Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2012, 07:43 AM

Boss broken lift bar

Has anyone ever seen a boss plow brake at the lift cylinder were the light bar is at. I tried to get a picture but it will not upload. It's the bar that the lift cylinder pins into. It broke right in half. I was lifting the plow up to move it for storage and I heard a snap. Got out and checked the plow and the bar was broke into.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:47 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

broke

i seen one personally ,i believe it is occuring due stacking pile's .
Old 04-16-2012, 07:15 PM

Never seen one broke, I have seen the lift cyl bolt hole egg shape from wear.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:21 PM

I am trying to get a picture up. I took a picture to the boss dealer today and they have never seen one break like this one did. It broke right were the weld is for the lift cyl bolt goes. Busted that 3 inch tube clean threw.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:29 AM

Well it said it took the picture. The rust is from the plow sitting outside in all of this rain. I checked with the dealer and it will cost around $400.00 for the part to fix it. There was no snow to stack with this winter, only plow twice with it.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2012, 07:06 AM

I would sleeve the inside, and weld the tube.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:24 AM

how old is the blade ?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:31 AM

It's a V 9' 2' and it's 8 years old. I take it apart every two years and replace whats needs to be replaced. I am sending it down this summer to be sand blasted and painted for next winter.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:52 AM

wow not really that old. never seen one break there. better check mine closer only 2 years newer. i agree sleeve inside weld it up and maybe brace along the top. good luck.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:01 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

stacking was the problem with the one i saw ,but over penetration on the weld might have let a crack start on the passenger side weld ! go to a heaver wall schedule 80 pipe and you should be good to go .
Old 04-17-2012, 09:39 AM

There are several posts on here regarding this. Do a search. Your dealer has their blinders on. I have fixed 4 last year. The stacking comment is a factory excuse. So they are saying don't stack. BS.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:33 PM

TJS. Did a search and found that post you were talking about. It's back in 2009 an boss has not came out with a fix for this problem. Did have some nice pics showing how the other guys fixed theirs. I got looking at it this afternoon an notice that the frame pins are getting sloppy. So I am going to pull it apart and put some bushings in. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin Grass View Post
TJS. Did a search and found that post you were talking about. It's back in 2009 an boss has not came out with a fix for this problem. Did have some nice pics showing how the other guys fixed theirs. I got looking at it this afternoon an notice that the frame pins are getting sloppy. So I am going to pull it apart and put some bushings in. Thanks for the help.
@Kickin Grass - Sorry to hear that you are having this issue. I sent you a PM with contact information for our Technical Service department here at BOSS. Please give Mike a call at 906.776.3500 and he will help you out. Thanks!
www.bossplow.com

Old 04-18-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS_JG View Post
@Kickin Grass - Sorry to hear that you are having this issue. I sent you a PM with contact information for our Technical Service department here at BOSS. Please give Mike a call at 906.776.3500 and he will help you out. Thanks!
NICE !!
Old 04-20-2012, 02:35 PM

Well I guess you all want to know what BOSS-JD wanted to talked to me about. So let me tell you what happen. I went to the Bobcat Dealer in Lansing to get some parts for my T-320. They happen to sell Boss plows. So I showed them the pic of the broken part on my plow. They of course said they had never seen one break like that. But they did say they would look into it. So I posted on this site to look for help on this problem.You guys came back with the help I needed. In the meantime Bobcat of Lansing already had a new part coming from Boss to replace the part that broke.

So I called Boss and they told me that they wanted to help me out to get my plow back up and running for next year. Mike from Boss said he had a new part ready to ship but needed my address to send it out to me. Hey I think you have already sent the part to Bobcat of Lansing. Oh that was your plow. So we talked about their plows, got some good info on new stuff. Great people at Boss.

Bobcat of Lansing just call and the part is already here, all I got to do is go pick it up. Now that what I call a good dealer.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:38 PM

I think there is a fix for that problem - the newer plows have a bigger tube there in that spot. I broke one, a buddy broke one, fixed it no big deal - we USE our plows more than one probably should, and they work every night.

If Boss could engineer an indestructable plow for me, it'd weigh 10,000# and my truck would break something every night.

Keep my Boss' just the way it is (with the new trip edge) please.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:30 AM

What ever caused the problem it had been going on for a while judging by the rust on and inside the cracked pipe.This is a good reminder for all of us to inspect our plows reguarly with a fine tooth comb. Sounds like Boss is taking care of you and luckly it broke when it did ,good luck.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:38 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

The newer plows have an updated mounting for the tabs. Instead of welding under the tube the tabs actually slide over the cross tube and are welded all the way around distributing the load more evenly
Old 07-07-2012, 09:28 PM

This happend to my plow also. My fix was a piece of flat stock metal 1/2 thich by about 2" or 3inchs tall. get original pipe lined back up then weld the flat stock inbetween the plow frame. put a good weld on the frame and some welds to the pipe as well. So what your looking to do is make like a stiffener to the pipe. Has worked for me for a couple of years now and really is a very cheap fix, if your like me you probably have some mettal laying around from another project you can use. I searched this problem and found some pics where they did the same thing is how i came up with it.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:24 AM

AN 8 year old plow and Boss sends you a new part to fix it free of charge? WoW! They sure seem to understand how to retain customers there.
I had a few glitches with my VXT when I purchased it and they looked after me all the way ... even made me a custom part. Actually a little stunning these days.
Way to go Boss!
2006 Ram 2500 CTD ... Gone