Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2011, 09:05 PM
2000 Club Member

Bobcat inside enclosed trailer?

Has anyone ever used an enclosed trailer to transport a medium size skid loader? Some enclosed trailers have plenty of payload capacity, the biggest problem would be getting a trailer with a strong enough door and also a trailer that is tall enough to fit the skid inside. I was thinking that an enclosed trailer would be very nice for transporting the machine in the winter and keeping as much salt off it as possible.
I realize pushers, snow buckets, etc won't fit inside to well, I'm talking about just the machine.

Discuss.

Chevy 2500HD
Takeuchi TL230

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
and I thought I was stupid
Old 02-13-2011, 09:11 PM
2000 Club Member

wow! Nice try!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 PM

I just saw a set of loading ramps or maybe it was one big loading ramp on eBay that was good for up to like 10,000 lbs. They had a Bobcat parked on it in the picture. I would think that if it physically fit in the trailer, the only hangup would be the ramp door. I don't think I'd want to try this. My father-in-law plows with 3 Bobcats and I haven't noticed any salt on them from riding on the equipment trailers.

Of course I can't find a link for those ramps now, but I'm sure I saw them the other night.
7.5' Meyer poly
Snow-ex 1075

'98 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
reg. cab, long bed
5.9 gas
on it's way out the door...
Old 02-13-2011, 09:51 PM

So your concerned about getting salt on the skid steer that you are going to be plowing with while transporting it? Did I understand that correctly?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:59 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paponte View Post
So your concerned about getting salt on the skid steer that you are going to be plowing with while transporting it? Did I understand that correctly?
Correct.

Salt that the tires throw on the side of the machine from running around the lots is easy to wash off. The salty/grimy mist that the passing cars and trucks throw in the air gets into all the little spaces and hard to clean areas. A friend of mine has 5-7 Bobcat's that range between a couple hundred and 5,000hrs. None of them have ever seen salt, it's amazing how clean a 4,000hr skid loader can be that's never been out on the roads in the winter. I know of machines with 700hrs on them that are in 10x worse shape. I realize plowing and the environment with salt around is going to take it's toll on a machine no matter what but I'd like to prolong that as long as I can.

Chevy 2500HD
Takeuchi TL230

Quote:
Old 02-13-2011, 10:10 PM
2000 Club Member

Even though the payload might be OK I don't think the floor would handle driving a skid on it. Most have pretty thin plywood floors.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:14 PM

I'm not sure it'd be worth all the hassle. Maybe just secure a tarp over it real good when transporting?
7.5' Meyer poly
Snow-ex 1075

'98 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
reg. cab, long bed
5.9 gas
Old 02-13-2011, 10:50 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cet View Post
Even though the payload might be OK I don't think the floor would handle driving a skid on it. Most have pretty thin plywood floors.
I'd think some of the heavy duty auto haulers with 8-10,000lb capacity's should be ok. They might need a little reinforcing but I wouldn't think a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwby_ram View Post
I'm not sure it'd be worth all the hassle. Maybe just secure a tarp over it real good when transporting?
Now that would be to simple wouldn't it?

I'm not saying it's the only way to move a SS, I'm just asking. For what those things cost I want one to last as long as possible.

Chevy 2500HD
Takeuchi TL230

Quote:
Old 02-13-2011, 11:08 PM

I actually spec'd out a trailer for this. The GVWR of the trailer would have to be 10,000lbs or more, you have to have a taller door opening to fit the SS, then the steel framing of the floor would have to be 12" on center to support the weight during transport, and when you build the door there is no way you could a spring big enough to handle the weight of the door so you would need a winch to assist in opening and closing the door.

I got prices of about $12-15k without any of the door needs. That would prob cost about $2k more plus your time for fab work. No one would guaranty the door.
2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel 8611LP
2003 330 Peterbilt Hooklift truck
2008 Yanmar VIO 35-3
2004 Takeucki TL130
1999 B7500 Kubota
Old 02-14-2011, 12:31 AM
Sponsor

Better off buying a dump trailer and making the sides taller. Then you can use it to haul snow also. With tall sides it would stay pretty clean in there.

And, put a flat bed on the truck, haul the big snow pusher or big snow bucket on the back of the truck.
Dealers Wanted - PM for details.

Visit and "like" us on Facebook. New pictures and vids updated frequently on our Facebook Page.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark13 View Post
Has anyone ever used an enclosed trailer to transport a medium size skid loader? Some enclosed trailers have plenty of payload capacity, the biggest problem would be getting a trailer with a strong enough door and also a trailer that is tall enough to fit the skid inside. I was thinking that an enclosed trailer would be very nice for transporting the machine in the winter and keeping as much salt off it as possible.
I realize pushers, snow buckets, etc won't fit inside to well, I'm talking about just the machine.

