PDA

View Full Version : plow lights blow fuses

snowotter
01-11-2010, 10:32 AM
New here, have an rt3 straight blade w/smarthitch 2 (2002?) on a 2000 siverado 2500 4x4. headlight issues on the truck, fixed with a whole new truck wiring (13 pin i think)harness , new solonoid,new relays. when the truck / plow switch is put on plow the mini 15 fuses for the headlights blow( 2 of them). I tried to clean up the ?ground inside the plow lights but I don't think the headlights are connected on the frame too well.

lights have a wire inside connecting to a metal baseplate inside(ground?), the light housing
is held on by giant rusted bolts into a hole on the light socket which allows the light to flop around. the dealer that installed the new harness/relays/solonoid for $5xx ( I took truck into fix headlight issues, I had new harness put in bc thats what dealer reccomended).
after 4 hours+ mechanic had to leave. my plow lights still weren't working.

** dealer suggested chopping off bolts and welding them on**
So now I need to fix myself, and save myself money.
thinking of getting aftermarket lights for the plow wired separately from the harnesses as a backup. thanks for any input

Quality SR
01-11-2010, 06:37 PM
I am no expert. When you hook up the plow, it the switch on Plow? or Truck? Keep it on Truck until the plow is hooked up. When your ready switch to Plow. This happened to me on Friday. Only I had the Truck set to high beams, when i switched to Plow. I blew the two 15 fuses under the hood.
Give it a shot, while your waiting for B&B. :salute:

snowotter
01-11-2010, 07:04 PM
I was already hooked up and then the dealer installed the new harness and switch (plow/truck lights) last monday. He flipped the switch to plow and the fuses blew, then back to truck no fuses blow, then back to plow and another set of fuses blew. I taped the switch to truck in the meantime so I don't blow more sets of fuses.

this is another topic, already helped by this board. the plow was tripping alot. i read to
check the shock and see if its upside down--- well yes it is . my springs look exactly like everyone suggests little daylight between the coils. I have it half freed now, waiting for the rusteater to free the bottom bolt. I hope that fixes that.

Quality SR
01-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Just thought that would have helped. Good luck.

B&B
01-11-2010, 09:44 PM
See here for the fix to your rusty light mounting bolts Boss headlamp fix (http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=78456)

1) Do the high and low beams both work fine on the truck?

2) Does it blow the fuses when flipped to the plow lamp position regardless of whether they're on either high or low beam?

3) Did the plow lamps work correctly before your dealer replaced the truck side plow harness?

snowotter
01-12-2010, 07:41 AM
going out to check your list B&B

snowotter
01-12-2010, 08:12 PM
OK I am moving slow today, pressed into family duties elsewhere.
1) high and low work fine on the truck
2)low beam (plow) blew my fuses --- my spares are in and the extra ones I bought disappeared
will have to buy more tomorrow auto store is closed , then I can check plow high beams.
3) plow lamps did not work correctly before I went to the dealer.

I did read (thanks) and buy the screws for headlight mount overhaul-- I am thinking cleaning up the grounds to the plow lights can only help. I think the plow lights are grounded through those rusty floppy bolts?
I couldn't find half inch plow bolts however. maybe I can use smaller flathead machine screws with large washers?

the shock bolts are proving very stubborn, and now I want to overhaul all the hardware thats rusting
so I bought a grinder and cutoff blades to strip off the rusting bolts. rusteater and heat didn't free the loose nut. I am working outside in the cold so maybe it makes nuts stickyer.

B&B
01-12-2010, 08:56 PM
The ground wire inside the light housings are just auxiliary grounds. The lamps each still have a common ground through the wiring harness to each light. Which one is ground (common) depends on how the vehicle option connector is orientated on the truck side and what truck the plow is mounted on. And its a possibility that is where your issue may lie.

