Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 AM

The people at sima realized it was more profitable to collect membership and mail out magazines than it is to Plow and salt....
Old 02-22-2012, 11:24 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmtboy View Post
I was contemplating with becoming a Sima member, and I just read through the latest issue of Snow Business. Mainly the section on the 15th annual Symposium. I was getting a little excited as I was reading through the events and figuring out which ones I would attend if I did become a member. Their looks to be a lot of knowledge to be had along with a good time. Then I started adding up the cost. Sima membership $180, fuel 16 hrs 830 miles (round trip) $200, 4 nights in a hotel $600 and with snacks on the way out and back I'm over $1000 and that doesn't include any spending money while I am there! Seems like a lot of money to spend. Am I right or am I missing something??
That is the question how much is this potential knowledge worth to you? Have you ever looked at what a consultant would charge? Now your first year membership is really only $130.00 + see below what you could win.
NEW IN 2012:
For each new member recruited, both the new member and the referring member will be entered into a drawing to win 1 of 3 prizes.
The drawing will be held May 15th, 2012.
Prizes inlclude...

All-Expense Paid Trip to the 2012 Snow & Ice Symposium (June 20-23, 2012) in Buffalo, NY
Complete set of SIMA Training Videos
SIMA Fleece

+ refer me and you get a 30 inch theSnowplow shovel free.

So membership $130.00, fuel to get there $200, Symposium fees $295.00, Snack and Chats $50.00, hotel if you are willing to look around and drive a short distance I have found hotels in the past for $50.00 night, but say you find something around $100 you will need 3 nights, Wed, Thurs, Fri, so $300.00. There is so much free stuff going on that you really don't need much spending money. Unless you really like to party and stay out till 4 am.
You can add the banquet and closing event, its really lots of fun, but then you will need to add an extra nights accommodation. Last year we had a PlowSite GTG, drinks and food were covered by Plowsite and SIMA. The Boss party was another free fun event. The Wednesday welcome bash is another free food and limited drinks night. Then you have a welcome reception for new members free. A networking reception with a free drink, then there is the trade show:
Thursday, June 21, 1-5 p.m. - Enjoy complimentary soft drinks and tap beer during the trade show on Thursday afternoon, and take home a souvenir pint glass, compliments of Arctic Snow and Ice Control.
Friday, June 22, 8 a.m. - 1:15 p.m - New this year! The trade show will open at 8:00 a.m. on Friday morning. Join us for coffee, pastries, and extra time to meet with exhibitors on the trade show floor. Complimentary lunch will also be available on the trade show floor Friday afternoon

So you add that all up and you are looking at minimum $925.00 which includes all the other benefits of being a SIMA member for a year.
You just gave me an idea, I will see if I can set up something on this site so that people could connect and possibly car pool, and if they are willing share a hotel room.
In the end run only you know if you can truly afford this, and where you would like to take your snow business. It is a great opportunity to meet others, and learn things. The good news is that there is a symposium every year, so if not this time maybe next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad1234 View Post
The people at sima realized it was more profitable to collect membership and mail out magazines than it is to Plow and salt....
The people at SIMA are its members who are out there plowing and salting.

After shifting headquarters from Erie, Pennsylvania to Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 2007, SIMA is now poised to build on the first decade of its existence as the nonprofit professional trade association for snow and ice. With new leadership at the executive level, including a new Executive Director and fresh Board of Directors, SIMA is continuously building the go-to resource for our industry.

The Board of Directors has revised its existing governance structure to adapt to changing industry needs. These new policies will help SIMA focus energy, coordinate volunteers, and develop programs and benefits related to:

Members gaining strong improvements in managing and marketing their business
All members having equal access to quality training related to operations and safety
Providing members with the tools and information to maintain ethical business practices
SIMA will accomplish these goals and more by utilizing snow professionals from across North America in volunteer committees. These committees include Certification, Membership, Education, and Conference. Other task forces, such as an Ethics Task Force, Insurance Task Force, and Special Ops Task Force, will focus on specific projects using highly dedicated members

SIMA member
www.vanderzon.ca
http://www.cienormand.com/

Join SIMA today and get your free thesnowplow shovel, courtesy of NEIGE and save $50 on your memebership.http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.p...39#post1336039
Old 02-22-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neige View Post
That is the question how much is this potential knowledge worth to you? Have you ever looked at what a consultant would charge? Now your first year membership is really only $130.00 + see below what you could win.
NEW IN 2012:
For each new member recruited, both the new member and the referring member will be entered into a drawing to win 1 of 3 prizes.
The drawing will be held May 15th, 2012.
Prizes inlclude...

All-Expense Paid Trip to the 2012 Snow & Ice Symposium (June 20-23, 2012) in Buffalo, NY
Complete set of SIMA Training Videos
SIMA Fleece

+ refer me and you get a 30 inch theSnowplow shovel free.

