PDA

View Full Version : Fisher WIre Harness Installation Problem

justin621
05-15-2009, 12:22 PM
I installed a used minute mount 1 (2 plug) wire harness to my 95 dodge ram and followed the mechanics guide from fisher.com. The problem is that my solenoid joy stick light doesnt turn on. in the mechanics guide, it shows second blk/org wire running from neg. terminal on battery to the solenoid which is screwed on top of the org/blk wire from the harness. so i did that and the controller turns on, but my truck headlights do not work. i disconnect the second wire, and i am back to the controller not lighting up then my headlights work. what could i be doing wrong? i checked the fuse and it was good. i do not have the plow yet, i am doing this so when i buy one, i can just hook it up.

B&B
05-15-2009, 04:13 PM
The joystick wont power up until the plow is actually connected to the truck....thats how they work since the joystick gets its final ground through the plow side wiring harness, powering up the joystick in the process.

justin621
05-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks for your response. Thats a relief! I have been cursing the truck thinking there was a bad ground somewhere. Thanks again B&B.

BigDave12768
05-16-2009, 02:18 AM
Find someone with a Fisher plow and pull up to it to check if everything works. That way when you do find a plow you wont have to load it in back to get it home.

justin621
05-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Thats a good idea. I will post a thread on here regarding that. Thanks.

B&B
05-16-2009, 04:39 PM
You can also simply jump the pins in the grill connector to check the controller. :salute:

Pinout diagram will show you which ones.

justin621
05-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks. I never thought of that. I will try that tomorrow. Just have to pull the diagram. Thanks again.

justin621
05-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Sorry for the delay since i got busy with work and kept putting off the wire harness problem. i had trouble jumping the pin since i couldnt find the right wire in the harness and i have a diagram which isnt helping locate the wire in the harness. I found a guy that has a two plug harness on his chevy and he told me his light on the controller is always on even when the plow is off. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong? I replaced the solenoid and the plow tech (the second guy) told me the light should always be on only on two plug setups. he said 3 plugs require the plow to be connected for the controller to light up. I replaced the solenoid and still have the same problem. The tech is $90/hr so that is my last resort if i cant fix it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Western1
05-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Try hooking it up the way your headlights don't work and see if the plow does work. You could be chasing two problems at once? You need to eliminate some things. Most harnesses require that ground wire to be run to the battery.

Western1
05-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Do you have the correct headlight harness for the Ram? Does it have the blue or orange wire in the middle of the headlight connector?

justin621
05-27-2009, 11:14 PM
thanks for responding. i dont have the plow yet since i wanted to get everything installed first so its easy to pick it up. anyways, i might just have to buy a blade somewhere and worry about the problem later if any occurs.

justin621
06-01-2009, 05:14 PM
The orange wire is in the middle of the plugs on the headlamp wires.

Western1
06-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Yes that should be the right one for the Ram.