PDA

View Full Version : Plow size on the new 06 Duramax Diesel

DRG
08-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Fisher is telling me a 7.6 RD plow is the only thing that I can out on the new truck .I would like a 8 ft .Any thoughts .

DRG

jglandscaping
08-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Is it a crew cab? You can run a 8ft now problem, don't worry.
James

DRG
08-02-2006, 09:19 PM
Yes extra cab !!

basher
08-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Fisher can not advise you to but a blade on that exceeds your allowable front axle rates. for more info search the site for "FVMSSA". Other manufacturers make 8 foot plows rated for your vehicle.
With an x cab you need at least a 8 foot blade. In my opinion all full size truck should run at least a 8 foot blade.

Rbronkema psfd
08-03-2006, 10:10 PM
My buddy has an 05 2500hd chevy ex-cab short box w8.1liter v8. He has one of those 9 foot fisher x blades on his truck. He also put the timbern suspention system on the front to help carry the load. I wouldn't see any problem with putting an 8 footer on that truck. If need be buy the timbern front mount suspention system. That is only like 160 bucks. hope this helps. Also the x-blades are stainless steel too. Not that light weight either

Gicon
08-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Whose making the payments? Oh, you are? You can do whatever you want. Chevy wants their money every month. They dont care if you run with a 7' 8' or 9'. Just get them their money !!! Go with an 8'er....push some snow, make some money...Good Luck:)

jt5019
08-09-2006, 10:05 PM
I dont think you will be happy with a 7.6 i would go with atleast a 8 footer.

STANSUSKI
08-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Go With 8 Footer

NoFearDeere
08-29-2006, 07:48 PM
Timbrens and an 8 or 8.5 plow

Yaz
08-29-2006, 08:38 PM
Ask me...

I have a ext cab 6.6.

I cranked torsion bars the day I picked it up but 4 and 4.5 turns to get it more level.

Fisher recommended the 7.5LD blade.. My cousin bent his with a truck like mine only it is a 03

I Installed a 8'HD on my truck it carried it without any issues.

I tried a 8' X-Blade on my truck, what I wanted from the start. Sagged but not bad.

Added timbrins up front..

Swapped to 8' X-Blade.. very little sag.. as a matter of fact it drops the same if not less than my friends F-250 that has a much higher front GVW when we compared side by side. That's about 1inch.

IBEW103
09-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Ask me...

I have a ext cab 6.6.

I cranked torsion bars the day I picked it up but 4 and 4.5 turns to get it more level.

Fisher recommended the 7.5LD blade.. My cousin bent his with a truck like mine only it is a 03

I Installed a 8'HD on my truck it carried it without any issues.

I tried a 8' X-Blade on my truck, what I wanted from the start. Sagged but not bad.

Added timbrins up front..

Swapped to 8' X-Blade.. very little sag.. as a matter of fact it drops the same if not less than my friends F-250 that has a much higher front GVW when we compared side by side. That's about 1inch.

Ditto,

I have a 06 chevy ext cab 6.6 diesel as well and prior to buying the vehicle last year I had been using a 1 ton chevy dump witha 9 foot x blade.

However I was told the very same thing by fisher, that they advise a 7.5. My comment after hearing that info was. "And you want me to do what with a 7.5 plow. So I went with 8 foot SS X blade, I have no problems with it and everything is fine.

GO FOR IT you'll regret it if you go with a 7.5 blade, trust me.

I did the same thing as the previous poster and person I qouted, I cranked the torsion bar 4 to 4.5 cranks and I added timbren pins in the front, and the truck sits nice and doesnt dip much at all with the pins in. and she pulls a bobcat as well with no issues

Ron's Lawncare
09-15-2006, 01:11 PM
there is no doubt that the truck can take an 8' plow the only problem is with the duramax and an 8' plow you are over the front axle weight rating. all the d.o.t. will do is weigh the truck look at the door sticker then write you a summons. by the way you will be told to remove the plow before the truck will be allowed to leave the check point.

Yaz
09-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Like the DOT is going to stopping us when were are plowing. 4800 hundred pounds. Not a chance that is over the limit. the Truck only weighs 6000. It only slightly over the 65% front gvw recommended rating.

TTA89
09-15-2006, 06:29 PM
YAZ,

Where did you get the plow installed? I need to find someone that will do it, I want the 8 X as well.

Thanks

IBEW103
09-15-2006, 08:24 PM
YAZ,

Where did you get the plow installed? I need to find someone that will do it, I want the 8 X as well.

Thanks

Franklin motors in Dracut ma.

