Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 12-10-2011, 08:31 AM
2000 Club Member

Fisher Trip Edge Spring Installation

Just putting this into the forum as an official thread so that if anyone searches for it they can find it.

This post is basically to show the way that I re-installed my springs. I really felt that this method was about the easiest and safest way to install the springs.

It has been mentioned by other posters in the forums that they have used a shop press, spring compressor, or similar to compress the spring and insert a bolt into the spring in the retainer hole so that they can re-install the spring. What I've found in those posts is that it only gets you close and you have to still do some compressing to get the mounting bolt holes to line up.

So, here's what I did. The main reason I used this method as one spring didn't quit fit the way it should do the the repairs done to the plow by the previous owners (that is the spring in the picture). They also had added a 1/2" spacer in the trip edge to get a steeper attack angle to cut through hard-packs and ice. This spacer made it so that the spring had to be compressed farther than stock to re-install it.

When I took that spring out, the trip edge had to be completely removed before it would slide out. I was really afraid that if I didn't have the spring in place while installing the trip edge, that it wasn't going to go back in correctly.

I put the moldboard of my plow against the driveway. I had an extra piece of short pipe that I hammered into the ground against the concrete of my driveway. This pipe was basically to keep the moldboard in place and not move when I compressed the springs.

I then drove a steel post into the ground as far as I felt comfortable. Go as deep as you can as the pressure of the hand winch will bend the post.

I think took a threaded C-clip, or similar and hooked it into the hole in the top of the spring pack. This was just so that my hook on my winch would easily be connected to the spring pack.

Then All you have to do is crank the winch down so that it compressed the spring against the stop. Once you get the spring pack where you want it, you then just install the bolt connecting the spring pack to the trip edge.

Took all but 15 minutes or so to re-install the springs. There was no prying on the spring packs, no compressing with a spring compressor, or no presses involved. That and never at any point did I feel like I was going to injure myself.

If there is any question about the process, feel free to ask. I'd like to make any clarifications if need be. If anyone wants to post a different method of installing the springs, then feel free. Every situation creates different challenges.

Last edited by White Gardens; 12-10-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:56 AM

I just finished one yesterday but did it a little different then your way because the blade was all painted and didn't want to lay it on the driveway.Take the plow and put it upright with a 2x4 under each side of the trip edge then take come-a-long and attach the cable end to the top of the spring with a c clip.Take the ratcheting end and hook it under the trip edge.Ratchet it up till the spring is in place to put the bolt into the hole.The plow can stay right in the garage and don't have to worry about moving it outside.I'll post pictures when I'm done with the one I'm painting now.