PDA

View Full Version : adding plow to a dodge 1500 quad 4x4 help

dss56
02-25-2006, 03:13 PM
I called a few places today here in boston ma. to get some prices for a fisher snow plow minute mount. Both places told me truck not made for a plow front axel not beefy enough. I want a 7.5 ft. blade with the minute mount or a plow that is the same as the fisher setup.

My question is has anyone had a plow setup on a 1500 quad ram 4x4 1/2 ton and what type/make. If i cant have one on my truck that means getting a newer truck. My truck has 53k miles and in great shape. I was told by the plow people that a GMC/Chevy is the best truck for a plow setup.

What else do i need to add so truck will not over heat it does not have the plow package?

Any comments appreciated thanks

cha-chas plowin
02-25-2006, 03:25 PM
i have a blizzeard on mine it works fine i was told by a garage here told me that dealers were told not to put theam on 1500 2002 but thay did on minexysport

Crash935
02-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Try using the plow manufactures links above, many of them have application links that will tell you what size plow you can put on your truck by entering your trucks info.

dss56
02-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Sorry i left the year of my truck off the post its a 2001 quad 1500 4x4

justme-
02-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Can you do it- yes. What plow models can you install- any 7'6" that will fit a non quad cab 1500.
Will you have a dealer install it- probabily not. the thing is, as you said dodge engineers say the front axle is not strong enough to handle the weight of the plow in the quad cab trucks. the quad cab body puts a significant amount of weight forward versus the std cab. the plow mounts are the same as a std cab truck. The issue is liability- dealer's don;t like to install them because Dodge says no. You may need to install it yourself, but yeah you can have one installed. You'll need Timbrens to help with the load.

I don;t recomend adding the plow because it will seriously affect the front end's life- ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rod ends (marginally), track bar, etc.
It's not the springs that are the issue, but the axle itself it not rated for that load.
My 96 CTD 2500 is the same issue- but I plow it as do many other's with trucks the manufacturer says no. You have to expect accelerated front end wear once you add the plow.

Crash935
02-26-2006, 01:08 PM
its not that the axle isnt beefy enough, they use the same front end components on a regular cab that they use on a quad cab. Its that you could have 6 people in a quad cab with the plow on the truck which would put you over your gross axel rating. Odds of everyone one driving around with 6 people in the truck while yjou have the plow on are pretty slim but it does become a liability issue since the potential is there. So, yes a plow can be put on a quad cab, will a dealer do it, probably not. It is something that you can do yourelf and just be aware that you shouldnt throw 6 people in the truck unless you going to take the plow off.

justme-
02-27-2006, 09:48 AM
it's not the possibility of 6 people in the cab, it's the differenc in weight and balance over the configuration of the quad cab. The Qcab has more body weight over the the front of center point on the frame which transfers more weight on the front axle- empty. More weight of the truck on the front axle means less available payload weight on the front axle.

They never manufacturers never consider you to have full passanger occupancy when plowing, some only rate for the driver while most rate driver and 1 passanger combined weight of (get this) under 350lbs.

It is the same axle as the std cab, that's the point. More vehicle weight is on it than in the std cab (the q cab weighs more than a std cab) reducing it's load capability.

The same issue occurs with the 94-00 2500 Diesel's. NONE of them were certified for plowing because of the weight of the engine, but DC did offer snow plow prep, and they generally would warranty Std cabs, but they flat out denied Qcabs and xtra cabs for plows- same reasons.

00 Ram
02-27-2006, 11:21 AM
I have an '00 quad, and I wound up going w/ a snowbear...which I wouldn't suggest for commercial use, but it fits my needs just fine.

for the reasons stated above, I didn't want a "regular" or "heavy-duty" plow, because it would risk being just too darn heavy. I wanted a used "light duty" fisher, (~450lbs), or other similar "as light as possible because the truck wasn't meant for plowing, but can probably do it ok anyway" type plow. Was holding out for a sno-way...you might want to consider that, just for its light weight. but anyway, I was looking for months for something in a "used" price range to pop up, but found that this config is rare. So I gave up and went "snowbear". If you're willing to pay "new" $$$, check out sno-way.

funny thing...the truck has no "plow package", per se, but it does include every option listed in the factory plow prep package, because it has the "trailer towing prep" package: heaviest front axle, transmission cooler, trans temp warning light, heavy-duty alternator.

works great with the snowbear...can push alot of snow. front end drops about 1/2" when I raise it. :D weighs around 300lbs. Point is that the truck doesn't strain at all pushing, and while the plow doesn't stress the truck much, a 7' + width of snow weighs the same, no matter what plow you have.

here's a video, if you're interested. 3.6mb
http://home.comcast.net/~cac4/video/theplow.wmv

(16" snowfall. fluffy snow, but 16" at once! )