Once you get fuses and have a chance to take a look check the option connector and let me know which way its orientated. It's a rubber two terminal connector inline in the main plow harness, should find it near the relay bank. It will have a red/yellow and a white//yellow and it can be reversed to provide correct common wire orientation for the plow lamps. If it's reversed the wrong way for your truck it can cause lighting issues, such as blown fuses for example.

snowotter
01-12-2010, 09:34 PM
I did notice before the plow lights went I saw sparking out of the floppy mount area. If they are (the mounts) auxiliarry grounds then I should concentrate on finding the real grounds. On to finding the option connector in the AM when I can see.

B&B
01-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Just for clarification later which style of plow lights are on it? The older square style or the 4 bulb composite Smart Lights?

Also, here's a pic of the option connector to make your search a little easier....

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/berpsu/Plug003m.jpg

snowotter
01-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Ok I checked the high and low beams on the plow and both blow fuses. when it blows the fuse the truck high beam indicator comes on and stays on inside the truck and no headlights work until I replace the 15 amp set once again.

the option connector is oriented red /yellow to red yellow, white yelow to white yellow.
I have the rounded R2D2 lights ( looks like alaska boss' lights in the HID conversion he did) , my truck is the newer 2000 silverado 2500 with the 6.0 l engine, newer body
style from that year , extended cab. I dont think it had plow prep to start with, but it now has 2 batts

it has an AUX light switch( original equipment) with splicing into it-- I disconnected that before the new harness was put in as it looked like a fire hazard . the trucks headlights have a "darkness" switch , so the truck headlights come on in the dark or on foggy days automatically.

Deckscapes
01-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Check your headlight adapter connections for proper orientation as the connectors can easily be reversed. Also check your Red/White wire at the battery terminals, I believe for your vehicle it should be connected to the negative terminal. Your option connector has correct orientation, so I am betting the trouble is in your headlight adapter connections.

B&B
01-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Ok I checked the high and low beams on the plow and both blow fuses. when it blows the fuse the truck high beam indicator comes on and stays on inside the truck and no headlights work until I replace the 15 amp set once again.

the option connector is oriented red /yellow to red yellow, white yelow to white yellow.
There's at least a part of your problem right there. Reverse the connector and re-try.

snowotter
01-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Ok I'll switch the option connector, I am now stocked up with 2 boxes of fuses
thanks for all the help.

snowotter
01-14-2010, 09:37 AM
I will check the color of the wires on the battery today, and flip the option connector to see if that makes a difference. Flipping the option connector changes which wire is the ground, right?, so I can't test the wires on the plow headlights for ground until I know whats what.

I bought a circuit tester kit, never used one before, but I watched the mechanic test the fuses without removing them. I put the alligator clip on the battery and the probe on whatever I'm testing (right?)
if I am testing a ground I put the clip on the positive or red battery terminal (?), and I put the clip on a black, negative or a clean "frame ground" to test a power connection (???).

B&B
01-14-2010, 04:31 PM
I will check the color of the wires on the battery today, and flip the option connector to see if that makes a difference. Flipping the option connector changes which wire is the ground, right?, so I can't test the wires on the plow headlights for ground until I know whats what. Flipping the connector changes which wire becomes the common wire. It's isn't ground on your truck, it's power. Because yours is a positive common lighting system which is the odd one. And hence the option connector needs to reflect that. And by doing so your white/yellow now becomes your positive common (hot) and your red/yellow and blue/yellow are now your trigger wires....which are ground; thus making it basically backward from a "normal" negative common lighting system. However you can still do any testing with a test light, you simply have to know which should show as hot and which should show as ground.

For example, for your situation if you were testing at the 13 pin plug, your white/yellow in pin #9 would show power, your blue/yellow in pin # 7 would show as ground with the hi beams on and your red/yellow in pin # 8 should show ground with the lows on.

I bought a circuit tester kit, never used one before, but I watched the mechanic test the fuses without removing them. I put the alligator clip on the battery and the probe on whatever I'm testing (right?)
if I am testing a ground I put the clip on the positive or red battery terminal (?), and I put the clip on a black, negative or a clean "frame ground" to test a power connection (???).You are correct and very observant. :salute:

snowotter
01-14-2010, 04:49 PM
I flipped the option connector no blown fuses but
truck lights work normally, plow lights stay on high no matter what and the high beam indicator stays on when switched to Plow. Plow lights will Not go off even with the key off or out.

