PDA

View Full Version : Fisher Plow on an 04 Dakota: 7165 only? Will 7155 work?

4Driver4
02-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Greetings all,

First post here, but I've been lurking for a while. You guys helped me decide to replace my 1990 Nissan rustbucket (but still a great truck) with an 04 Dakota, a 5 speed 4.7 regular cab short bed. It's a hoot.

Before I can retire the Nissan, I need to get a plow set up on the Dakota. To give you an idea of what I need, I plow a half dozen driveways in CT for friends and neighbors. I got 10 years out of the Nissan with a 6 foot Meyers on it.

I have a Suburban (trailer puller) that has plow mounts for a 7.5 foot Fisher MM1. I'd like to put the Fisher plow on the Dakota, so I could use one plow for either vehicle and have a backup if I have issues. So I'm looking for used mount and harness for the Dakota. I see a few 7155 mounts from the earlier (96-98ish) Dakotas (same body), but none of the 7165 mounts than Fisher calls for.

Questions:

Is this set up going to work for me for the light and local plowing I do? I know the Fisher is heavy for the truck, so I will obviously remove it when I'm not pushing snow.

Will the 7155 work with alteration, or is the 7165 the only way to go?

Any suggestions for finding a 7165 and harness used in CT?

TIA!

Tom

plowguy43
02-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Will the setup work for you- yes! It'll be a perfect driveway rig. Crank your torsion bars up a few turns and your truck will hold it fine. Also put some weight against the tailgate for balast/traction.

Can't comment 100% accurately about the mounts, but my mount was from a 1997-1999 Truck and the lower "cross members" that reach back and are supposed to bolt to the crossmember on the truck that holds the front axle were about 3" too short. I had to get it fabricated by a local welder. Other than that it worked great and I lucked out finding it barely used for $100.

The older trucks were slightly different so I don't know how the mounts would work with your truck. Have you checked with a Fisher dealer to see if they could get the mounts for you?

4Driver4
02-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks, plowguy.

It sounds like you did exactly what I want to do. Sounds like you used the 7155 mount.
Like you, I found a good one used and local for $100. I think I'll roll the dice.

plowguy43
02-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Yeah I never got the part number because it was used and the guy bought an entire setup from a guy with a 99 Dakota- obviously didn't need the mount as he had an F150.

Everything bolted up- you need to remove the front bumper and mount to the frame horns, then there are too little arms/crossmembers that reach backwards towards the trucks differential. They are basically just too short. If you can weld or know someone who does, they can easily redo those arms and have them bolt up where they are supposed to.

4Driver4
02-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Cool. I'll see if this thing is still available. Thanks!

4Driver4
02-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Update: I was lucky enough to find the 7165 mount (the correct mount for the truck) locally for $150. It's sitting in the garage now. I still need the truck side wiring and controller, so I'm on the hunt for that.

If anyone wants the 7155 mount (1996-1999), it's still available, and I'd be happy to provide contact info. The mount is in western Mass.