PDA

View Full Version : Weak pump?

8 Lugs
12-30-2005, 08:53 PM
I've just bought an 89 F150 with a 7.5' Fisher plow for a friend of mine who's not too mechanically inclined (and unemployed) for $500.00, with the understanding that he's to pay me back when he can.
His current (dying) plow rig is a early 60's Chevy truck (what's left of it) and is painful to watch him plow (the seat is held up by the driveshaft)
Anyways, I had to replace one bad hose for the power angle ($40) and both heavy gauge cables (free) to the pump motor on the F150 before trying to operate it.
This particular unit has no ID tad anywhere on it. It has the motor mounted on top of the reservoir with two operation cables from the joystick going to a box on the drivers side of reservoir which is outside mounted on the plowframe.
When attempting operation, the motor runs fine when activated by the joystick. You can hear it slow slightly when it tries to pump. It will not lift the plow unless assisted by a floor jack and barely power angles. The fluid level is fine. With two 12 volt batteries in series (24 volts) it spins the motor faster and power angles a bit quicker, however it still won't lift the plow!
I pulled the motor and pump and disassembled the pump. The rotors had some wear but weren't bad. Minimal up-down play of the rotors when assembled. Counter-clockwise rotation of the pump and motor to draw the fluid around the outside of the gear/ housing assembly for pressurization. Inlet screen clean. All orifices blown out with air. (sprayed jeans with ATF)
At this point I really don't want to shell out $150.00 for a new pump if I don't have to!!!
Has anyone experienced this before or does any one have a helpful suggestion they might add (other then quitting while i'm only out $540.00)
Also, why is it whenever you bend over backwards to help someone, you always end up stepping in something.
Thanks in advance!
Steve G.

8 Lugs
01-01-2006, 07:03 AM
Well, yesterday I bit the bullet and bought/ installed a new pump. Now it lifts and angles great!
Now the truck won't start (no spark)
What next? (aarrrggg!!!)
Steve G.

JCStrasser
01-02-2006, 07:49 AM
Well, yesterday I bit the bullet and bought/ installed a new pump. Now it lifts and angles great!
Now the truck won't start (no spark)
What next? (aarrrggg!!!)
Steve G.

Somewhere along the line this good deed will come back to you in a positive way. Nice guys actually do finish FIRST in the long run. :)

Good luck!
John