Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2012, 07:21 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrowsnow View Post
we do a shopping center thats 6.5 acres. we run a case ih ag tractor on it with a 8 foot box. on two to four inch storms using just that machine my guy is in and out in four hours then drives twenty miles to service another 3 locations. on bigger snows we run that and a pick up with 9 foot blade helps him for a few hours. i have another site thats just over two acres and a 8 foot blade with wings is able to knock it out in just under an hour and half.
You drive a tractor 40 miles every storm?? What do you do on a 6-8"er, drive back and forth??
Old 03-19-2012, 09:11 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPC Services View Post
Not to disagree with you here JDdave I think you always have great info when it comes to bigger commercial. But are we talking skid loaders or wheel loaders for these 2-3 acre lots.
But you are disagreeing with him, I think the only skidsteer Dave runs is at the farm.....maybe.

I'm referring to wheel loaders with pushers. 16' pushers.

Quote:
Because if we are talking wheel loaders thatís over kill.
Again, I disagree. It's been working for me for 14 seasons.

Quote:
I can charge the same amount for two trucks as I would could for one wheel loader and be done in the same amount of time. I better have 3-4 lots that same size in a mile radius for the wheel loader to then become profitable.
Great, but I only have to pay one operator. One insurance payment. No extra taxes for employees, etc, etc, etc.

I do have that many lots, so it works great for me.

Quote:
Stacking it know or being able to stack it later has no affect on how you charge your client!! As long as it gets done. Your charging around the same because itís going to take you around the same amount of time to stack it either way!!
This all depends. Some of the guys around here (the one we took the customer from) was charging extra to stack it later. We came in with equipment to get the job done RIGHT the first time, not later when and if we had time.

Some customers do want the job done the right way, the first time. They don't want piles staged all over the place, then equipment moving it around to where it should have gone in the first place.

And while you may be charging the same, you're losing money. If the work can be accomplished the right way the first time, you are saving money and fuel by not having to go back to do the job you should have done when you were there to begin with. I would tend to disagree with your last statement as well. Because the snow has now compacted and there is no air left in it. And if I have to move it, more than likely I need to use just the loader bucket, not the pusher box. Not to mention screwing around with traffic, potential for having to reapply salt, etc, etc, etc.

Always put the snow where it belongs the first time, especially when wet\close to freezing. Otherwise it's like trying to move a glacier.

Quote:
The only difference is you can get other things done that are priorities before your time deadlines our up or if your behind on another property and need to go get it caught up. Then go back and stack at your own convince as long as the client is ok with it. We discus with some of our clients about small staging areas to leave the snow by where we are to stack the snow and most are fine with it as long as it s not interfering with their customers trying to access the property.
Then IMHO, you are underequipped for the work you are performing. As I said, you have the equipment to do the job right the first time.

What happens when in a "normal" season, snow starts coming day after day, or even a couple days apart? Have you ever plowed 20 out of 30 days in a month? I have. There is no time to move snow when it is convenient. You're too busy plowing or salting or repairing equipment or sleeping. Your staging areas will be full. And your theory about taking the same amount of time goes out the window even faster.

Like I said, if I am able to place the snow where it should be right away because I am "overkilling" on equipment, and do it for the same cost as you can with 2 trucks, I can walk away with an awful lot of your customers because they will be getting better service for the same price because I am using the proper equipment. It has nothing to do with overkill, it is all about efficiency.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:19 PM
2000 Club Member

I continue reading and if you have a row of 3 acre lots within a close proximity I can see running the loader and having a truck run around the lots and do detail work. I had my blinders on when I first started typing and forgot to realize there are different solutions for different scenarios which has to be taken into consideration. In my case I have a bunch of 2 to 3 acre lots spread out over 5 to 6 mile radius and getting around with a truck and keeping the lots clean and then going back to stack snow after hours works best for me. I am one to admit when I am wrong and I am somewhat wrong here, but I am also somewhat right. All depends on the circumstance. On a side not I have lost 5 lbs this week working outside.

2003 CHEVY SILVERADO 2500 HD--Fisher 8.5 SS EXV
2004 CHEVY SILVERADO 2500 HD--Fisher XLS
(2)Truckcraft T-120 Dump Insert and T-130 D-ICER
4 -Toro 21" Single Stage
1-Toro 24" Snow Commander
SIMA MEMBER
Old 03-21-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHOLS LANDSCA View Post
You drive a tractor 40 miles every storm?? What do you do on a 6-8"er, drive back and forth??
we park it there the day before a storm. once that lot is finished he hits the road to help the trucks out on our other lots. then takes the machine home when finished the machine tops out at around 25 mph its not a bad ride at all. on an all day event we would just keep the machine there constantly running then when that lot is finished he would come into town.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkartsplow View Post
I'm sorry I am not in the big boy club but a truck with an 10 foot plow can move a lot of snow and if you need snow stacked then do it after the storm. I think you were miss reading my answer. If they all had to be done at the same time and at different locations then you can put a loader and 2 trucks on the larger lot and if it not a bad snowfall a loader and truck will handle it easily. Then you can have one truck at both of the 3 acre lots which which can be done in 2 hours.
I was not referring to you, just an overall. I'm not a big boy either

In my area, large lot owners want a loader, we average 135" of snow a year 20 events.
Some even put a max time to plow it. They expect the snow to be stacked as well or there going to loose parking spaces.

And a loader can scrape ice and frozen snow up better then my plow. I use my tractor all the time to scrape or break of ice with the loader
Old 04-15-2012, 09:17 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

If I put a loader on one of my 3 acre lots I would be laughed out of town. Everyone is different, every area is different, but if it works for you AWESOME!

I WANT a loader sooo bad I cant stand it. BUT...I cant justify one. BTW, my biggest lot is just over 11 acres, with 8 others over 3 acres.
1 Skid with Pusher
(2) 300 gallon liquid deicers

Proud SIMA Member
Snowcare For Troops Member
Old 04-15-2012, 09:23 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman 92 View Post
If I put a loader on one of my 3 acre lots I would be laughed out of town. Everyone is different, every area is different, but if it works for you AWESOME!

I WANT a loader sooo bad I cant stand it. BUT...I cant justify one. BTW, my biggest lot is just over 11 acres, with 8 others over 3 acres.
Let them laugh. It's only been the last 10 years that people havn't laughed at us for plowing with farm tractors and that's only because everyone went out and bought one. Loaders are the same deal, get your routes tight and let 1 guy and 1 machine do the work of 3 or 4 pickups. No one will be laughing then and who cares if they do.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:27 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Dave View Post
Let them laugh. It's only been the last 10 years that people havn't laughed at us for plowing with farm tractors and that's only because everyone went out and bought one. Loaders are the same deal, get your routes tight and let 1 guy and 1 machine do the work of 3 or 4 pickups. No one will be laughing then and who cares if they do.
I have very tight routes but my big accounts are spaced out to where its just not dooable. I do have 2 decent lots ( a 3 acre and a 4 acre) within a mile of each other, but our average snowfall is not reliable enough to buy a loader. Everything here is per push, and it just doesnt add up to a loader ( and I've done the math a hundred times)
I wish we could estabilish some decent seasonals, but I dont see it happining.
1 Skid with Pusher
(2) 300 gallon liquid deicers

Proud SIMA Member
Snowcare For Troops Member