PDA

View Full Version : Cutting edge question

Antnee77
12-31-2005, 04:58 PM
I just bought an 8' cutting edge for my MM2 8' HD plow. It is the 6" edge and when bolted on the plow, it barely even exceeds the base edge. Now the factory edge has been plowed with for a year or two and is pretty well worn and I don't want to use it anymore so that's why I bought a cutting edge. But it seems to me that after this season is over, I will have no more edge. Even the new plows from the dealer come with cutting edges installed on the factory edge. How is this at all useful if the edge doesn't even exceed past the factory edge? Am I missing something?

Crash935
12-31-2005, 06:09 PM
You need to wear the base angle edge down to within an inch of the cutting edge bolt holes before bolting on a cutting edge. Cutting edges installed on new fishers are a dealer thing to try to upsell and make a few more $$ at the time of sale, they comne without a cutting edge from the factory.

Antnee77
12-31-2005, 09:09 PM
Well I'm far from being an inch away from the bolt holes. There's probably almost 5 inches or so left on the factory edge so the cutting edge I install will not do a whole lot. I'm just not so sure I'll be able to scrape anything up with the current factory edge.

Mick
12-31-2005, 10:08 PM
I'd really suggest taking the cutting edge off of a new Fisher. Save it until your base angle is worn down. As it is now, you're just wasting money once the new edge gets to the base angle. You'll either keep buying cutting edges needlessly or wear the cutting edge and the base angle at the same time.

Antnee77
12-31-2005, 11:38 PM
I'd really suggest taking the cutting edge off of a new Fisher. Save it until your base angle is worn down. As it is now, you're just wasting money once the new edge gets to the base angle. You'll either keep buying cutting edges needlessly or wear the cutting edge and the base angle at the same time.

Yeah that's what I figured. I already purchased a new cutting edge for the plow but I haven't installed it for this reason. It is a 6" edge and the base angle on the plow is probably 4-5" right now. It wouldn't make any sense to put a cutting edge on there now. Will I get any scraping ability at all with the factory edge, though?

justme-
01-04-2006, 10:32 AM
yes, you will. Another quirk with Fisher's is if you add the cutting edge now and wear it down to the stock trip edge's level it will reduce the wear considerably and reduce your scraping considerably.

I have been running a cutting edge on mine for 5 years- it is even with the stock edge- about 5-1/2 inches long. I have worn less than 1/2 inch in 5 years! The width of the edge and the stock foot is so great that the PSI on the ground is really lessened so it doesn;t wear as fast, NOR does it scrape as well. It's a trade off.

It scrapes well enough in most cases for me at worst case it's like useing shoes.

Detroitdan
01-04-2006, 10:47 AM
I hate to agree with Justme, but in this case I have to. I always thought you weren't supposed to run the Fisher without an edge, because the base angle is supposed to be protected and not worn down, it is basically like a backing plate for the cutting edge. Right or wrong, that has just always been how I thought it worked. Now these other guys (Mick) make some pretty good points, that I hadn't thought of, but like Justme said, I think having it doubled up would create a lot longer lifespan for both parts.
The best thing I have seen yet was my buddy's 9 foot Fisher edge. He did a lot of roads with his 1 ton dump, and had tried everything. Steel edges would wear too fast, and the carbide edges cost too much and can shatter. So he put one of each on, the steel sandwiched over the carbide to protect it from shattering, and the carbide controlled how fast the steel could wear down. It cost more to set it up, but after two years he was already ahead of the game because it worked so well and lasted so long. In fact I'm a little surprised no one offers something like that pre-laminated for sale.

SGLC
01-06-2006, 07:07 PM
My dealer explained to me that you don't need one right away. He mentioned something about fisher recommending one year use before thinking about applying a cutting edge. Must be right....I asked for one and they said no lol.

Joe D
01-06-2006, 07:11 PM
I always ran an 8" tall edge. They have a longer life span than the 6"

Big Dog D
01-08-2006, 02:22 PM
I always ran an 8" tall edge. They have a longer life span than the 6"

You have to be carefull because they also have more leverage when they are that long and make it that much easier to twist things into pretzel form.

