PDA

View Full Version : lubing movable parts?

Brett K
11-22-2005, 10:52 AM
What have you folks been using to protect your movable parts like lift and angle cylinders, pins, etc? I just replaced all of them on a used Fisher I picked up and want to know what everyone recommends. I have seen people put a thin coat of grease on them but I am curious about the effects on the internal seals.

SnoFarmer
11-22-2005, 11:16 AM
The grease people put on the rams is for summer storage. During the plowing season you don't need to put any thing on the rams, Now, for the pins I use spray on grease.

danno
11-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Fluid film

plowed
11-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Fluid film

DITTO!!! I just ordered a case of it and will be coating everything on the plows and trucks!

snoluvr
11-22-2005, 10:13 PM
I store the plow inside, so it seems to help a lot. After every storm, the plow is washed down, and re-lubed. I coat all moving parts with white lithium grease, or wd-40..depending where.All pins are replaced every two years..Never have had a breakdown yet..worth the hew extra bucks.

justme-
11-23-2005, 10:28 AM
WD40 doesn't stay on long enough , white litheum greese works pretty good. Local dealer recomends Silicone spray- works pretty good. I have alturnated on white lith and silicone- depending on what can is in the truck at the time, but I'll be useing Fluid Film from now on! (if you're replaceing your pins every two years and they're worn moderatly your lube isn't doing anything! Same pins in my MM1 for 6 years now- yeah it's loose and they're worn but never any problems. )

After the rain we had here the past few days the FF on my plow pins is still there- not glossy anymore but definatly still there and lubricating. (WD would be long gone and white lith would have been dried to a film with minimal luberication- silicone would be ok, but it seems to protect more from rust than lubricate on steel

snoluvr
11-23-2005, 10:57 AM
I only change out the parts as a precaution..Like we all carry insurance, I change what wears. I find spending a little bit goes further than breaking down during the night.

ratlover
11-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Spray litium grease. I have a V so I can colapse all my rams. Wash after every storm and then go spray the grease after every storm. Wire and chain lube works ok. WD dosnt stick long enough IMO. Actual grease if I take the part out.

Ron G
11-23-2005, 07:21 PM
What on earth is FLUID FILM ???

:confused: :confused: :confused:

justme-
11-24-2005, 07:51 PM
What on earth is FLUID FILM ???

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Read the "free gift" thread in commercial snowplowing forum.

kingriver
11-24-2005, 07:56 PM
FLUID FILM, A MUST HAVE FOR ANYONE. THE STUFF REALLY STANDS UP TO ITS NAME, TRY IT ON LOCKS AFTER A WASH, GUARANTEE YOUR LOCKS WILL NOT FREEZE-UP IF LEFT OUT IN THE COLD. TRY ALITTLE ON BATTERY CABLES, THE STUFF IS AMAZING:cool: :cool:

Brett K
11-29-2005, 09:08 AM
I wonder how effective a good coat of wheel bearing grease would be on all the pins?

justme-
11-29-2005, 09:42 AM
I wonder how effective a good coat of wheel bearing grease would be on all the pins?
Well, I know it does dry out with air exposure and stops lubricating when that happens (becomes more of a glue at that point) and it gets stiff in the cold, so probabily not too well. There is such a thing as low temp wheel bearing greese which could hold possibility.

I was planning on sleeving my pins and drilling for Zerk fittings when I rebuild mine so I can set a greese gun with White Lith specifically for it, now that I found FF though I don't think I'll go through the effort.

Brett K
11-29-2005, 10:06 AM
Well, I know it does dry out with air exposure and stops lubricating when that happens (becomes more of a glue at that point) and it gets stiff in the cold, so probabily not too well. There is such a thing as low temp wheel bearing greese which could hold possibility.

I was planning on sleeving my pins and drilling for Zerk fittings when I rebuild mine so I can set a greese gun with White Lith specifically for it, now that I found FF though I don't think I'll go through the effort.

Good info. Thanks for saving me the time. I'm waiting on my FF sample.

Mowerpan
11-29-2005, 07:05 PM
I just used wheel bearing grease, it's cold here and its still lubey(nice word ey?)

Robhollar
11-29-2005, 07:13 PM

Ive already sleaved my lifting arm and I drilled and tapped the main pins. I put a 90 deg zerk fitting. And I grease the plow every other event....Rob

dlitten
11-29-2005, 10:16 PM
I've just refurbished my 2nd Fisher plow, and am using wheel bearing grease on all pins. Seems to me, use the thickest stuff you can find on these pins.

In the off-season, I spray on some WD40 on exposed piston shafts.

justme-
11-30-2005, 10:27 AM
WD40 is useless in off season for piston protection- it doesn't last. Seriously man, use white lith, wheel bearing grease, FF or something of the grease nature for your own sake.

Glad to know others have tried it and it's working. I wonder what temps low temp grease is needed for. MI can get pretty cold.

SnoFarmer
11-30-2005, 11:40 AM
I use to use low temp wheel bearing grease as it's good enough for your wheel bearings when the temp goes sub zero, isn't? So it should be good enough for the plow?
Up here in Northern MN ,it gets very cold, The grease won't tern to glue at low temps, only very old grease will harden over time.
I now use a high molybdenum grease (the thick gray stuff) It's what you should be using on pins, hinges, pivot points, every thing that does not have any bearings in it.and lith is to light.
Why? When you use your plow it experiences some very high shock loads.
The thin wheel bearing grease will splash out (even when it's -30) when impacted and it will wash out from the snow.
The thick moly grease won't. It will still be there after a couple of plowings,
I will grease the plow every other time out and there is still some grease from last time.

danno
11-30-2005, 08:29 PM
I also use "waterproof" wheelbearing grease. I have a boat trailer.