PDA

View Full Version : New to the site and Sno-Way plows!

Kevin97Tahoe
01-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Hey guys!

I have been on here with a different name for a while but after some trouble logging in with it I just decided to make a new one.

At any rate I just got rid of my SnowBear (I know I know) and picked up a Sno-Way Predator for a killer price.

We installed it last Sunday and the harness for the plow itself was a simple. The problem we got into was with the lights. I have it on my 97 Tahoe 1500. We could not get the low beams to work on the truck when the harness was not connected to the plow. We were only able to get it to work with the high beams. So basically when I disconnect the plow lights my high beams come on. When we put on the low beams we get nothing.

We are following the directions for the installation off the Sno-Way website but are still having trouble.

Any ideas? We were really stumped as to wear to tap the brown wire.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks!

toby4492
01-04-2008, 10:57 AM
The brown wire would tap into the park lamp wire on the driver's side of the vehicle.

What headlamp connectors do you have on the truck? Are you using an adapter harness? If so which one?

Kevin97Tahoe
01-04-2008, 11:37 AM
The brown wire would tap into the park lamp wire on the driver's side of the vehicle.

What headlamp connectors do you have on the truck? Are you using an adapter harness? If so which one?

I am at work right now but I am having my buddy check on that.

I can explain it though. It has a total of 6 connectors and three wires (two yellow and one brown). Two for each low beam and two for each high beam. Then we have the two that go to the stock harness.

It seems like it would be cut and dry- Yellow going to each blinker and the brown going to the park but no matter what combo we would do it wasnt working.

So the way we have it now when I turn on my lights we get park and nothing else. I hit the high beams and tada we have plow lights. That isnt correct right?

toby4492
01-04-2008, 11:44 AM
No this is not how it should operate. Let me know when you have additional information on the headlamp connectors and potential adapters you are using. Yes the yellow wires splice into the turn signals and the brown to the park lamp. Are you sure that the relay is wired correctly?

Kevin97Tahoe
01-04-2008, 12:45 PM
No this is not how it should operate. Let me know when you have additional information on the headlamp connectors and potential adapters you are using. Yes the yellow wires splice into the turn signals and the brown to the park lamp. Are you sure that the relay is wired correctly?

See my thinking is that it was the relay but when I looked at it it seemed correct.

We have the same harness from these directions:

http://www.snoway.com/service/LightKits/97100352c.pdf

Do you have a link to the correct way the relay should be? Then I can double check that it is in fact hooked up correctly.

Thanks for your help!

toby4492
01-04-2008, 12:57 PM
See my thinking is that it was the relay but when I looked at it it seemed correct.

We have the same harness from these directions:

http://www.snoway.com/service/LightKits/97100352c.pdf

Do you have a link to the correct way the relay should be? Then I can double check that it is in fact hooked up correctly.

Thanks for your help!

The relay wiring instructions are on this same guide. Do you have the white wires between the plow lights connected together?

Kevin97Tahoe
01-04-2008, 01:54 PM
The relay wiring instructions are on this same guide. Do you have the white wires between the plow lights connected together?

Yes the lights are connected to one another.

basher
01-04-2008, 06:22 PM
I can explain it though. It has a total of 6 connectors and three wires (two yellow and one brown). Two for each low beam and two for each high beam. Then we have the two that go to the stock harness.

You should have 8 wires at the relay. The link you posted is correct .

It seems like it would be cut and dry- Yellow going to each blinker and the brown going to the park but no matter what combo we would do it wasnt working.

Yes yellow turn, brown parking.

So the way we have it now when I turn on my lights we get park and nothing else. I hit the high beams and tada we have plow lights. That isnt correct right?

Could be a bad relay, could be mis-wired, could have wrong adapters.

If I have this correct you're saying that you have no lights at all on the truck until you attach the plow? Then the truck lights come on but only on high beam, and only if the plow is plugged in?
Do the truck lights have to be turned on?

Kevin97Tahoe
01-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Let me start over. The light harness harness replaces the stock harness. When we plug in sno-way light harness we only get high beam and no low beam. Once we plug in the lights they come in place of the high beams on the truck.

Basically we have no low beam.

toby4492
01-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Did you determine the headlamp connectors and whether you require an adapter?

If the connectors are 2B/2D or HB2 you don't require an adapter.

If you have HB3/HB4 you will require adapter #99100202. If they are LF/UF adapter #99100201.

It sounds as the relay is working if it is switching from truck to plow.

Kevin97Tahoe
01-04-2008, 07:19 PM
I will check tomorrow when it is light out and report back.

basher
01-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Let me start over. The light harness harness replaces the stock harness.

Yes I know:nod:

When we plug in sno-way light harness we only get high beam and no low beam. Once we plug in the lights they come in place of the high beams on the truck.

the truck lights work fine when the plows not attached?

Basically we have no low beam.

But this is only on the plow? the truck is OK with out the plow?

Kevin97Tahoe
01-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Prior to putting the plow on the lights worked.

toby4492
01-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Prior to putting the plow on the lights worked.

