PDA

View Full Version : HID lights ballast in Fisher harness?

Yaz
03-07-2006, 03:11 PM
I was thinking of adding HID's in my truck.. Not on the plow. Since the factory headlight harness is plugged into the Fisher harness. I would have to power the ballast into the Fisher light harness.

Some mfg's suggest not using the factory harness because of the draw that HID create at startup. Would the Fisher harness correct this or make it worse???

Anybody done this? I hate being the first and waste not only the cash but my time and worse yet fry something up like the Fisher relay box or my factory harness.

Thanks, Yaz

Crash935
03-07-2006, 07:59 PM
The isolation module wouldnt help the situation any, it works like a switch and just reroutes the signal when you ground out the iso mod by plugging in the plow.

You could get some plugs from the junk yard for the headlights and wire the truck headlights from the ballast into a seperate switch in the cab with power from the battery. You would just have to unplug the fisher plugs at the truck headlights protect the ends so that they dont get corroded ro short out by touching something they shouldnt.

Yaz
03-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Sounds like too much of a pain with two harnesses. I may just try the Silverstar bulbs to get a tad more light with less aggravation. I called JP Customs to see what they think. They have yet to call me back.

Antnee77
03-07-2006, 10:20 PM
I was actually thinking of doing the same in my truck. I can't see why it'd be a problem, plugging the plow harness into the ballasts.

pbeering
03-08-2006, 02:17 PM
No need to do fancy wiring, extra harness, etc. The kit will plug directly into the plug that now connects to the headlamp mounted in the truck. I have HID on everything in the fleet and have had no issues with start-up (or any other draw).

Yaz
03-08-2006, 03:48 PM
That's what I was thinking but I was nervous that it would break something.
I was also thinking that the plow harness was bigger and would take more then the stock one. I was told back in 99 that the factory harness was smaller than privious years but the installer.

That's it.. I'm going to try it. JP Customs called me back and said the kit they sell will only trigger the relays with the bulb connectors and is 70 bucks more.. I may go this wrought since they are sylvainia ballasts. Better safe than sorry.

Right after I pay my XM and Onstar bill.. Please just a few more storms.