Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-14-2012, 06:58 PM

No Power

So, I just hooked up my truckside wiring. 2004 GMC 1500. I have all the right parts. I have power coming from my fusebox via an accessory fuse. Where does this go?

I have power on one large lug at my solenoid because it is connected directly to power.

Other than there I find no 12v. All fuses have been checked and are good. The Large ground lug is attached to the motor and its smaller wire is hooked up to where it is supposed to go(control harness I think, its a one of a kind connection).

Any clues?

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
So, I just hooked up my truckside wiring. 2004 GMC 1500. I have all the right parts. I have power coming from my fusebox via an accessory fuse. Where does this go?

I have power on one large lug at my solenoid because it is connected directly to power.

Other than there I find no 12v. All fuses have been checked and are good. The Large ground lug is attached to the motor and its smaller wire is hooked up to where it is supposed to go(control harness I think, its a one of a kind connection).

Any clues?

Thanks.
First of all the plow must be hooked up to the truck with all 3 plugs. There should be a red wire coming out of the control harness cable that you ran into the cab. That is the wire you want to connect to keyed power in your fusebox. When everything is connected properly, you should have power at the controller with the key on. Make sure all the plugs in the iso mod are securely attached. Keep us posted.

2015 GMC 2500HD Double Cab Short Box 6.0/4.10
8.5' Fisher XV SS
2014 F350 SC XLT 8.5' XV2 SS (work ride)
34 years of snowfighting

"Live for today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come"

Old 03-14-2012, 08:40 PM

The truck is hooked to the plow and the red wire is hooked to a 12v switched by the key. The truck is running. Is one of the small terminals on the solenoid under the hood also supposed to have 12v? I do not have 12v there except on the big lug going to the battery.

Last edited by Paul D; 03-14-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
The truck is hooked to the plow and the red wire is hooked to a 12v switched by the key. The truck is running. Is one of the small terminals on the solenoid under the hood also supposed to have 12v? I do not have 12v there except on the big lug going to the battery.
Is the joystick red light or the Fishstick backlighting on? The only time the solenoid will have power to both of the large terminals is when you physically operate one of the plow functions via the controller. Check your ground connection.

2015 GMC 2500HD Double Cab Short Box 6.0/4.10
8.5' Fisher XV SS
2014 F350 SC XLT 8.5' XV2 SS (work ride)
34 years of snowfighting

"Live for today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come"

Old 03-15-2012, 07:42 AM

Back to my problem. Thanks for the replies. I was curious if there should be power at one of the smaller terminals too? Where do the power from inside the truck end up? At the Iso and the solenoid too?
Old 03-15-2012, 12:35 PM

I think it's my isolation module. I have traced power from inside truck all the way into the iso mod. Am I missing something else?
Old 03-15-2012, 09:06 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

Did u determine if the controller lights up, works? One small pin on solenoid should be constant gnd and the other is switched pwr from the controller.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:53 PM

Controller works. Found that out by plugging in a 26400 white label 4 port box. Plow moves too. Lights need work, only one worked and on high beam only. Would like to find out if my green label box 3 port box is shot or not but not so worried about DRL's as to be afraid to run the white label box if that is the only downside.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:58 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

Well if it worked with a 4 port ISO, can you try a 3 port as well?
Old 03-15-2012, 10:04 PM

I will try the green label 3 port( the correct iso) again tomorrow. It was a last ditch effort trying the white label box(ford/dodge), but it did tell me a lot, that being my motor solenoid was good, the controller actually could work, and the12 volt from the fuse box wasn't broken along the way.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:12 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

Ok sounds good. You know it can work. The lights not working could be b/c the 4 port ISO and 3port ISO wiring. Try the 3 ISO and let us know
Old 03-16-2012, 05:02 PM

I need to find a 3 port green or white label box and verify that my green label box is non-operable.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:46 PM

Paul if your working with a three port iso set up the Fisher wiring plugs can be used in two applications the positve common and negative common systems, you'll see an "A" and a "B" side to the plugs, make sure you have all the plugs going the same way.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:26 PM

With the 29070-1(green label) box my controller power light is very dim and it goes off when i push the stick any direction. My headlights are now working fine with this box.

With the 26400 , 4 port box my plow will operate and the controller power light works fine, but my headlights are screwed up. I know this is the wrong box but learned a lot by trying it.

I want to try a different 29070 or a 29760 to verify my existing one is fubar.

All the people I know have 4 port boxes.

Last edited by Paul D; 03-16-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:37 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

did you ever get a new module?
Old 03-26-2012, 03:37 PM

uhh.. the headlight harnesses that plug into a 4 port module are totally different than the ones for a 3 port. do you have both kinds of harnesses?
and you prob should look at a diagram. I can point you to the correct instructions for whichever way you decide to go.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:30 PM

which isolation module did originally start with? Did you buy it brand new?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:07 PM

OK...where to start? I got it straightened out. Box was fine. Big thanks to Lon at Seigworth Road Supply for taking the time to field my calls. I had purchased push plates from him and knew he would take my call and he was super helpful. Believe it or not you can get the plow(only) to work with a 4 port white box(not the lights) by moving all connectors on the 3 port box over to 2,3, and 4 and unplugging the 4 plug adapter from the control harness and plugging that into port 1. This enabled me to verify the my plow would work and my controller was good as well as my motor solenoid, as posted above.

Upon reviewing the schematics and the mechanics guide(thank you to Chris/UNHCP for pointing me towards those resources) I realized I needed to get my iso mod tested.

I then turned to EW Sleeper in Concord, NH who were nice enough to test my box(it was fine). They encouraged me to stop by with my truck for a quick look at my install. The noticed I had the ground for the plow hooked up over by the alternator where it says GROUND. This was my whole problem. I needed to hook the ground direct to the battery. Once I did that I was in business.

Don't ask me why the white box would work like this and the green labeled 3 port box wouldn't but that was what was wrong.

End of story. Whew. Go ahead and call me a rookie installer, but I'm not any more. Haha.

Thanks again to LON, E.W. Sleeper, and Chris(Unhcp)!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:09 PM

Awesome! good job getting it all worked out.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:15 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

Cool. Seems like you got a good bunch of guys helping you out down there. Nice job