I took out the single red /yellow wire and left in the other one
truck lights normal,on/off high/low when on truck setting
plow on /off in high only , high beam light stuck on, when switched to plow the truck lights are off no matter what I tried .
red/white wire hooked up to positive battery box connected to positive battery wire.
this was during the day so no auto light sensing should affect things.

B&B
01-14-2010, 05:08 PM
You have a red/white wire? Is this a 5 relay pack harness? If so, leave the red/white disconnected for now. It requires it's own modifications to work correctly on your year of truck and will only complicate matters right now. It's only for the additional dual burn option anyway.

snowotter
01-14-2010, 06:01 PM
yes its a five pack relay just installed. If it matters I kept the old harness it might have been a 4 pack
before , I kept it in case I needed spares of something.

so I should disconnect the red/ white to the postive terminal?

will it hurt anything if I just leave the red/yellow wire disconnected?

B&B
01-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Yes disconnect the red/white. I'll explain how to get the extra dual burn relay to work later once we're sure the lighting is all working correctly first.

You disconnected the red/yellow where?

snowotter
01-14-2010, 10:15 PM
at the option connector I unplugged the single wire ( red /yellow) and left the white /yellow still plugged into the red/yellow side of the two attached wire side of the option connector.
**this resulted in having truck lights hi/low, and hi only plow lights **

"I took out the single red /yellow wire and left in the other one
truck lights normal,on/off high/low when on truck setting
plow on /off in high only , high beam light stuck on, when switched to plow the truck lights are off no matter what I tried .
red/white wire hooked up to positive battery box connected to positive battery wire.
this was during the day so no auto light sensing should affect things."

B&B
01-14-2010, 10:19 PM
You only had hi beams on the plow because you had that red/yellow wire disconnected, it's the high beam lead out to the plow lamps.

Plug it back in to the option connector. :salute:

snowotter
01-14-2010, 10:42 PM
when both wires were plugged into the option I couldn't get the plow lights off at all even with the truck shut off. so as an experiment I unplugged the one wire and now at least the plow lights shut off

B&B
01-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Thats because you still had the red/white on the positive battery terminal. Correct?

snowotter
01-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Ok I will disconnect the red/white wire and plug all the wires at the option connector today and see what happens.
yesterday with all the wires connected and the option connector wire flipped:( red/yell to white /yellow, and vice versa
the plow lo beams wouldn't come on and the plow high beams wouldn't shut off at all.

doo-man
01-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Well B&B I have one for ya along the same lines !

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 same set-up similar problem except I had the orientation wires correct and my red/wht to ground as it states to do.

Here's my problem when I turn the Plow headlights on high they also stay on when I shut the lights or truck off, I hear a relay making a buzzing or humm that leads me to believe its staying energized when it should return to norm?

What would be the issues here??

Thanks

doo-man
01-15-2010, 02:31 PM
I just noticed it doesnt matter if they are on high/low they stay on when I turn the truck light switch off they stay on unless I use the truck/plow light switch to cycle them off or turn the truck off.

B&B
01-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Are you running the 5 relay harness on your Dodge also Doo-man? If so they take a wiring mod at the relays in addition to the correct wire placement at the battery that you're already aware of.

doo-man
01-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Yup 5 relay pack here also! Didn't know about any relay mods!

B&B
01-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Yup 5 relay pack here also! Didn't know about any relay mods!Pretty simple then. Daner already explained the easy details in this thread here (http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=89247&highlight=dual+burn) a while back. It applies to all 99-02 GM and Dodges with the positive common headlamp systems.

snowotter
01-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Sorry for any confusion yesterday, I was a bit sleep deprived and the computer was doing its own thing.

My report for today:

the vehicle option connector is flipped red/yell to w/y, and w/y to r/y, ALL sides plugged in.

