PDA

View Full Version : Help needed on cutting edge for packed gravel,etc.

capt caper
01-31-2007, 08:32 AM
I have only plowed with a steel cutting edge and now I'm plowing drives in NH that is made from crushed gravel and dirt mix..typical stuff used to make gravel roads and drives here.

I seem to dig in and pick up lot's of rocks and when not frozen digs in deep easily.

I read about these special cutting edges for gravel. How are these in combination with my Fisher 8ft. HD and the dirt drives? Should I invest in one and if so what do you recommed for our plows?

Jim

LON
01-31-2007, 10:30 AM
A rubber cutting edge works very well for gravel. We have used one for 14 years in our driveway. Drawback to them is they don't scrape well on packed snow.
Lon

Rickco
01-31-2007, 12:43 PM
A urethane edge is what you want. They will scrape better than rubber but not as good as steel on hard pack. They will out last a steel edge. They are a little pricey but well worth the money if you are doing lots of gravel/dirt drives or roads. We've been using them on 2 of our trucks for the last 5 years and love them. Don't want to plug any non-sponsors here but if you PM me I'll tell you,some are much better than others.

sweetk30
01-31-2007, 06:53 PM
or you might be one of the few that needs to run wear shoes to keep the edge off the ground just a bit.

1lowGMC
01-31-2007, 07:03 PM
I use the shoes, they keep the blade about 1/2" off the ground. It's the only way I can do my stone driveway. It sucks on paved drives, it leave 1/2" of snow with two little lines on each pass.

DeereFarmer
01-31-2007, 08:18 PM
I always just use my shoes. I have a very long packed gravel driveway and a decent sized paved driveway with a three car parking lot. It is a pain to take the shoes off to do the pavement, but I could be shoveling all of it.

capt caper
02-01-2007, 08:36 AM
or you might be one of the few that needs to run wear shoes to keep the edge off the ground just a bit.

I tried the shoes once and they dug into the drive. The drive wasn't frozen yet. Maybe once it freezes hard they would be ok.

Maybe I should bited it and try a urathane edge as I never have..

capt caper
02-01-2007, 08:37 AM
A urethane edge is what you want. They will scrape better than rubber but not as good as steel on hard pack. They will out last a steel edge. They are a little pricey but well worth the money if you are doing lots of gravel/dirt drives or roads. We've been using them on 2 of our trucks for the last 5 years and love them. Don't want to plug any non-sponsors here but if you PM me I'll tell you,some are much better than others.

I PM'd you...

hdcust
02-01-2007, 10:11 PM
can I also get the name of a place for the poly cutting edge? Id like to check them out. I do alot of the same type driveways. I usually backdrag these the first time I plow to pack down some snow on the drive and once that freezes you dont dig in as much. I also do this for driveways with stone covering them, like blue stone or crushed stone which there are quite a few houses around the lake here that do.
I also know guys that beat up new blades on pavement to wear them down and take the new edge off and roll it over a bit.

capt caper
02-02-2007, 07:26 AM
can I also get the name of a place for the poly cutting edge? Id like to check them out. I do alot of the same type driveways. I usually backdrag these the first time I plow to pack down some snow on the drive and once that freezes you dont dig in as much. I also do this for driveways with stone covering them, like blue stone or crushed stone which there are quite a few houses around the lake here that do.
I also know guys that beat up new blades on pavement to wear them down and take the new edge off and roll it over a bit.

That is an idea I might try.. To back drag the whole drive until it freezes..Were we are everything is snowcovered and sanded once winter is in .. they sand every morn here as we get lots of flurrys in norther nh.

Fordistough
02-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Shoes, Shoes, Shoes.