PDA

View Full Version : Snowbear on dirt (mud) / gravel

mleichtle
10-28-2006, 10:43 AM
Looking for opinions. I've been using a beeter F-150 with a beet up old western plow. The plow is welded on, and has one foot bracket busted. It tears up the drive way pretty good. And I'm tired of running around with a battery charger, or getting cars stuck trying to jump it. I can't get it started at all when its below 10 degrees. I paid $800 for the whole set up, and used it for the past 7 years, so I got my moneys worth. But its just crying for the junk yard, the drivers side door doesn't close any more, and the tranny does that whine thing before it pops into gear. Thats when it stalls most of the time.

I'm looking at the snowbear online, I have an 02 Dakota with 4wd I could put it on. My driveway is 500+ feet long thats in pretty rough shape. One area in the turn around gets muddy if the grounds not frozen, and the narrow part has that grass hump in the middle. Plus I'm out in the open here in Wisconsin, so I get drifting pretty bad, one year I had 3 ft drifts and the plow just tripped and I got stuck. Will a shiny new Snowbear do the same thing, will I kill it? I can't afford any thing more than that right now.

Yaz
10-28-2006, 02:15 PM
I took a look at it for you, it may work for one drive way that long like in your case. The manual angling is going to me PIA.

groundbreakers
11-06-2006, 08:35 PM
i have one currently .. ive got a 98 Dakota 4x4 .... works good on mine doesnt weigh it down much at alll .... its a manual angle but .. if you know what you doin while plowing .. i dont have to angle it much at all ...

Snowman19
11-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Like Yaz said, Its going to be a PITA To have to get out every time to angle it. You might be better off trying to find a 6.5 western for it, it will be easier. Just my imput.

jeepplow
11-08-2006, 07:33 AM
I have a snowbear on my Wrangler. I have a similar driveway, long and mud/gravel surface. The snowbear did a fine job for me. I had the whole drive stoned with crushed limestone about 1/2-3/4" size; the snowbear didn't did up the stone much at all.

Before the snowbear, I had an F-350 and 7.5' Western. This set up dug up the driveway much more than the snowbear.

I had some drifting but nothing close to 3 feet. The snowbear handled 9-12" snow with no problem.

corkireland
11-10-2006, 02:03 PM
I would hate to see what would happen to a snowbear if you tried pushing through a a couple three foot drifts. Consider some other options as well. Such as a western midweight or a fisher Ld, snoway 26 series blizzard 760 to name a few. You spend more up front but I'd be willing to bet that any of these plows will out last a snowbear by far when comparing side by side in the same condition. Not to mention how nice it will be to have a fully functional plow that you can operate from with in the truck. These plows mount and dismount fairly quickly and don't have to be left on like the old cable plows of old.

Right now snoway has a deal on their st and Mt series plows clearout and can be purchased for around $2500.00 through plows unlimited. they carry the full five year warranty and are brand new just being clearance to make way for the new models.

But any of these plows would be worth the investment in my humble opinion over a snowbear. And matched correctly with your dakota is not going wear out your truck any more so than a snowbear. It just sounds like you need something a little more substantial then a snowbear thats all. :salute:

PhantomRacer
11-10-2006, 05:15 PM
fwiw, I have plowed deep snow with my 2wd 94 chevy p/u...have made snow mounds taller than a car is tall... It is far better than virtually anyone gives them credit for...except SB owners.

A SB is always better than hand shoveling...Is it as good as any other real plows out there..probably not..but if you just want to push now out of the way...it does that..quite well.

Sometimes there ARE no other choices...for my 94 chevy..the SB is the only choice that will mount to it and work..which is fine with me..

For the 500' driveway....if the choice is a SB or hand shoveling..u know what line I will be in!!!

Paul

bryanj23
11-22-2006, 01:59 PM
I would hate to see what would happen to a snowbear if you tried pushing through a a couple three foot drifts. Consider some other options as well. Such as a western midweight or a fisher Ld, snoway 26 series blizzard 760 to name a few. You spend more up front but I'd be willing to bet that any of these plows will out last a snowbear by far when comparing side by side in the same condition. Not to mention how nice it will be to have a fully functional plow that you can operate from with in the truck. These plows mount and dismount fairly quickly and don't have to be left on like the old cable plows of old.

Right now snoway has a deal on their st and Mt series plows clearout and can be purchased for around $2500.00 through plows unlimited. they carry the full five year warranty and are brand new just being clearance to make way for the new models.

But any of these plows would be worth the investment in my humble opinion over a snowbear. And matched correctly with your dakota is not going wear out your truck any more so than a snowbear. It just sounds like you need something a little more substantial then a snowbear thats all. :salute:

Just heard back from Snoway (plows unltd. sends your info to the factory) myself: $2900 for 6'8" shipped for my Cherokee. Not bad...Not great...Gonna keep looking.

bryanj23
11-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Like Yaz said, Its going to be a PITA To have to get out every time to angle it. You might be better off trying to find a 6.5 western for it, it will be easier. Just my imput.

IMO I'll get out of the cab a couple times to save $2-3k. I could understand if you are going to plow out your 10 neighbors or something. Sounds to me that with the turn around with a mound in the middle he could angle the blad one direction and go 'round until it's done without much angling.

jcesar
11-22-2006, 02:04 PM
manual angling?
That sucks. But if it is all you can afford, then go for it. If you want something a little nicer, but can't afford it all, figure out how much you lack, and go bid the neighbors and see if you can produce the extra cash you need. That is how I got my first plow!! JMO

bryanj23
11-22-2006, 02:08 PM
manual angling?
That sucks. But if it is all you can afford, then go for it. If you want something a little nicer, but can't afford it all, figure out how much you lack, and go bid the neighbors and see if you can produce the extra cash you need. That is how I got my first plow!! JMO

Great plan! If I had the time I'd do that myself!