PDA

View Full Version : sno-way remote control

gump
02-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Anyone have the remote for the sno-way? We have 2 snoways with the remotes, both are brand new plows. The one has been back to the dealer twice for the brain box going bad. This is not good when your out plowing and you have to call it a night and loose out on money because your controls quit working. The question I have is does anyone have similar problem's? also the remote seems to hesitate on both of the plow's, sometimes I have to stop just to give it time to respond, very frustrating. Any idea's.

Thank's "Gump"

lawn king
02-07-2008, 08:22 PM
I always keep a spare remote for insurance. Fresh batterys make a huge difference in plow response time. make sure the contacts inside the remote are clean and pull the pump cover off to inspect the receiver itself, you could have some leaves or paper,trash etc obstructing the receiving unit. If these tips dont resolve the problems talk to basher.

RYDER
02-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Sometimes I have to hold the remote above the dash board before the plow will respond.

mnormington
02-07-2008, 08:32 PM
I was having some problems where the remote would just freeze so I couldn't do anything with the plow. I found that this was happening because the batteries are not totally secure in the battery box and they would momentarily lose contact if jostled. I would then have to remove the batteries and put them back in to reset the remote.

The first time this happened where I lost control was right in the middle of the street with down pressure activated. I couldn't move basically. Well, I did a lot of cussing cuz i didn't even have a screwdriver handy. Had to disconnect the power cable from the plow to get it to float so I could get out of the street and figure out how to deal with it.

I fixed this problem by putting some foam tape on the battery cover to keep the batteries from moving around in there. I have had exactly zero problems with the remote since.

MOWBIZZ
02-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Anyone have the remote for the sno-way? We have 2 snoways with the remotes, both are brand new plows. The one has been back to the dealer twice for the brain box going bad. This is not good when your out plowing and you have to call it a night and loose out on money because your controls quit working. The question I have is does anyone have similar problem's? also the remote seems to hesitate on both of the plow's, sometimes I have to stop just to give it time to respond, very frustrating. Any idea's.

Thank's "Gump"

No problems so far...SnoWay 29 series...plowed about 100 driveways so far and changed the batteries once...probably change them before next plowing...:rolleyes:

lawn king
02-07-2008, 08:48 PM
My remotes have been very reliable. Unfortunatley i left one on the front bumper of my cabover one day. That unit is somewhere along route 123 :realmad:

gump
02-07-2008, 09:13 PM
The plows are brand new so everything is clean. I like the remote option, but its definitly slower than the hard wired. The biggest issue is that one of the plow's brain boxx has fried the last two snowfalls for no apparent reason. The plow is only a month old, has been to the dealer twice for this problem and they don't seem to have a reason for the brain boxx dying. Has anyone had a problem with the brain box on the sno-way? The dealer tested everything and said everything is good, so what would cause this on a brand new plow? I mean I could see maybe the rare chance of it happening once, but twice! Just doesn't seem right . If it happens again we are done with sno-way. Sad because I heard good thing's about them, but this isn't going to work down time = money loss.

basher
02-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Very strange, do not see this happen. Check the grounds check to see if the pins in the receiver plug and plow harness plug are properly seated.

toby4492
02-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Could also be a bad coil somewhere. Have your dealer check those as well.

Ctll
02-08-2008, 02:08 AM
I have seen two different plows act up the way yours are and the problem was found to be the long bolt that holds the brain box in it slots was to getting tightened too tight. one of them had the box to hot to touch and all we did was loosen the bolt and let it cool down. then started working again and have had no more problems with it in the two years since. The first one had to be replaced and the bolt was left almost loose and it has also never had a problem since. we found that just tight enough to touch th box is tight enough no more. Hope that helps.

gump
02-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Was the bolt being to tight crack the case? What caused it to overheat? Another question is when we run in the same vacinity, the remotes run both plow's. The dealer said the remotes should be indipendent to the plow you are running, but I can run his plow and he can run mine kinda crazy I think. any suggjestions.

Thank's "Gump"

dmontgomery
02-08-2008, 11:23 AM
I have had a few problems with the movement "studdering" so to speak......I have not checked anything out yet.......

basher
02-08-2008, 12:02 PM
The dealer said the remotes should be indipendent to the plow you are running, but I can run his plow and he can run mine kinda crazy I think. any suggjestions.

Thank's "Gump"

Take those two plows to a dealer, talk to snoway, they should help with that problem. It is a serious issue a blade dropping at the wrong time can be deadly

toby4492
02-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Take those two plows to a dealer, talk to snoway, they should help with that problem. It is a serious issue a blade dropping at the wrong time can be deadly

I would agree this needs to be addressed ASAP.

Take the plows back to the dealer and make sure that when they are coding your plow, your buddies plow is off. It should take them 5 minutes to get this corrected for you. Right now they are transmitting at the same frequency which as basher stated is not a good thing.

dmontgomery
02-08-2008, 12:23 PM
OK my fluid was low.............now I just have to wait for my truck to get home and I can test it out......

vwovw
02-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Sometimes I have to hold the remote above the dash board before the plow will respond.
x2........

nbenallo33
02-08-2008, 01:26 PM
what about radio towers they seem to interfere with the wireless remotes but i never see them go bad due to the radio towers

basher
02-08-2008, 05:43 PM
. The biggest issue is that one of the plow's brain boxx has fried the last two snowfalls for no apparent reason. . Has anyone had a problem with the brain box on the sno-way? The dealer tested everything and said everything is good, so what would cause this on a brand new plow?.

What color are the coils on your pump? Red, Black, Blue, or mixed? you could have a bad coil frying a switch in the control. Is it the same single function failing or a complete failure? If you have a mix of Black and Blue coils get your dealer to replace all your black coils with blue ones. They will cover it under warranty, have him call Tech if there's any questions.

