Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2012, 11:59 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Who is using them?

They look cool and like a good idea!
Plows, Pushers, Buckets, Brooms, Kage Plows, Salt Spreaders, Shovels, and a SS Snow Blower

Take It To The Curb
Old 01-24-2012, 07:37 PM

Would also like to know how they perform the videos on the website suck!

2005 GMC 2500HD
8'2 Boss VXT + Wings = 10'2

"Make sure you put in a honest day's work, people on welfare are depending on you!"
Old 01-25-2012, 08:00 PM

I have a Western backdrag blade for my Western 8ft pro plow, and actually it seems that the Western cleaned better than the one in the video, which looks like it is a Western plow.

2010 GMC 2500HD Western Prodigy
1994 GMC 2500 Western 8' Pro
www.dandrsnowplowing.webs.com
www.schaumburg-home-inspector.com
Old 01-26-2012, 10:12 AM

cutting edge wear

It looks like a good idea but how do you allow for cutting edge wear relative to the primary edge?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 PM

The guys with Fisher plows aren't. They dont fit around the ribs. Told me to find a plasma cutter and modfiy it for my 8"HD, which essentially means cutting it into several pieces.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:06 PM

They work great and come in handy when doing driveways and dragging snow away from infront of garages and houses and doesn't pack down the snow when dragging without one.Mine just hangs there and the only time it moves is when the blade is down.When I drop the blade and start backing up the edge moves up against the spring bars.Here are some pictures of my Fisher mm2 backdrag and its scrapping.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:08 PM
2000 Club Member

iv been wanting to get one. it makes sence. i ahve to back drag to remove snow. push to scrap up the back draging caint get, then back drag that snow.

with a back drag edge you have the same angle going backward as you do going forward, so it should cut backward jsut the same as going forward.

as far as cutting edge wear, both edges are on the ground at teh same time. so they both wear the same.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:15 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyzrule810 View Post
They work great and come in handy when doing driveways and dragging snow away from infront of garages and houses and doesn't pack down the snow when dragging without one.Mine just hangs there and the only time it moves is when the blade is down.When I drop the blade and start backing up the edge moves up against the spring bars.Here are some pictures of my Fisher mm2 backdrag and its scrapping.

how does your plow go forward? seems the back drag edge is holding your front edge off the ground
Old 01-28-2012, 02:45 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
how does your plow go forward? seems the back drag edge is holding your front edge off the ground
When you go foward, the backdrag blade piviots back and lets the front cutting edge contact the ground.
(815) 570-2349 - Fax
phil@triplethreat.comcastbiz.net

Old 01-28-2012, 02:56 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbilly2 View Post
When you go foward, the backdrag blade piviots back and lets the front cutting edge contact the ground.
ok its a hinge type. i thought so. iv been wanting to talk to someone about a hinge type. see how well it actualy works. do you ever find that when you back up it does not flip into place?

it looks as if your plow is a trip edge and the back drag edge is being pushed down by the trip edge springs, is this correct?

where did you purchase it?
Old 01-28-2012, 08:15 AM

Those flip down types can break loose in the middle of the night and tear up everything it can get to under your front end including an oil pan. They can also bend much easier than the bolt on type. The ones here bolt on and are premeasured and predrilled to each manufacturer's measurements to hit the ground at the same time as the cutting edge. The cutting edge wears slower due to having more steel on the ground at the same time. The ones here also reinforce the plow due to the heavy duty construction. Bent twice with reinforcing gussets the length of the blade. No, the Fisher's aren't available without cutting them up but they work well. Steensma probably will have these available within a short time. There are lots of them in the K-Zoo - BC area. Gardner Bros in BC uses them, DJ's and others in KZ.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:14 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROHess View Post
Those flip down types can break loose in the middle of the night and tear up everything it can get to under your front end including an oil pan. They can also bend much easier than the bolt on type. The ones here bolt on and are premeasured and predrilled to each manufacturer's measurements to hit the ground at the same time as the cutting edge. The cutting edge wears slower due to having more steel on the ground at the same time. The ones here also reinforce the plow due to the heavy duty construction. Bent twice with reinforcing gussets the length of the blade. No, the Fisher's aren't available without cutting them up but they work well. Steensma probably will have these available within a short time. There are lots of them in the K-Zoo - BC area. Gardner Bros in BC uses them, DJ's and others in KZ.
have you actualy seen this happen to someone?
Old 01-28-2012, 09:38 AM

I do the SIMA trade show booth and no I haven't been in the truck with someone but I've heard a few horror stories about front ends getting torn up. I'm sure it's a rare thing but it depends upon how much you trust a couple of welds rather than eight cutting edge bolts. In the middle of the night with a truck on the line in the middle of nowhere I guess it's up in the air. Doesn't seem like much of a choice to me but everyone can do what they feel comfortable with regarding BDB's.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:46 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROHess View Post
I do the SIMA trade show booth and no I haven't been in the truck with someone but I've heard a few horror stories about front ends getting torn up. I'm sure it's a rare thing but it depends upon how much you trust a couple of welds rather than eight cutting edge bolts. In the middle of the night with a truck on the line in the middle of nowhere I guess it's up in the air. Doesn't seem like much of a choice to me but everyone can do what they feel comfortable with regarding BDB's.
what would you think if there were the hinge mounts, say 8 of them going across the edge rather than 4 as iv seen them built?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:05 AM

I would trust them a whole lot more, but getting someone to do it for less than these BDB's are for sale for will be tough. Plus the base angle would be full of holes or welds and the plow wouldn't be any more rigid, probably less. But again, the plow owner can and will do anything he wants or feels comfortable with. A guy could build a truck too but they're already available for less at the local dealership. Some guys want to do it themselves and always will.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:05 AM

I've only heard of one snapping before and that was because he used an old cutting edge and you have to use a lot of heat to weld to the cutting edge as it is hardened steel..Its like painting a car if your prep work for paint isn't right the paint job won't come out as it should.Mine backdrag is made out of 5/8" thick 6" tall and 8" long steel brand new from the metal shop.Your best option would be to find someone who makes them
Old 01-28-2012, 10:08 AM

The side pieces that attach the backdrag are egg shaped so its height can be adjusted.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d&r View Post
I have a Western backdrag blade for my Western 8ft pro plow, and actually it seems that the Western cleaned better than the one in the video, which looks like it is a Western plow.
I have one on my western too, works very well.

94 Chevy - 8'6 Western Ultramount

96 GMC 7'6 Western Unimount

98 GMC 8'6 Western Conventional

Bobcat 763

Polaris 400c - swisher plow

Youtube:
www.youtube.com/BOSSLAWN2343
Old 02-06-2012, 12:15 PM

I have one on my ST-78 Meyers, seems OK, hard to tell as we have had almost no snow. Mine had to be slightly modified, as BDB does not stock one for the ST-78.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:10 PM

I have a Western with a back drag blade and love it. I do all residential driveways with a lot of head on garages and it saves me a lot of time. I couldn't believe how much time it saved me and wished I got one sooner. It wears slower than the main edge because its not in contact with the pavement going forward. I find it helps to angle it a little so it bites better, once you clear the building/garage door.
One word of caution: don't try and drag back too much wet snow in one shot with it. You'll get hung up with all that stuff packed between your plow and the front end. After you screw up once, you'll remember.