I disconnected the red/white wire that was connected to the Positive side of the battery

I also noticed a small red wire connected to the positive side of the battery, hmmm.

switch on Truck: truck lights Hi and low normal, no plow headlights come on.

switch on Plow: plow lights with silver cover, outer lights( I was assuming this was Hi?) comes on and hi beam indicator on dash is on, not able to switch plow lights to anything else and
No truck lights come on at all. the other beams on the plow will not come on.

Since it looks like the plow lights are working I am going to overhaul the rusty floppy mounts
I was able to find 1/2" plow bolts today and nylon lock nuts, $4.52 for the set of 4.
wonder if I needed some rubber washers to hold things steady.

At the Bolt store there was a municipal mechanic he told me he repairs the city's plows,
I showed him my plow's rusty bolts and he said they use "never seize" to get things back off later
this store was called Youngstown Bolt , they had pretty much everything to replace the bolts etc on the plow. Giant eyebolts for the springs. pins , screws, bushings ...a great shop.

B&B
01-16-2010, 12:52 AM
I also noticed a small red wire connected to the positive side of the battery, hmmm.

Thats the battery feed wire to the entire plow harness, leave it where it is. Nothing will work without it so don't get happy hands and disconnect it. :D

All good there but does the high bean indicator only illuminate when the high's are actually on like it should? It's not on when the lows are on correct?

switch on Plow: plow lights with silver cover, outer lights( I was assuming this was Hi?) comes on and hi beam indicator on dash is on, not able to switch plow lights to anything else and

The outboard plow lamps are the lows, not the highs so there's a problem there.

You're gaining ground but there's still an issue somewhere as I mentioned. Did you remove the 5th relay from it's socket as I mentioned before? If not, be sure to do so until we get this narrowed down.

These are not a tough system to troubleshoot but it can be a little tough over the net. Just takes some time, questions, and answers.

snowotter
01-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by snowotter

Thats the battery feed wire to the entire plow harness, leave it where it is. Nothing will work without it so don't get happy hands and disconnect it.
OK

All good there but does the high bean indicator only illuminate when the high's are actually on like it should? It's not on when the lows are on correct?

yes, the trucks high beam indicator Only comes on when on high

The outboard plow lamps are the lows, not the highs so there's a problem there.

Oh I see I thought they were the Hi beams.

I removed the red/white wire from the battery connection, you want me to remove the relay instead

B&B
01-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Yes in addition to disconnecting the red/white also pull the 5th relay from its socket.

snowotter
01-16-2010, 08:57 PM
I disconnected the 5th relay, everything works the same as yesterday.

strange wiring inside the one headlight I was repairing today.
Will take picture, camera charging up.

New plow bolts I put it are still not holding too well maybe too much rust on the
mounting plates.
rethinking the whole mounting system now.

inside the headlight there was one spliced wire from one headlight to the ground plate,
and then a brown wire coming from the grommet was plugged in the the same plate.

B&B
01-17-2010, 03:52 AM
If there's some wire hacking going on inside the light housings then that will definitely need addressed before the system can be expected to work correctly on your truck. So that needs sorted out first. Pics or a good explanation would help. However there may also be an issue somewhere else in the plow side harness to explain why someone was in the light housings modifying the wiring so keep that in mind. Might have a can of worms going on here. :nod:

snowotter
01-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Ok I will open up both headlights today, and record all the wires and any more splicing issues.

the truck had a few splice/hacks in it, why they would hack into the trucks switches on a perfectly good Chevy:crying: THats why I put in a total new install truckside.

Now I wish I had done the install myself as I would have become more familiar from the start. since I have to fix it anyway( with the help from this board:)).

snowotter
01-19-2010, 10:20 PM
I worked on cutting rusty bolts and replacing them today. having trouble getting the shock back in place or should I say right side up, it was installed upside down. Not sure how much of a difference this will make for the tripping issues.

The camera died I guess, so I might just have to look at everything and take good notes on the light wiring and it seems like I should look at the various wires.adaptor issues with the truck headlight wiring/plugs.