Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-03-2010, 08:59 AM

Right wing wont extend

I was checking the plow for winter and the right wing wont extend attached to the plow or not. It just jerks but wont move, Feels like a stuck check valve if thats possible.The contacts have all been cleaned on the plug ( brake clean and clr) I switched the wire from the left swing to the right and got it to move half way out. Its 3 yrs old and I havent had any trouble with it except it pulls a lot of juice from the battery. Can any one help. Thanks
Old 11-03-2010, 09:02 AM

I had a similar problem with an older Boss V that turned out to be a low battery charge. Put it on the charger for a couple days and it works again. On mine, it's probably a dirty connection somewhere robbing some battery juice needed for the solenoid to trigger the valve. I did the same swapping wires trick with mine with similar results.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:21 AM

Last week my right wing would not extend either- just click when I hit the button. Discovered it was a bad valve.
CHEVYS,FORDS,BOSS PLOWS, BOBCATS, JOHN DEERE, DUMPTRUCKS,SNOW BLOWERS,SHOVELS
Old 11-04-2010, 09:35 AM

wires?

I played with the wires on the valve and got it to move but slower than the left, now its back to not moving. Battery is fully charged. Im open to suggestions.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:57 AM

sounds like your right extend valve may be stuck. pull the right and left extend valves out and switch them to see if the problem moves to the left wing so you know for sure if it is the valve.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:08 PM
2000 Club Member

When experiencing valve issues on a vee it's due to lack of maintenance (contamination) or someone fooling with the wing reliefs because the Hydraforce valves are trouble free and last virtually forever.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:20 PM

switched

I switched the coils and I switched the valves, no change, It wants to extend but it wont.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:43 PM
2000 Club Member

Likely an electrical not hydraulic issue then. Check the coil for magnetism while the function is pressed, probably find there isn't any. It's then time to back track through the harness with a test light checking the red wire (right wing extend) all the way to the controller plug. If you don't find it all the way to the plug then it's a controller issue.

Double and triple check there's no dirty, bent, or broken pins in the bumper connector as well.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:13 PM

I CHECKED THE WIRES THEY ALL SEEM OK, oN IMPULSE i SWITCHED LEFT AND RIGHT HYDRAULIC HOSES. The right button pushed the left one out no problem. Pushing the left button to push out the right wing did the same thing, motor runs it wants to extend but it wont. Can the hydaulic cyclinder possibley be bad?
Old 11-06-2010, 04:45 PM
2000 Club Member

Yes it's a wing or ram issue then. Look the wing over to be sure it's not damaged at the hinge (and it's well lubricated, very important) and if it all looks ok then it's a ram issue. May be able to get it free by manually pulling on the wing with a chain, winch, hook it behind a tree whatever. if it then functions normally it may only be a temporary thing as the ram may be disintegrating inside so keep a very close eye on the fluid condition (contamination) or simply replace the ram for redundancy once it's diagnosed as the cause.

Not too common to lose a ram but like anything it can happen, more so if it's equipped with Smart Locks as there's more inherent components inside to fail.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:12 PM

Tried to pull it out, it came out halfway and no further. I got a new piston for it and it works fine. Thanks everyone for your help.