PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting plow lift height? (MM1)

Brett K
12-20-2005, 07:24 PM
My plow only raises about 8 inches off the ground. When dropped, I have about 4 inches left of lift cylinder that doesn't compress. The chain is attached to the front holes of the A frame. I also just had the torsion bars cranked for another inch of clearance on the truck.

I am having issues scraping the plow pulling out of the driveway and when angled and fully lifted, the edge rides only an inch off the ground. To make things worse, I have a steep incline to plow down and the plow leaves about two inches before it drops down the incline because there isn't enough slack in the chain.

What is the your set up for fully lifted and how much lift cylinder is left when fully dropped on level ground. Also, what is the best place for adjustment. Will moving to the back chain mount holes on the A frame make much of a difference? I am not really sure I want to have the chain any tighter.

ksland
12-20-2005, 07:34 PM
The only place for adjustment is the chain. Check fisherplows.com and look up the manual there, it has proper adjusting procedures.

Brett K
12-20-2005, 09:52 PM
The only place for adjustment is the chain. Check fisherplows.com and look up the manual there, it has proper adjusting procedures.

I will check that. I see only three possibilities. Adjusting the chain, the chain mount holes in the A frame, and I also noticed three anchor pin holes you can mount the headgear to. I chose the middle setting in assembly after I rebuilt it. Is anyone else using the rear u-bolt mounts on the A frame. How much of an effect did it have? I will probably give that a try next.

wfd44
12-21-2005, 07:23 AM
As far as the anchor holes for the A-frame go; When the blade is dropped (on level ground) the A-frame needs to be level with the ground. That is why there are three mounting holes in the ears on the A-frame. Depending on tire size and how much rise you got out of cranking the torsion bars, adjusting the angle of the A-frame may help some. Also make sure nothing is caught or binding in between the A-frame and headgear causing the plow not to raise all the way.

justme-
12-21-2005, 08:19 AM
That couple of inches of lift ram is supposed to be there- what about when you plow over the crest of a hill? If there's no additional slack for the blade to drop down you can't plow anything.

Sound's like you're problem is suspension, not plow.

alamarc
12-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Check the highway chain too. If its too tight your blade won't drop far enough.

99zr2
01-08-2006, 06:25 PM
I am with alamarc on this check the highway chain. I forgot to take mine off this year and had a simalar problem.

justme-
01-09-2006, 09:09 AM
I put a small bungie cord on my highway chain about half way to hold it up and keep it from jamming the angle then I set the chain so it's tail just touches the frame- this way when the blade is all the way down- hanging in mid air and the lift ram is totally compressed the highway chain is still slack.