IBEW103
09-15-2006, 08:53 PM
there is no doubt that the truck can take an 8' plow the only problem is with the duramax and an 8' plow you are over the front axle weight rating. all the d.o.t. will do is weigh the truck look at the door sticker then write you a summons. by the way you will be told to remove the plow before the truck will be allowed to leave the check point.

THE D.O.T. ????????? Are you serious? What cop would ever waste his time weighing pickups with plows during a storm or not during a storm. I dont know what state you live in but I could say with the utmost confidence that would absolutly never happened here in Ma not unless you ran over a group of nuns carrying bundles of food to the homeless shelter during a blizzard and they all died. And more than likely it would be the insurance co who would pick up 1st on the fact that the plow shouldnt have been on the truck, so when you got out of jail for killing the nuns they would deny any claims and every cent you ever made after your release would go to them.

However that analogy being very sarcastic and most extreme, I again ditto "YAZ" on the GVW point he made.

So go for it get the X blade SS and enjoy it, I have a 06 Durmax ext cab shortbed and I have a SS X blade and mine is great. Although I'm contemplating selling it for the SS V X blade there is nothing wrong with it.

But I do have this advice for you if you go with a blade not recomended for the truck. If the dealer ever asks you what your running for a blade (and this would only come up if you needed front end work and they noticed the plow frame). tell them your runninga 7.5 and DO NOT drive into the dealer with the blade on especially if your going there for fornt end work.The reason is the obvious, and that is they can void your warranty if they want to if its not a blade the manufacturer honors.

Yaz
09-17-2006, 01:30 AM
Franklin motors in Dracut ma.

Actualy Andy at Frankin did my last two trucks. He's a great guy. Andy wanted me to do cash and carry. PM me if you want to know who installed it on this truck.

Yaz
09-17-2006, 01:44 AM
YAZ,

Thanks

Hey.... you have chosen not accept privet messages. I tried to tell you.:crying: :

I just typed a page of info and it wouldn't take it....:realmad:

TTA89
09-18-2006, 12:19 AM
I don't see anyway to activiate it in the settings. I wouldn't shut it off, so it must be something stupid like I have to have x number of posts or whatever. I tried to send you a PM and it wouldn't let me.

Can you email me the info please? :) miketta89 at hotmail.com

Thanks!
-Mike

IBEW103
09-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Actualy Andy at Frankin did my last two trucks. He's a great guy. Andy wanted me to do cash and carry. PM me if you want to know who installed it on this truck.

Ya I did cash and carry with Andy as well (well sort of) I paid for the balde and install via thru a friend of mine who owns an auto repair garage and who does alot of business with Andy so,

So to the guy looking to get an X blade installed, It can be done.

As a matter of fact if you want a Stainless Steel X balde I will sell you mine I want $3,500 for it. And you can have it installed on your own and if you cant find anyone to do it for you I can help with that.

PM me and let me know.

TTA89
09-18-2006, 11:36 PM
Thats what I'm looking for is a SS 8 foot X blade but I need it installed.

Antnee77
09-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Where in MA are you? It's so damn simple to do, I'd give you a hand if you were nearby. At least you save on the installation cost!

IBEW103
09-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Thats what I'm looking for is a SS 8 foot X blade but I need it installed.

Like I said, if you buy the plow from me I will help you out in getting professionaly installed, I know mechanics that are more than compintent to handle the job.

And not to sound like a salesman, but this fits you need a plow and your in the market for what I'm selling. You could save a bundle, If I'm correct I believe a SS X blade brand new cost almost 5 grand or just under maybe if you get it for a steal you'll pay 4,600. My blade has only been used a few times, you can see it for yourself if you like.

CrazyCooter
09-21-2006, 03:44 PM
I have on 03 6.0 gas, and have an 8 1/2 SS Xblade; ran it last year and had no problems, did crank the torsion bars,no other problems other than piss poor tire wear, that's because some crazy guy (me *cough* *cough*) had replaced the factory tires with 6 ply. Now back to 10 ply.

Yaz
09-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Getting the plow off as soon as your done plowing is best advise I can give to avoid excess wear and tear on your trucks and tires. Any truck will be be much happier without the hanging off the front end.

IBEW103
09-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Getting the plow off as soon as your done plowing is best advise I can give to avoid excess wear and tear on your trucks and tires. Any truck will be be much happier without the hanging off the front end.

I agree I drop my blade as soon as I'm done, #1 because of the reason afore mentioed and # 2 I dont like driving around if I dont have to with the blade on becuase it's only a matter of time before I open someones car open like a giant can opener would with the corner of the blade. Wait wait I'm having flash backs I already did that not with the current truck but with a 1 ton dump and a nine footer blade, not a pretty site well for the other nothing happend to my truck.