PDA

View Full Version : Tired of 8'HD kicking up

Jakeofall
12-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Hello all, I run a 8'HD on a 99' GMC 3/4. Most of my plowing is on long 1/4 mile private driveways. I've grown tired of the plow kicking up and skipping a small section of the road. I've tried varying my speed and it still does kick up due to the lack of a positive down on the Fishers. A couple years ago I saw an advertisment for an aftermarket shock that you replaced the cable on the lift cylinder. Has anyone tried on of these? or know a link or phone number for them? Or has anyone come up with any other solution for the kick-up issue? Thanks

wfd44
12-18-2005, 06:12 PM
Obviously the edge is tripping on something as that is the only way the plow can "jump up". The plow is working as designed. Find the object(s) that you are hitting and remove them. If this is happening on gravel you might want to run a set of shoes on the plow. If you are already running with shoes then you may need to run them with another spacer or 2.

Joe D
12-18-2005, 07:48 PM
Run a urethane edge. I ran one on my Fisher for 2 years and it would glide over small stuff that would trip the plow before.

Jakeofall
12-18-2005, 09:31 PM
I do run shoes with 4 spacers right now I believe. I'll add 1 or 2 to see if that helps. As for as a new edge, I'm wondering if the urethane edge would be better than a carbide one. Already I noticed that i'm starting to get a curved wear pattern on my trip edge in the middle of the plow of about 3/8". If the steel wears unevenly, i doubt the urethane would hold up that well for me, but i'm sure that is already debated in a thread here.

justme-
12-19-2005, 09:16 AM
You have something in the drive it is tripping on- find and remove it OR mark it's location and slow WAY down when you get near it. There is little need to replace the chain with anything- that's the way it's designed to work, and if it's tripping hard enough to bounce it over a portion of the drive you're going too fast.

Sounds like the drive you are plowing is not flat- the center of the edge should wear last- the edges wear first so the edge becomes smile shaped- if the drive has high spots in the center you get center wear- normal plowing will always wear the edges first because of angling the blade.

Carbide will outlast poly- odds are you don;t have carbide (it's highway plow/bulldozer cutting edge, not normal on a small plow- 8'HD or not) and you mean carbon steel, which poly will outlast normally, but it will curve the same way if your drive is higher in the middle.

I have a drive with a cement pad at the bottom- the blade catches and trips on it every time. Slow down when I get to it it trips lightly and I don't loose any snow except axactly in the gap.

douglasl330
12-19-2005, 07:05 PM
Any chance it's a gravel drive? This would explain the middle thing! If the shoes are riding in ruts this will also be a problem, causing the tripping of the edge. I used two cutting edges doubleing up on my old speedcast set-up and this helped with down pressure, but I would check with your plow dealer though before tring this!---if running electric extra wieght may be a factor to abnormal motor wear!