PDA

View Full Version : getting ice off sidewalks

elitelandscape
02-06-2003, 05:14 PM
whats the best way to get ice off a sidewalk thats about anywheres from 2 inches to 4 inches. any suggestions on doing this quickly. like some kind of trick besides using ice picks.

please help

p.s its a 1/4 mile long :)

wyldman
02-06-2003, 05:25 PM
That's a lot of sidewalk to get ice up from.

You need to break the bond from the sidewalk,so if you can get some de-icer underneath it,and give it some time it will come up easier.I have poked holes in the ice and poured stuff in the hole,and then peel it up a while later.Still a lot of work.

I wonder if you could melt it partially with one of those big roofers torches ?

fordman
02-06-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by wyldman
I wonder if you could melt it partially with one of those big roofers torches ?
I'm sure it would work, but it would look pretty funny to see someone actually try it.

chris k
02-10-2003, 09:16 PM
Magic Salt!!!!!!!!!

elitelandscape
02-10-2003, 10:51 PM
i'm taking the torch to them tomorrow. haha should be interesting i was talking to another contractor he said he did it once and it worked wonders so we'll see.
A 1/4 mile of sidewalks is a long ways to do it. I got torches that hook to a barbecue tank they pump out 3700 btu so that should be enough to melt the ice :D

cheers

Mick
02-11-2003, 03:48 AM
Agreed with the Magic Salt.

elitelandscape
02-11-2003, 07:20 AM
they said i'm not aloud to use any salt on the walks only calcium choloride. I have never seen magic salt before in my life i wonder if we can get here in canada?

fordman
02-11-2003, 08:39 AM
You should be able to get magic salt in Canada seeing as it's made in Ontario. Here (http://www.innovativecompany.com/Products/MagicSalt.htm) is a link to their website.

fireball
02-11-2003, 10:59 AM
I am suprised that you guys north of the border are having such a hard time with ice. Here's what you do. Take a lawn thatcher with slicing blades on it. Set the depth of the blades so that it just touches the concrete. Drive over the sidewalk, it will cut grooves in the ice, apply straight urea 46-0-0 @ 7.00 per bag, one bag per 500 ft, wait 1/2 hour, run the machine back over sidewalk, shovel or brush off whats left, collect money after pointing out to the customer that this wouldn't have happened if they had signed up to a yearly contract with you. The Lesco slicer seeder does this perfectly since it has a hopper for applying the urea(use setting 8). Use the calcium cloride if the customer won't let you use the urea. Use the magic salt if the temperature is below 15 degrees(the magnessium cloride works to minus 20)but is a bit more pricer than urea. Propane ain't cheap.

By the way, Thanks. Canada has agreed to Help George Bush in his fight with Iraq. They will send 2 aircraft carriers, 12,000 men, and squadron of jet fighters. Unfortunately, with the balance of trade, this works out to one canoe, 2 mounties, and half a dozen flying squirels.

elitelandscape
02-11-2003, 01:37 PM
our flying squirrels are pretty deadly :drinkup:

wyldman
02-11-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by elitelandscape
i'm taking the torch to them tomorrow. haha should be interesting i was talking to another contractor he said he did it once and it worked wonders so we'll see.
A 1/4 mile of sidewalks is a long ways to do it. I got torches that hook to a barbecue tank they pump out 3700 btu so that should be enough to melt the ice :D

cheers

3700 btu will take you a pretty long time to melt all that ice.Typo maybe ?

Most of the unit I have seen are 200,000 to 350,000 BTU.

Joey D
02-11-2003, 09:33 PM
I have used a propane torch for some ice before. It worked best by heating the concrete at the edge of the ice. Then lifting the ice with a heavy shovel. Once the bond is broken it will go quick, unless your doing a 1/4 mile.
:D

dan deutekom
02-12-2003, 07:44 AM
And our Mounties always get their man:D

Plow Grrl
02-12-2003, 12:39 PM
Duddly DoRight?

snowfighterG
02-20-2003, 03:59 PM
The trick is not to let ice build up in the first place which means frequency,frequency,frequency! Make sure your chemical is down each snow event even if it's under the snow that's falling you won't have any problem getting off at the end of the event. We use pottasium chloride here on 2 miles of sidewalks and the shovel teams always get bare concrete! The goal get concrete every time. After 74 snow events we never have an ice build up problem.

[QUOTE] Big yellow things are more powerful than snow!

chadse1
02-21-2003, 05:17 PM
yes, if you get your chemical down early even if it goes away you still have residual left behind.

Tillerman1664
03-01-2003, 10:21 PM
We use tile scrapers... we got them at Home Depot or Lowes. they have real thin replaceable metal blades that are approximately 10-12 inches wide. They are used for demolition on tile floors; it pops the tiles right up. It works great on the ice. Same principal; the metal is real thin, yet heavy duty. Sometime on stubborn ice, we do have to pre-treat a little with Ice melt.