PDA

View Full Version : Speed Adjustment..

AlwaysGreener
12-06-2005, 02:50 PM
Hello everyone. I just wanted to know if there is a way to speed up the plow. I have a 7 1/2 unimount plow and when going up it is very slow and when angling to the left and right is very slow also..But when angling from right to center is shakes and shakes the truck. New filter and fluid was changed. Thanks for the help

JohnnyU
12-06-2005, 06:17 PM
I bet the plow drops very gently as well, right?

If you look at the plow from the front, you will see a small screw next to the lift cylinder, back that out a turn or so and see if the speed increases, before you go tearing into the pump or motor. The next step would be to pressure test the pump to make sure that it is working properly.

AlwaysGreener
12-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the info..The plow drops at a good rate not to fast not to slow..Now I had the fluid changed and filter. Is it normal for fluid to come pouring out of the top nut when you loosen it? I believe it's the fill hole

JohnnyU
12-07-2005, 08:54 AM
No, it shouldn't pour out. If the lift cylinder is pushed all the way down, and the air is out of the angle cylinders, it should be just a little below the plug, in fact an inch below wouldn't hurt anything.

AlwaysGreener
12-07-2005, 09:03 AM
No, it shouldn't pour out. If the lift cylinder is pushed all the way down, and the air is out of the angle cylinders, it should be just a little below the plug, in fact an inch below wouldn't hurt anything.

Thank you..I will drain some of it out and see what happens. I'm sure it will take a while its minus 6 deg outside..

JohnnyU
12-07-2005, 10:54 AM
If it's really cold outside (like it is almost everywhere right now) the fluid will be your biggest restriction on speed. A low-temperature or aircraft hydraulic fluid would be about all you could do to keep it from 'gelling' when the extreme cold hits. One other thing you could try, is heating the pump, bringing it inside a heated shop or garage, or using one of those battery warmers to see if it doesnt help a little. To go back to what I said in porevious posts, you may just be experiencing the effects of viscosity in these unusually cold temperatures.

AlwaysGreener
12-09-2005, 08:33 AM
Ok are you ready for this? I was plowing last night and my plow was very slow going up and angeling left or right very slow and the plow would shake the whole truck. Well about 6 hours into plowing I notice that the plow was moving faster and all of a sudden it was working great :dizzy: Do you think I need to flush the system again or is it some valve that needs to be cleaned or is it a sign the pump is going bad? Thanks

JohnnyU
12-09-2005, 09:28 AM
I'd test the output pressure of the pump, using that small port at the base of the lift cylinder. In case you dont have the manual downloaded (which would show the test on page 46), I'll type it briefly here.

With the blade on the ground, and the lift cylinder fully collapsed, remove the small pipe plug at the base of the lift cylinder, there might be some residual pressure left in the system, use caution. Use a guage that has a ranger up to 3000psi, just to be safe, screw it into this port (I had to get a nipple (4") and a coupler to be able to get it to clear the manifold block). Raise the plow up completely, read the pump relief pressure when it is raised all the way up, no longer moving. The chart shows what the ideal pressure should be, for the Std/Pro plows, it should read 1750psi, but you can turn it up to 1900psi, which is the pressure that the Heavyweight units use.

This is all found in the Western Service Manual page 46.

Are all your connections tight? Does the motor pulse at all when the plow is shaking, or does it run continuously?

AlwaysGreener
12-09-2005, 10:43 AM
I'd test the output pressure of the pump, using that small port at the base of the lift cylinder. In case you dont have the manual downloaded (which would show the test on page 46), I'll type it briefly here.

With the blade on the ground, and the lift cylinder fully collapsed, remove the small pipe plug at the base of the lift cylinder, there might be some residual pressure left in the system, use caution. Use a guage that has a ranger up to 3000psi, just to be safe, screw it into this port (I had to get a nipple (4") and a coupler to be able to get it to clear the manifold block). Raise the plow up completely, read the pump relief pressure when it is raised all the way up, no longer moving. The chart shows what the ideal pressure should be, for the Std/Pro plows, it should read 1750psi, but you can turn it up to 1900psi, which is the pressure that the Heavyweight units use.

This is all found in the Western Service Manual page 46.

Are all your connections tight? Does the motor pulse at all when the plow is shaking, or does it run continuously?

Thanks again..... I will do the pressure test...Yes all connections are tight. the motor runs continuously . The plow only shakes when I angel it form right back to center. I Had to go back out and plow and it is running very slow again. It seams I should be able to adjust pressures somewhere but I'm not sure.

JohnnyU
12-09-2005, 12:27 PM
You can also take out the cartridge valves and clean them. Just be sure to do them one at a time so you don't mix any of them up.

John, aka GARAGEKEEPER, is the one who would know, but I haven't seen him online in a while...

AlwaysGreener
12-11-2005, 07:40 AM
You can also take out the cartridge valves and clean them. Just be sure to do them one at a time so you don't mix any of them up.

John, aka GARAGEKEEPER, is the one who would know, but I haven't seen him online in a while...

You are the man..Took out the cartridge valves and cleaned them..There must have been some crap on them because when I put them back in and tried it, it worked like a new. Thanks again...:drinkup:

JohnnyU
12-11-2005, 10:19 AM
:drinkup: :drinkup:

No problem, I've been in the same boat over the last few years, I had to chase down a bad ground in the plow-side control harness one morning at 3am, not fun....
Glad I could help (eventually) ;)

kingriver
12-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Would have to agree with previous posts. It's probably due to extreme cold weather. I have the same problem with the plow being really slow. I work it back and forth as I'm driving to the next plow, after alittle use seems to work fine again, the fluid has became liquified instead of somewhat gelled. Hows it work when weather is warmer ? My money would be on the fluid.:cool:

AlwaysGreener
12-11-2005, 12:43 PM
The fluid and filter was just changed in with Western fluid.. It was weird like I said in my previous posts it was very slow I mean very slow going up and angeling left or right..As I was plowing last week half way into my route all of a sudden it was working great back to full speed than toward the and of the night it went back to real slow..I did clean the cartridges as advised and it seams to be ok for now.. I am worried that it may happened later.. I don't think to pump is going bad but I am not sure..If you have any other ideas that I should try that would be great..

AlwaysGreener
12-13-2005, 11:59 AM
Hello again.. Well I was out doing some clean ups and all of a sudden the plow would not raise or even angle.. So on my job site I took off the motor to look at the filter. Now I told you guys that I had it serviced, they said they flushed the system and changed the filter...well guess what the filter was completely clogged with crap so I cleaned the screen off put it back together and drove it to the shop that did the service ,they looked at it and said "this was never even serviced" but I paid for it. So they refunded my money and did the service while I waited.. I give them lots of work through out the year and for them to cheat me like that really sucks. The plow is working great. So for now on I'm doing it on my own..