Discuss.
Yeah, I purchased one at the company I worked for before I went into business for myself. I can't think of the name of the place right now, I want to say it was Trailer Town maybe, but it came from Wichita, Ks I went there to order it and they said I could pick it up in a week.
We intended on using it for an irrigation equipment trailer for our sprinkler system crew and hauling the trencher/pipe puller in it. Which we did. When I was ordering it though the guy asked if I wanted a taller ceiling so I could use it for hauling a skid steer if I ever needed too. So we added that to the trailer also. We did use it for that from time to time, especially when we would leave the skid steer on a job and during snow removal on occasion. We hauled a JD 320 in it and the only thing was that the anchors that were built into the trailer for binding the equipment weren't placed real well for when we hauled the skid steer and it was a very tight fit across as you had maybe an inch on the side of each tire before hitting the wall. I see some have questioned being able to have a heavy enough door on the trailer for the loader and i did as well, but when i asked the guy and told him what the skid steer weighed, his response was "Oh yeah, you'll be fine" and we never had an issue with the door. It took 2 guys to lift it up, but it was just like a normal enclosed trailer cable spring assist door. If I recall it was 2001 or 2002 when it was purchased and it was $10,900 that included having it painted navy blue to match our company trucks and the extended tongue .
'97 Ford F-350 7.3L -Boss 9'2 V-Plow
'04 Chevy 3500HD 4x4 6.6L -Blizzard 810
'06 Chevy C/K 2500 -Blizzard 860HD
'95 Chevy C/K 3500HD 7.4L-10' Meyer/Sno-Way 8' V-Box
'94 Chevy C/K 3500HD 7.4L-Blizzard 860HD/wings/8' Sno-Way V-Box
2-Chevys w/Meyer 8'
'01 Case 75XT-Heated cab/10ft plow
'06 Case 435-/10.5 Avalanche
'10 New Holland C185
94 International 4900-Curtis 6yd SS V-Box
Old 02-14-2011, 04:21 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAGE View Post
Better off buying a dump trailer and making the sides taller. Then you can use it to haul snow also. With tall sides it would stay pretty clean in there.

And, put a flat bed on the truck, haul the big snow pusher or big snow bucket on the back of the truck.
Now that is a good idea.

Build the sides taller and put a trap or a sheet of plywood across the top.
(815) 570-2349 - Fax
phil@triplethreat.comcastbiz.net

Old 02-14-2011, 07:17 AM
2000 Club Member

It probably be ALOT cheaper to just go to the car wash after every storm.

I like the dump trailer & flat bed idea...but how much money do you have to spend on a skid/modding your truck/trailer?

A deckover or reg skid trailer would be more economical from what I see your situation as....and with that, you can haul the attachments(bucket/plow or bucket/pusher) with the machine.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:54 AM

I carry my small skid steer in my wells cargo enclosed trailer. But it is quite a small skid steer (only 2k lbs). It can be done. If you were going to strictly use it for the skid steer. I would get barn doors on the rear and then use standard skid loader ramps to load and unload. I personally would feel more comfortable doing than than running it on the ramp door all the time.

As for the floor wells cargo offers an 1 1/2 thick tongue and groove floor that would be more than adequate to handle the load. You would definitely have to special order it. You'd also have to get high ceilings and make sure to order it with good tie downs.

I have all the price sheets for wells cargo from last year and I added it up and it came out to $8987.60.

That's for a 16x8.5 enclosed trailer with the following options:
10K lbs GVWR with a payload capacity of 7305 lbs (add $1730 for 13,200 lbs GVWR with a payload capacity of 9975 lbs)
Barn door rear doors (Add $655 for ramp door)
7.5 feet ceilings
4 D rings (5K lbs)
Side door (30, 36 or 48 inch)
1 1/2 inch tongue and groove flooring
3K lbs corner post stabilizer jacks
Spare Tire and Carrier

There are a ton of other options that you could add. But I think that would be the minimum and would definitely do what you want to do.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark13 View Post
Now that would be to simple wouldn't it?
Yeah, that'd be too easy. Probably what I'd do, cause my wallet usually can't support all my great ideas, but for the sake of this discussion, it's my least favorite solution!
I like the dump trailer/flatbed idea myself. But a big enclosed trailer sure would come in handy at other times too!
7.5' Meyer poly
Snow-ex 1075

'98 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
reg. cab, long bed
5.9 gas
Old 02-14-2011, 10:56 AM

Take a deckover or lowboy and make an enclosure for it. use stake pockets and put 2x4's in them and build it strong enough to take the wind from driving, but easy enough to take off for the summer months. or make a steel one. it's gotta be cheaper then buying a new trailer and it would do the same thing.
1986 GMC Brigadier Dump .. 3208 cat hydro salt spreader(Uncles Truck)
AMSOIL Independent Dealer
Old 02-14-2011, 05:17 PM

I have seen guys use 30 yard roll off to hold salt and move machines
Old 02-14-2011, 05:27 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrd1 View Post
Take a deckover or lowboy and make an enclosure for it. use stake pockets and put 2x4's in them and build it strong enough to take the wind from driving, but easy enough to take off for the summer months. or make a steel one. it's gotta be cheaper then buying a new trailer and it would do the same thing.
That's probably what I'd do. The enclosed trailer deal was just a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
I have seen guys use 30 yard roll off to hold salt and move machines
My truck might have a difficult time loading one of those in the bed to move it with the SS inside.

Chevy 2500HD
Takeuchi TL230

Quote:
Old 02-14-2011, 06:50 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with what Bigrd1 said, build some 3-4ft sides on a deckover and they should keep the road grime off.

09 GMC 2500HD EC/SB 4x4 6.0 8' fisher MM2 Patriots edition w/Pro Wings
John deere 990 w/bucket, tiller, bushog

Lawnsite member: Z-master man

/\__/\
(='.'=) This is Kitty. Copy and paste Kitty to your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Old 02-14-2011, 06:57 PM
2000 Club Member

I wouldn't think it would be wide enough legally even for a med. sized skid steer.

Proud supporter of Snow care for Troops

SIMA Member

06 F250 SD w/8.6 Fisher Extreme V
05 F350 SD Powerstroke flat bed w/8.6 Fisher Extreme V w/Fisher wings
NewHolland LX665 Turbo w/8ft BOSS skid steer plow & wings
Dresser 510C loader w/BOSS BX12
DownEaster 2yrd poly V box w/35 gallon pre treat system
300 gallon electric liquid system
300 gallon gravity liquid system
Ariens and TORO snow blowers
....and a few subs