PDA

View Full Version : Smartlight mount bolt just spins with nut.

cjasonbr
12-03-2008, 02:06 PM
One of my bolts was rusted on pretty good. I went to unscrew it and it first it wouldn't budge, then it's like i broke something inside and now the bolt just spins with the nut.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance B&B!!!

Indy
12-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Pinch the top of the bolt with long nose vise grips

Put some penetrating oil on it if you want or heat the nut with a torch if you have it

3/4" socket and a impact if you have it and your in business.

or

you can crush the spacer against the bolt with vise grips and break the nut lose when you put it back together, just make the spacer round again.

HOpe that helps.

cjasonbr
12-03-2008, 02:41 PM
The top of the bolt is in the light assembly. It's an HID smart-light, if that makes a difference.

I don;t think this is just a case of a stuck bolt. I feel like i've broken off something inside the assembly that's supposed to hold the bolt so the nut will spin.

B&B
12-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Hate to have to tell you, but if the bolt spun in the housing then it stripped the slot that holds the bolt head. Very common on any plow light with rusty mounting bolts.

If you disassemble the light and drill the rivets out of the mounting plate it is fixable though. Or you can purchase just the light housing as an individual component as well as I know your not going to want to buy a complete HID light assembly. payup

You didn't say which side but the p/n for just the housings are:

MSC04737 (driver)
MSC04738 ( passenger)

Normal cost is around $50-$60 or so....far cheaper than an entire light assembly.

wild bill
12-04-2008, 07:27 AM
you might use a nut splitter ,i have used one several times and it will pop the nut off . with out damaging the stud .:salute:

rocknrollrednec
12-04-2008, 10:31 AM
If you're any good with an oxy/acetalyne torch, you can blow the nut off without touching the stud. I usually remove two opposing sides of the nut, then pop the rest off with a small hammer and chisel. quick'n'easy. then you can throw it on a bench to repair the light itself.
clean the threads with a die, brush on some nickle anti-seize, and use a new nut.

cjasonbr
12-04-2008, 03:36 PM
OK, here's an update.

I followed B&B's advice and bought a new housing from my local dealer for $59. I also bought a new hardware kit which cost $13. I got it home and used a whizzer wheel (i love that thing!!) to slice the nut. Once i got through the nut a little bit it unscrewed easily.

Upon comparison the new housing i bought is obviously an updated part.The mounting hardware that's riveted to the bottom of the new one is much more solid.

Thank you for your help guys! Thanks AGAIN B&B.

Edit: Perhaps the new design of the housing will keep my light (singular ugh!) in place. Only time will tell....
Edit2: The new design seems to limit the vertical movement. Whereas the old light had the ability to point down at the ground or up at the sky, it seems like much of the useless play (straight up, straight down) is removed.

3bladz
12-04-2008, 05:38 PM
I saw the new ones look like they clamp around the tube frame of the light bar. Really the the only problems I have had repeatedly is the stupid junk lights. My are the <not>smart lights too.

cjasonbr
12-04-2008, 05:52 PM
I didn't get the new smartlight 2's.

i have the old version smartlights too. I replaced my smartlight housing, with a replacement smart-light housing, which is an updated version.

B&B
12-04-2008, 10:10 PM
OK, The new design seems to limit the vertical movement. Whereas the old light had the ability to point down at the ground or up at the sky, it seems like much of the useless play (straight up, straight down) is removed.Yes I've never been a fan of the lack of vertical adjustment in them either. They usually don't stay right where you need on the vertical as you tighten them down anyway...

So, what I do is set the horizontal where I want it, then set the vertical as low as I can get it to stay when tighten the mounting hardware...and then loosen the entire light bar and tip the light bar and lights as an assembly. Works well very well and if it needs more adjustment than the light bar/lift tower holes will allow simply slot the holes a little.

Also prevents you from stripping the mounting studs in the lights on a plow thats several seasons old with rusty threads. Since your not loosening the lights themselves in order to adjust them vertically.