PDA

View Full Version : Whats safe to melt ice on wood deck ?

ondagawood
01-06-2010, 07:53 AM
I have a customer who has asked me "what can I use on my pressure treated deck to melt ice that won't harm the wood ? "

I said I don't know, anybody here know of anything ?

Thx,
Scott

Matson Snow
01-06-2010, 08:06 AM
I have a customer who has asked me "what can I use on my pressure treated deck to melt ice that won't harm the wood ? "

I said I don't know, anybody here know of anything ?

Thx,
Scott

Propane Torch....:laughing:

Rc2505
01-06-2010, 10:11 AM
I always use just rock salt on a treated wood deck. On the composite decks, I use calcium though.

ajslands
01-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Propane Torch....:laughing:

asedyline torch would work better :laughing: but i just put CaCl down and that gets the job done,

Longae29
01-06-2010, 10:31 AM
I had a similiar question a couple months back, and what i did was go to the top of the screen, found this thing called "search" typed in wood deck, and voila! posts came up, it was really neat, because there were actually answers already there, i was able to then reincarnate an old thread and add to it, it worked really awesome, hope this helps!!!

ondagawood
01-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Ok ok, I know about the search option, I just decided to try this way.

(building up my posts I guess)

Thanks for the replies, when I talk to her next I'll tell her rock salt will work fine.

Thanks again

WingPlow
01-06-2010, 12:30 PM
I had a similiar question a couple months back, and what i did was go to the top of the screen, found this thing called "search" typed in wood deck, and voila! posts came up, it was really neat, because there were actually answers already there, i was able to then reincarnate an old thread and add to it, it worked really awesome, hope this helps!!!

if everyone who had a question did that, this place would get mighty boring
really quickly dont ya think ??...oh wait let me search for the answer to that

if you dont wanna answer the OP's question then move on, or if you dont know the answer move on...

leaving smartass posts only goes to reinforce peoples opinions of this site and its user's

Runner
01-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Don't use rock salt. It can cause deterioration of the deck, even if it is treated lumber and sealed< it causes surface deterioration. I recommend hot water. You don't have to boil it, but get it hot. Whatever amount necessary can then be applied.

Longae29
01-06-2010, 01:45 PM
if everyone who had a question did that, this place would get mighty boring
really quickly dont ya think ??...oh wait let me search for the answer to that

if you dont wanna answer the OP's question then move on, or if you dont know the answer move on...

leaving smartass posts only goes to reinforce peoples opinions of this site and its user's

get boring? i think this was a forum to learn and share knowledge, question has been asked and answered. your post is completely worthless.

JDiepstra
01-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Don't use rock salt. It can cause deterioration of the deck, even if it is treated lumber and sealed< it causes surface deterioration. I recommend hot water. You don't have to boil it, but get it hot. Whatever amount necessary can then be applied.

I'm not trying to be dumb here but wouldn't the water refreeze?

I have been throwing "Road Runner" ice melt on a "deck" for three seasons and it's doing fine.

Rc2505
01-06-2010, 02:39 PM
I have just used rock salt on my deck. This is the 10th season and I am not getting any rot from the salt at all. I pressure wash the deck once a year, in the spring and it looks like brand new wood each time I do it. Putting hot water on the deck would be great if it was 50 degrees and was going to completly dry before it got cold again, but putting it on in below freezeing weather will just create ice again, however it will only be a thin layer, lol.

Danscapes
01-13-2010, 08:14 PM
I would stay away from calcium, I have seen what it does to leather boots once dry. I can only imagine what it do to a wood deck.

ajslands
01-13-2010, 08:19 PM

your just joshing me right? i hope you are, :laughing: where is anyone gonna get hot water from? lol , and wouldent that refreeze.

vamootsman
01-13-2010, 09:28 PM
get boring? i think this was a forum to learn and share knowledge, question has been asked and answered. your post is completely worthless.

Wow! If that post was completely worthless, then you should be paying to put your posts on this site for wasting my time having to scroll past them. Getting things talked about again, and again and again, is one of the best of the old school ways of learning. I didn't care about deicing a deck, but now I know how, and I'm thankful. And I didn't have to do a search and weed through a$$nine comments. Oh wait, scratch that last sentence.