So membership $130.00, fuel to get there $200, Symposium fees $295.00, Snack and Chats $50.00, hotel if you are willing to look around and drive a short distance I have found hotels in the past for $50.00 night, but say you find something around $100 you will need 3 nights, Wed, Thurs, Fri, so $300.00. There is so much free stuff going on that you really don't need much spending money. Unless you really like to party and stay out till 4 am.
You can add the banquet and closing event, its really lots of fun, but then you will need to add an extra nights accommodation. Last year we had a PlowSite GTG, drinks and food were covered by Plowsite and SIMA. The Boss party was another free fun event. The Wednesday welcome bash is another free food and limited drinks night. Then you have a welcome reception for new members free. A networking reception with a free drink, then there is the trade show:
Thursday, June 21, 1-5 p.m. - Enjoy complimentary soft drinks and tap beer during the trade show on Thursday afternoon, and take home a souvenir pint glass, compliments of Arctic Snow and Ice Control.
Friday, June 22, 8 a.m. - 1:15 p.m - New this year! The trade show will open at 8:00 a.m. on Friday morning. Join us for coffee, pastries, and extra time to meet with exhibitors on the trade show floor. Complimentary lunch will also be available on the trade show floor Friday afternoon

So you add that all up and you are looking at minimum $925.00 which includes all the other benefits of being a SIMA member for a year.
You just gave me an idea, I will see if I can set up something on this site so that people could connect and possibly car pool, and if they are willing share a hotel room.
In the end run only you know if you can truly afford this, and where you would like to take your snow business. It is a great opportunity to meet others, and learn things. The good news is that there is a symposium every year, so if not this time maybe next time.
Thanks grandview and Paul. I understand knowledge doesn't come cheap. I just can't see paying $130 for a membership fee then having to pay a additional $295 for Symposium fees as well. I'm still thinking about it so let me know what you come up with as far as car pooling goes.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:03 PM
2000 Club Member

Bring your wife/gf along plenty of things to do here.

www.grandviewlandscaping.com

Old 04-23-2012, 07:59 AM

It's getting closer and I'm still undecided! Is their any kind of deadline?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:15 AM
2000 Club Member

http://www.sima.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=7

And give them my name and you can get 50 bucks off your membership.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview View Post
http://www.sima.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=7

And give them my name and you can get 50 bucks off your membership.
did you run out of snowman kits?......
Old 04-23-2012, 12:06 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leolkfrm View Post
did you run out of snowman kits?......
I have some fresh ones being made today!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
It's getting closer and I'm still undecided! Is their any kind of deadline?
The Symposium early bird price save ($50.00) ends May 4th 2012, so yes ther is a price savings deadline.

SIMA member
www.vanderzon.ca

Join SIMA today and get your free thesnowplow shovel, courtesy of NEIGE and save $50 on your memebership.http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.p...39#post1336039
Old 04-24-2012, 10:01 PM

I had considered joining SIMA several tmes, but chose not to. I have made alot of connections through the site alone as we do our own local meet and greets often here in the Chicagoland area. I also network other ways with other contractors and that has really paid off, so why add to expenses when the white gold has not been falling from the heavens above lately...lol...As a General Contractor I learned awhile ago, joining associations doesn't make you or your company...you do. You don't need cool looking names or symbols on your truck / website / busness cards to show who are, all you need is your work and reputation.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks grandview and Paul. I understand knowledge doesn't come cheap. I just can't see paying $130 for a membership fee then having to pay a additional $295 for Symposium fees as well. I'm still thinking about it so let me know what you come up with as far as car pooling goes.
use me as a referal and ill give you a ride there
2002 chevrolet silverado W/ 8 ft fisher
2002 dodge 2500 8ft fisher
posi track skid steer
SIMA Member
www.greenstripeslandscaping.com
Old 05-04-2012, 07:54 AM

Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger! I am officially a SIMA member!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:36 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger! I am officially a SIMA member!
And the winner of the referral is....

Old 05-04-2012, 02:00 PM

Can I get a drumroll?
Old 05-04-2012, 04:14 PM

Ruuuummmmbbbllllleee
Old 05-04-2012, 06:51 PM

And the winner is.......😃
Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 PM
2000 Club Member

OK Secrest ,the winner.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:58 AM

The winner is Paul! He was the biggest influence on why I became a member, thanks again Paul.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
The winner is Paul! He was the biggest influence on why I became a member, thanks again Paul.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, I look forward to meeting you in Buffalo.

SIMA member
www.vanderzon.ca

Old 05-10-2012, 06:43 PM
2000 Club Member

Paul will be the Canadian holding a beer!