Kevin,

Prior to doing any installation all vehicle light functions performed correctly. Let's take the plow out of the equation at the moment. Now that you have installed the light harness and relay do the low and high beams function on the vehicle as normal? Meaning do you have low and high beams or just the high beams?

Kevin97Tahoe
01-05-2008, 12:08 AM
Kevin,

Prior to doing any installation all vehicle light functions performed correctly. Let's take the plow out of the equation at the moment. Now that you have installed the light harness and relay do the low and high beams function on the vehicle as normal? Meaning do you have low and high beams or just the high beams?

Only high beans. I currently have no low beam when the lights are unplugged.

Kevin97Tahoe
01-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Did you determine the headlamp connectors and whether you require an adapter?

If the connectors are 2B/2D or HB2 you don't require an adapter.

If you have HB3/HB4 you will require adapter #99100202. If they are LF/UF adapter #99100201.

It sounds as the relay is working if it is switching from truck to plow.

Where can I find these numbers?

toby4492
01-06-2008, 11:30 PM

Usually there is enough information on the headlamp lens to determine which adapter you would potentially need. Post what you find on them.

basher
01-07-2008, 05:17 AM

From the pics you posted you should have the quad composite adapters.

they why to tell is
2B/2D or HB2 you have only one light and filament per side.

If you have HB3/HB4 you will require adapter #99100202. quad individuals 4 lights and filaments per side

If they are LF/UF adapter #99100201. quad composite 2 bulbs and 4 filaments a side

B&B
01-07-2008, 06:10 AM
Kevin's Tahoe will have the HB3/HB4 lights.

basher
01-07-2008, 06:24 AM
From the pics you posted you should have the quad composite adapters.

they why to tell is
2B/2D or HB2 you have only one light and filament per side.

If you have HB3/HB4 you will require adapter #99100202. quad individuals 4 lights and filaments per side

If they are LF/UF adapter #99100201. quad composite 2 bulbs and 4 filaments a side

You think i have that backward, possibly I was working from memory, something I'm too old to do:nod:

You think

HB3/HB4. quad composite 2 bulbs and 4 filaments a side

LF/UF .quad individuals 4 lights and filaments per side

I'll double check, but I think we both agree he has quad composite lights.

B&B
01-07-2008, 06:40 AM
HB3/HB4 would take the 9005/9006 bulbs...

So 2 bulbs, two filaments per side....at least on a Tahoe with composites .:)

basher
01-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Yeah double checked 202 adapters

Kevin97Tahoe
01-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Kevin's Tahoe will have the HB3/HB4 lights.

Yes. Sorry guys I am an idiot and was looking on the plow lights for these numbers. :D

So since I have the HB3/HB4 lights I need a special adapter?

Link if available online?

toby4492
01-07-2008, 03:26 PM
So since I have the HB3/HB4 lights I need a special adapter?

Yes you will need part #99100202 adapter harness. Contact your authorized retailer for purchase.

Kevin97Tahoe
01-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Any idea what those run roughly?

toby4492
01-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Any idea what those run roughly?

Pricing is best obtained from a retailer.

Kevin97Tahoe
01-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Is it normal for like bumpy roads for the blade to drop a little?

Also does the switch on the motor need to be in the raise/off position when driving? Could this be why?

toby4492
01-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Is it normal for like bumpy roads for the blade to drop a little?

Also does the switch on the motor need to be in the raise/off position when driving? Could this be why?

The switch on the pump cover will not have an effect on the plow dropping during transport. A couple of possibilities could be debris in a valve,(possibly spool or check) or a cylinder seal that is starting to fail. Do you have any manuals for this plow? If not you can get them in the service center on our website.

Kevin97Tahoe
01-10-2008, 04:55 PM
What is that switch for?

toby4492
01-10-2008, 05:00 PM
What is that switch for?

Kevin,

Send me a PM with your email address and I will forward you the manuals. The switch is on the pump cover to operate the jackstand on the plow. You use it when putting the plow on or taking it off the truck. It does need to be in the proper position when operating the plow so that all functions operate as they should.

basher
01-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Is it normal for like bumpy roads for the blade to drop a little

Just a little then it stops?

only when you take it all the way up?

Does it cycle rapidly on DP?

Sometimes if a unit sits for a long time in the same position it creates a rough spot that does not allow the oil ring to properly seal. If it just moves a little then stops could be the problem. Try not raising the blade all the way and see if it still happens.

Kevin97Tahoe
01-10-2008, 10:00 PM
No it definitely goes up and down no problem with no stops and it goes down perfect.

I mean it doesnt go down alot but if I go for a drive on a bumpy road it will go down slighty but enough to notice when I hit up.

I mean its nothing serious or drastic but figured I would ask.

basher
01-11-2008, 05:04 AM
Something's getting a little tired, could be the lower valve but I'd go with scars on the inside of the lift ram. As long as it's as you describe I'd not worry until it became significantly worse.

Kevin97Tahoe
01-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Just wanted to say that I got to use my sno-way for the first time today and I couldnt be more happy with the result.

Shortened my plow time from the Snow Bear by a few hours.

Cant wait for the next round of snow. :)