Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 03-18-2012, 12:14 PM

Repair Kits

Greatings all.
A search did not bare much fruit so here's a question. My plows have been around for a while (Western Pro Plus 8' straight & 8.5' MVP) and I have had some issues, for the first time, this season. I have decided to get some spare parts to keep on the trucks. Several on line sources have some pre-made repair kits. Depending on the site the items included can vary. Price can vary too. I don't want to pay for crap parts that will let me down. Is there a big difference in quality of hardware available at the on-line sources? If so, where do you recommend obtaining parts from? Would you buy a pre-made kit or make up your own?

What parts do you recommend I carry? I was thinking of carrying the following:
(1) Spare hydraulic hose-long enough to fit any application in a pinch.
(1) Relay.
(2) Hair pin cotters-keeps the truck side receiver on the t/s mount.
(1-2) fittings-make suggestions for which to have please.

Please add anything else you would suggest.
'06 Bobcat A300 w/ 100" snow bucket & 8' straight blade
'97 Cat 416C
'06 KTM 525 EXC (doesn't seem to push snow very efficiently but will keep trying)
'04 544J
Dirt related iron
Old 03-18-2012, 12:19 PM
2000 Club Member

you can add an extra solenoid right under the hood so you can switch the wires over fast.Springs,If you have cash a spare pump and motor sitting at home would be nice.As for the hoses ,buy one of each,they aren't that much.Tow strap in case you need to get it home after it broke to hold it up.

www.grandviewlandscaping.com

Old 05-09-2012, 04:15 PM

Western selling the whole repair kit, all the bolts and pins and hoses, solenoid, springs you need. They should be around 120-140
Old 05-09-2012, 07:12 PM

2 inch ratchet strap so you can lift the plow if the pump craps out
Old 06-02-2012, 09:30 AM

My new favorite place is harbor freight tools (online store also). Good place for chains, winches, lifts, etc. Cheap stuff good in a pinch. The cheap car jacks are small enough to throw under a seat and awesome when its lousy out and you need to lift plow/truck.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:47 PM

Both plows are chain lift so why worry about carrying around equipment to lift and hold up the blade when you can just push it into a pile of snow then get out and short chain it?
Old 07-10-2012, 08:06 PM
2000 Club Member

Kinda hard to short chain it on like the first snow,,,,or if it breaks going dwn the road. And I just gotta add. A spring??? Really. Really. Have ya'll tried to remove a rusty spring bolt without heat??
Old 07-18-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselss View Post
Kinda hard to short chain it on like the first snow,,,,or if it breaks going dwn the road. And I just gotta add. A spring??? Really. Really. Have ya'll tried to remove a rusty spring bolt without heat??
I keep everything coated down with fluid film and put never seize on the bolts when it goes together so yea they come apart ok. I had a spring break once on a 7.5 Meyer and kept running with 2 springs the rest of the storm. Couldn't scrape the hard pack without the blade folding over until I replaced that third spring. So in my mind having a spare is necessary and of course keeping the bolts in good enough shape so they can be replaced out in the storm.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:04 PM
2000 Club Member

What normal person is Gunna take apart there plow and anti-sieze the bolts. And who keeps the tools in the tk to do so
Old 07-20-2012, 11:24 AM

I always kept extra springs on my truck after a few years ago all but one broke when i hit a huge pot hole in a parking lot i was plowing. It was not fun trying to scrape with the blade folding forward every time i put it down.

But as a side note I plow with my welding truck so I always have a torch, welders and tons or tools to patch up my plow. I can't see someone getting old spring bolts off in the middle of a storm with just wrenches

A.M. Canfora Welding and Fabrication
Old 07-20-2012, 12:30 PM

I all ways have springs and I bolts. Hoses and even bolts for my cutting edge. Blowtorch with map gas and full set of tools and my trustee 1/2" impact gun. And drill. Ill try and fix it to get by till morning.