PDA

View Full Version : Belt driven plow slow. HELP

daninline
01-23-2006, 07:55 PM
I have a 8 foot plow that has a belt driven pump and it is running slow.
I have put on a new pump since it was running slow and guess what it's still going up and side to side slow.
I have to rev it up pritty good to make it faster.
The belt is nice and tight.
Is there some kind of by pass valve in the valve body.

Thanks for any help.

wirenut
01-23-2006, 09:44 PM
you said new pump, never used pump ??
did you flush the system ? check packing nuts ? ajust cables to
valve body. there is a bypass but i doubt thats you prob.
by the way dont compare to an electric..
if it is a used pump they can be rebuilt....just cut the tank
and pull the pump apart. then have everything faced
and your in....

wirenut
01-23-2006, 09:52 PM
another thought, you could have worn spools in the valve body

justme-
01-24-2006, 11:28 AM
If you changed the pump odds are it's worn spools. My chevy does that- the next thing you'll notice is the blade will drop slowly when you're sitting at idle. It's from the worn spools (which get excelerated wear from not useing a carry chain for travel)

tessdad
01-24-2006, 12:13 PM
First, the previous post about NOT comparing a belt driven pump style to an electric is the first thing to think about!

Second, you might have the wrong pulley on this pump. I believe they made a regular and a smaller pulley for the diesels. If your running a regular with a diesel, it will often be too slow. Conversely, if you want a faster pump speed on a gas powered engine, use the smaller pulley. It will eat it up faster, especially on the highway, but it WILL be faster. If your thinking of going this route, be sure to pull the belt when you remove your plow, or use one of the pump saver pulleys with the removable bolt.

daninline
01-24-2006, 12:46 PM
This is a very new pump never used I did flush the system like they said.
I do have the smaller pully of the 2 also.

Well it is starting to creep down while I drive and sit at lights.
Are the worn spools a changeble part?

The plow used to come up supper fast now it just luggs along and the side to side is a dog also.

Thanks

Big Dog D
01-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Check and see if somebody added a filter to it. They were offering inline filters for a while that you could add. It was a metal cannister type filter that you would cut into the low pressure return line. Could be you have one and have blockage. If so hope you saved your old pump!!payup

daninline
01-24-2006, 06:11 PM
Check and see if somebody added a filter to it. They were offering inline filters for a while that you could add. It was a metal cannister type filter that you would cut into the low pressure return line. Could be you have one and have blockage. If so hope you saved your old pump!!payup

It did have a filter till yesterday ;)
I still do still have the old pump :D

I have a buddy who has a valve body he's going to give me :nod:

daninline
01-24-2006, 07:24 PM
Well my buddy can't find the valve body all kinds of stuff is missing so now I'm still searching and he's missing some stuff.

so now I need a valve body or do they sell rebuild kits for them HELP!

Thanks for any help.

daninline
01-24-2006, 07:32 PM
Well my buddy can't find the valve body all kinds of stuff is missing so now I'm still searching and he's missing some stuff.

so now I need a valve body or do they sell rebuild kits for them HELP!

Thanks for any help.

justme-
01-25-2006, 09:45 AM
Yeah- if it creeps down it is Deffinatly the spools- yes they are rebuildable.

Quick solution talk to you're local Fisher dealer- they should be able to get you the rebuild kit OR direct you where to go. They do still service those old plow systems.

I'm not sure what brand the valve bodies are, but they are basically the same as a loader's front control so if you can find the brand and model number any good hydraulic shop should be able to get rebuild parts. Fisher may even be able to tell you the brand and model- if the guys are old time dealers and know their stuff.

douglasl330
01-26-2006, 09:49 AM
About 4 years ago I had the same issue with my 88--Just me/ wirenut are correct with the spools diagnossis-- Fisher dealer carried a kit 4 years back in stock- so you should be good to go! Think snow!

daninline
01-27-2006, 09:39 PM
I have fixed the problem I just took the valve body apart and replaced the 4 O rings and tested it out trying to stack a frozen pile of snow and it picked it up.
Cost 53 cents each and a can of brake cleaner 2.00 and about 1 hour.

Also I talked to a Fisher Dealer and he told me the way to fix a belt driven pump is to wash it out with gas a few times but I bet there are better thinks to clean it out with.

From what he said there are some spots that get clogged in the pump and that's the reason it gets slow

TJS
02-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Did you get the 4 o-rins at a parts store or did you get a rebuild kit from fisher. I have my valve apart now and want to change the o-rings as well. I was thinking just to take the o-rings out and bring them to a good parts store.
Thanks.
T.J.

daninline
02-19-2006, 11:23 PM
I just went to my Napa store with the old ones and matched them up.

I went to Auto Zone and they wanted to sell me one of the mixed packs I told them no thanks :realmad: tey were to lasy on a slow night to go out back and find the right ones.

I plowed the last storm with out a problem after a whole day plowing.