Pearcelawn
02-08-2008, 07:22 PM
what about radio towers they seem to interfere with the wireless remotes but i never see them go bad due to the radio towers

Wi-Fi does it for sure. I am running a wired controller now cause of that.

gump
02-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Not sure about the wire colors, ill have to check. Well not complete faliure, the one night the plow malfuctioned all night, first it would work then it wouldn't. Just so happend we ran into a guy who deals in snoway, took it to his shop and he said he thinks it's the brain boxx , wich he said is very uncommon. Well took it to the dealer and it was the brain boxx, he also said he had never heard of this problem, it was a first for him. Well the very next snow fall (last wedsday) the plow would not lift, so we lifted it up manualy and put the bracket deal that comes with it. Took back to dealer and he was dumb founded, they tested the whole work's say everthing is good and has no idea what is causing it because everthing test out fine. The plow on my truck work's great except for the slower response wich may just be the fact that its wireless, I can live with that, but not having to take the other one back to the dealer everytime we use it,espeacally with half a night left of plowing . Don't get me wrong I love the sno-way design but there has to be an answer other than, well just bring it back in again.

Thank's "Gump"

basher
02-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Not the wires the coils. The things on the valves in the pump with two wires attached and a nut on top. Under the pump cover. If you have all black you could have coils overheating and failing in the open position drawing to much amp. burning out the switches in the receiver module.

Don't wait take the unit back and get it checked before it snows and you have a problem again.

gump
02-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Why should I have this problem on a brand new plow?

basher
02-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Why should I have this problem on a brand new plow?

Bad things happen to good people? Is that a trick question?

This is a rough business. i wonder if they test equipment for the length of time or we continuously use plows brutally. Hard for any company to have a guy run a unit for 36 or 46 hours none stop. That leads to some discoveries in the field, SW is great about solve these type issues, get to your deal and get in contact with Tech. They'll get you straighted out.

Electronics tend to fail immediately or run forever. The blue coils dissipate heat better then the black coils, I would guess there is a resistance issue of some type causing the coils to overheat causing failure. they are failing to open and drawing too much power for the switches. This is a very limited problem and may not be your's but you fit the profile. Have your dealer check your unit so the situation can get corrected before you need it.

gump
02-09-2008, 12:08 AM
No not a trick question. My point is we have two plows, we use both to plow city streets, mine has had no problems but the other one fried two brain boxes in the last two snow falls, so I guess there is one of two problems, either the plow is a dudd from the factory or the dealer/installer is icompetent. they ran through the thing for two hours this last time and found no reason for failure.

basher
02-09-2008, 05:39 AM
Read my post below. Take it to the dealer and have him check the coils.

mnormington
02-09-2008, 07:04 AM
Wi-Fi does it for sure. I am running a wired controller now cause of that.

I disagree. I run mine around WIFI all the time. Never had an issue. Matter of fact, i can stand right next to my wireless router and operate my plow's hydraulics from my living room.

Pearcelawn
02-09-2008, 08:50 AM
I disagree. I run mine around WIFI all the time. Never had an issue. Matter of fact, i can stand right next to my wireless router and operate my plow's hydraulics from my living room.

Disagree all you want. I have already been there done that. I had a bar next to a pizza joint I plow install Wi-Fi and it took almost 3 weeks to figure out why my plow would hit the pavement and not come back up while I was working there. The owner of the pizza joint (who I know personally so he was helping and very understanding about my service ) and the bar finally got together with me and when he unplugged his Wi Fi set up the plow worked like a champ. Without me touching the controller he would plug back in and down went the plow and then no response from the controller.

I worked with Tom, Basher and Steve at Sno Way to get it resolved. They did and the rest is history. It works great and not one issue before or since.

By the way, before the Wi-Fi it worked great in that lot for the whole previous season.

The Wi-Fi at your home may be less powerful or on a different frequency so it doesn't interfere but it does happen when the conditions are right.

mnormington
02-09-2008, 09:09 AM
That's a great story. I am very curious as to what they did to resolve your problem so that the WIFI didn't interfere with your plow control anymore. My plow is only 3 or 4 months old, so maybe whatever they did to fix yours was updated in mine? I see you have the joystick. Is that how they resolved your problem?

Maybe a related story:

My old phone was on 2.4 GHz, as is WIFI, I guess. As a result, my phone would knock out my internet connection when someone was talking on it. Got a new phone on 5.8 GHz and now no more interference. Maybe now my phone will screw up my plow...

Pearcelawn
02-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Tried two different controllers(original and a new one) and it did not solve the problem so I went with the wired. The decision to go wired was strictly mine. Sno Way was willing to go further and work on it for me but being a solo op with the one truck (I however have a backup plan with another solo in the area) I opted for "fix it now fix it fast fix it forever" approach.

I have heard the phone story before. It was solved the same way. New phone. Couldn't tell ya where I heard it. Senility must be setting in early!!

As far as I know I am the only one except for one other case,I don't know where, that has had the same problem. Steve at Sno Way told me about it.

RYDER
02-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Was the bolt being to tight crack the case? What caused it to overheat? Another question is when we run in the same vacinity, the remotes run both plow's. The dealer said the remotes should be indipendent to the plow you are running, but I can run his plow and he can run mine kinda crazy I think. any suggjestions.

Thank's "Gump"

If both remotes run both plows go to Snow-ways web site and click on service center and then on wireless control tutorial and watch the video. I think the dealer programed the remotes to work on both plows.

basher
02-10-2008, 06:22 AM
If both remotes run both plows go to Snow-ways web site and click on service center and then on wireless control tutorial and watch the video. I think the dealer programed the remotes to work on both plows.

The receiver only stores one transmitter code at a time. If you read the instructions you start by erasing any previous codes.