PDA

View Full Version : Using the snow foil

lmhagre
12-19-2005, 08:17 PM
I just bought a used Fisher plow that came with a snow foil, but it doesn't look like it has ever been used. The Fisher website didn't help much, I was wondering what are the pros and cons of the snow foil.

douglasl330
12-19-2005, 10:54 PM
I have owned a foil, a deflector and made a few deflectors myself. The foil works great for keeping the stuff off your hood and windshield. The deflector does the same. The only bad thing I can say about the foil is when pushing back bankings, I have tweaked the thing and instead of a round curve had a triangle for the first foot of the foil. The factory deflectors on the old speed casts would give out around the holes where it bolted up top--Fix was to run fender washers and weld them where it bolted to the top of the blade. I am not familiar with how the deflector is mounted today do to no hole in the top of the new blades--Must connect to the ribs in the back of the blade? Like the foil does.

1bohica
12-22-2005, 02:54 PM
have used the sno foil for a 'few' seasons, it's great if you'r plowing long straight stuff to kick it over to either side. The biggest problem, if it could be called a problem, is in heavy wet snow when you go to stack it the snow will actually lift the plow up and sometimes 'drop' over the back side of what you're pushing and if it is too high you will high center your self on the stack and prepare to dig your self out...so the moral is: take same swipes if it's heavy and wet, and watch when the plow starts to lift on it's own, then bqck off the gas

csonallandscape
12-22-2005, 06:13 PM
i have a foil on a 9 foot plow and i love it. the only problem with it is that thwnuts and bolts come loose. i talked to other people and they said the same thing. but i would recamend it on a fisher plow caues it is not as curved like a western.

lmhagre
12-24-2005, 04:30 AM
Thanks for your replies! I got a chance to try it both with and without the foil and since i have a long driveway it deffinetly is better with.

Joe D
12-24-2005, 10:52 AM
The only problem I had with the air foil was in realy deep snow pushing strait the rolling snow would lift the plow off the ground.

Grn Mtn
12-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Has anyone with the foil when it is heavy and wet snow, taken the plow out of float mode?

justme-
12-27-2005, 09:24 AM
Foils also limit your ability to stack snow. I prefer a rubber deflector. on driveway use trucks. I have a foil for my Dump for lots where there is only angle pushes.

also- use nylok nuts- the ones with the nylon insert in the end and they won't loosen Mine came with those from Fisher...