot oil if it's actually going to work....although I'm going to have to put he boots outside for about a month or so so my dogs dont eat them....
My personal opinion is that I would wear a good quality mask when spraying ANY chemical. "Non-Toxic" does not mean "no-mask required". Non-toxic particulate matter, dust, dirt, grass, etc. are all harmful to your lungs and should not be inhaled more than absolutely necessary.

Fluid Film works great on leather boots.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:18 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Thanks Bob

And ...

We spray with a paint sprayer from a gallon jug. If I don't wear a respirator I am sick as a friggin dog 2 days later...I mean sick as hell! Head cold, cough, fever, chills, aches/pains, and just dead in the bed for a couple days.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:23 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the heads up, guys....

I figured that I would have to mask up to do my truck and plow. I also plan on taking a long hot shower and tossing my tyvek suit out afterwards....

I'm exposed to toxic dust all the time, and I wear my respirator as much as possible..... so it's no big deal to wear one for a few extra hours.... or 1/2 hours depending on how easily this stuff coats.

Thanks again !

BTW.

Thanks for the fast shipping, Bob..... Must have given that fed ex driver some red bull before he left your warehouse.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Well, I FF'd my plow today...

Definite chemical respirator needed. I sprayed one shot, and started hacking....

Two points to note>

They should have a "Spray pattern" nozzle on there, so you can change it from fine point spray to wide spray. I found it very difficult to get a complete coverage with the spray cans narrow shot.

it gets "MESSY" as the nozzle leaks onto the top of the can as you're spraying without the extended tube. goo running all down my rubber gloves.....

Wow, that's what that woman said to me a few years back behind that abandoned building......

Oh,well...

Old 12-03-2012, 08:58 PM
2000 Club Member

This seems like a good thread to ask in...

im still a bit confused about FF. Iv seen pictures of it covering plows and things. but it seems to be a non drying coating? i sprayed a bit in the can and waited and waited. it was always still wet?

now, i ask this because it seems that if you coat something like a plow, would it not just get rubbed off by the snow? paint gets rubbed off in just one season.

not questioning the product, i just want to understand exactly what it does. i need to repaint my plow under the edge and plan on using my demo can there and see if it stops the rust. but, my question is how it will do this if the snow just rubbs it off.

thanks

mike

nods
Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Thanks Bob

And ...

Should smell sheep,it;s made from them.

www.grandviewlandscaping.com

Old 12-03-2012, 09:07 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
This seems like a good thread to ask in...

not questioning the product, i just want to understand exactly what it does. i need to repaint my plow under the edge and plan on using my demo can there and see if it stops the rust. but, my question is how it will do this if the snow just rubbs it off.

thanks

mike
Seed,

I'm in my infancy with using the product, so bear with me.

It takes a "while" for the FF to wear off. I plowed one storm, and it was great as none of the snow stuck to my plow, brackets, pump or anything else I used it on. Truly amazing goo.

It never hardens, and will always rub off on your pant leg, so be prepared to clean your clothes, gloves or whatever else touches the stuff (you know, like the old lady you run over that was walking in front of your truck at the street corner).

it's cheaper to buy the gallons, and put it in an old paint sprayer than to use the cans.

I used it on my overhead door on my box truck and the door has never ever moved so smoothly. I used it on the linkage on my door lock mechanism in my plow truck doors and my locks never felt so smooth. Door hinges, pivot points, electrical connections under the hood....

Great stuff.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 PM
2000 Club Member

well. i read in another thread that what it does is penetrate the metal. so i guess that was the piece of information that i was missing.

do you have to re apply it? if so how often. say i coat my plow with it. would i have to do it every year? also, if the plow has a powder coating, how does that effect it. that would be a hard material to penetrate?

nods
Old 12-03-2012, 09:55 PM
2000 Club Member

Bird FF was great back in the day but for the price now just spray you stuff with old motor oil, you will save a ton of money. When I used to buy it for $25 a gallon it was worth it but not now at $50 a gal plus do something else. An unusable byproduct is not worth that much sorry.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapro View Post
Bird FF was great back in the day but for the price now just spray you stuff with old motor oil, you will save a ton of money. When I used to buy it for $25 a gallon it was worth it but not now at $50 a gal plus do something else. An unusable byproduct is not worth that much sorry.
that a joke?

nods
Old 12-03-2012, 10:31 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
that a joke?
No joke. Seriously, it is good stuff but not for what they are charging now.

It's dirty sheep wash! It is a byproduct of washing wool, ten years ago they had to pay to get rid of it. 5yrs ago they had me and many others join the band wagon BUT at that time it was half the price it is now if not less!

It's good but not $50+ a gallon good. I will not support them until the price drops significantly.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:33 PM
2000 Club Member

Just watch, either I get no comment from Eureka or I get deleted by the higher ups!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:42 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapro View Post
Just watch, either I get no comment from Eureka or I get deleted by the higher ups!
its basically lanolin?

nods
Old 12-03-2012, 10:54 PM
2000 Club Member

fyi, most chap sticks (and alot of makups) use lanolin.... sheep sweat... i dont use chapstick unless i read the label and see it doesnt have lanolin.

i know its unrelated. but its gross.

nods
Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
its basically lanolin?
Yes

Last edited by terrapro; 12-03-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:02 PM
2000 Club Member

My wife says that she has a stick of lanolin and that people use it for waterproofing because it repels water. i guess it makes sense that it would help keep water off of metal. im going to do a test. let one side of metal soak FF in, spray both sides down with water, then see if each side rusts.

nods
Old 02-09-2013, 08:29 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Well, this was my first season with using FF, and I can say that it does NOT do well for the front of the plow blade.

even though I coated the entire blade several times, I guess the snow abrasion on the front of the blade is just too much. I had boulders of snow stuck to the front of my blade today, so it was a complete waste of time coating the front surface. The rest of the plow still looks protected, but the front was completely gone of FF.

I guess no product is foolproof.