Big Dog D
01-08-2006, 02:27 PM

It really wouldnt be needless wear because by in theroy "doubling" up the edge you spread the load out over more are and it doesn't wear out as fast. We always double up the edges we run on the plows we plow streets with regularly. We run 2, 3/4'' thick cutting edges on the trucks that we send to the Highway Dept.

The down side is that with the edge on, what looks like 1'' away from the bolts on the edge will be even closer on the actual base angle!

Antnee77
01-08-2006, 04:48 PM
The problem with the 8" edge is that it weighs more. My Fisher dealer claims that over time it will put wear on the hydraulic motor of the plow. I don't know.

Big Dog D
01-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Have never experienced any problems.

justme-
01-09-2006, 09:02 AM
Every Fisher guy I have talked to- my local dealer and repair personnell included all said wear the base angle before mounting an edge- the website and owner manual used to say it too. you want the base angle worn down so it's near the top of the wear bars which are welded on the back but no so far that the spring arms are rubbing.

If you use an 8 inch edge and the base angle is not worn you're only wearing 2 inches of edge- the base angle is 6 inches from Fisher.

The now make carbide sandwiched edges- not 2 edges thick, but protected. If he's wearing out edges that fast is he useing plow shoes?

There is a local welder that modifies plows by redrilling the edge mounting holes 2 inchs lower on the base angle giving longer wear life from an edge (4 inched of wear from a 6 inch edge instead of roughly 2 inches). another possibility- which seems more reliable when you don't wear the base angle down as much.

smitty
01-09-2006, 09:32 AM
Every Fisher guy I have talked to- my local dealer and r

epair personnell included all said wear the base angle before mounting an edge- the website and owner manual used to say it too. you want the base angle worn down so it's near the top of the wear bars which are welded on the back but no so far that the spring arms are rubbing.

If you use an 8 inch edge and the base angle is not worn you're only wearing 2 inches of edge- the base angle is 6 inches from Fisher.

The now make carbide sandwiched edges- not 2 edges thick, but protected. If he's wearing out edges that fast is he useing plow shoes?

There is a local welder that modifies plows by redrilling the edge mounting holes 2 inchs lower on the base angle giving longer wear life from an edge (4 inched of wear from a 6 inch edge instead of roughly 2 inches). another possibility- which seems more reliable when you don't wear the base angle down as much.

Every fisher plow that I have used I have redrilled the holes 2" lower and have had good luck with no ill effects!!!!
The two outside hole are a bear to drill as you are into the hard wear plates on the trip angle ,that is when you use the fire wrench or a full carbide drill bit!!!
If you encounter any problems you can always use the origanal holes!!!

Yaz
01-09-2006, 09:55 AM
What ever you decide to do with our without a cutting edge. I believe it is personal preferance... just watch the distance from the holes AND the bottom of the spring perches. when the ground come close put on a new cutting edge or you will be welding up new spring tabs!

Antnee77
01-09-2006, 03:38 PM
I think I will just wait until next season to put on the edge. If we get any snow this season, I will be able to wear down this base edge a bit before mounting on the cutting edge.

Yaz, did you have to do any trimming in the wheel wells or fenders to fit those 285s on your truck? Do you run them on stock rims?

What ever you decide to do with our without a cutting edge. I believe it is personal preferance... just watch the distance from the holes AND the bottom of the spring perches. when the ground come close put on a new cutting edge or you will be welding up new spring tabs!

Yaz
01-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Ok on some trucks....they are not all the same???
You have to trim the bottom on the plastic bumper or lower valance.
Trimming just about 1/2 inch at the bottom tapered about 3 inches up in a triangle.
On the driver side the wheel wheel might touch, but a tie wrap holding toward the front bumper will bend it that way and eventually it will stay there.

justme-
01-11-2006, 09:03 AM
FWIW I am going to have the lowered holes drilled this coming off season just to see how I like it, AND I am going to run a hardface weld on the spring perchs on the sides where I want the wear to stop as a guide for myself.