PDA

View Full Version : What should i get??

southofheaven73
03-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Hey, I've been plowing with my uncles truck for this winter...well what we had at least down here in CT :realmad: .My uncle has a 02 f-350 w/ xblade and spead caster. , but i was thinking about buying my own truck. I dont know if i should go used, or just work my ass off and get something newer? Can some one help me out?? thanks

justme-
03-10-2006, 09:59 AM
preference my friend.
I comprimised and bought a newer used truck when I bought.
Looked at an old Chevy that need tons of work, and would continousily need repairs from age- high repair cost.

brand new truck has full warranty, should not need any repairs for a couple of years, high purchase cost/monthly payment.

Newer used truck means some repair costs sooner than later but not as many as an older truck but higher cost- overall managable monthly payments.

Try to buy plow truck in good condition or buy one without a plow (that has not been plowed) and add the plow yourself. Costs versus the possibility of the truck being abused plowing and the added wear and tear of plowing.

I bought a 2 year old truck for example. Still running it...100K miles later (and 6+ years) the maintenance has been reasonable, but demanding more $$ for it in the recent 2 years.

you'll get all of the above opinions from different people, possibly explaining their reasons in a different way (still the same underlying cause tho).

The basic question is what can YOU afford per month. Now find something suitible based on your financial position.

Fordistough
03-10-2006, 05:22 PM
What you want to do id buy a tough truck that is used, but will not cost you a fortune in repairs. When you can make enough money with that truck, then you can move up to new. New is always better for cost effectiveness, but not always feesable when starting off.

-Thann

Antnee77
03-10-2006, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't go new. You're just starting out and it's probably just going to take a lot of abuse anyhow. I would get a truck that's maybe 5 years old to save some money, but if you get a nice one, you'll have something that won't need any work at all. What kind of truck are you looking at?

02Chevy
03-11-2006, 10:52 AM
justme
i agree with everything you said

southofheaven73
I was in the same boat as you two year ago and I bought a two year old truck with 28000 miles on it. the truck has been great but I wish I had bought a 3/4 ton instead of my 1/2 but after I get it paid off Iím going to get a bran new next year. So I say go with used and work up to a new truck.

cet
03-11-2006, 11:24 PM
You might want to get a few years under your belt before you buy new. Take a good look at all the plow trucks. There will be a few scratches here and maybe a dent there. These tend to hurt more on a new truck. I would not buy real old as I am not the mechanically inclined but 2-4 years old would be good.